Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Godaddy a shambles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know they're cheap and cheerful, but do they have to be operated so cack-handedly?

There's about 15 screens to go through just to register a domain, even if you have an account with them! :dead:
NameBargain and most other registrars is about 5.

I just got another name (NameBargain sometimes don't like my Amex card) from Godaddy, and I tried to setup the domain forwarding that I had already ordered with the domain.
Guess what, another set of screens comes up. Including ones about some damn survey.
Then I go back to the account and it says 'Sorry you don't have any domain names'. I thought they had deleted them somehow!
I logged out and in again, and then they reappeared.

I tried to set up the forwarding again, and then it said enter name, address and account details. Right. Then it asked for credit card details again. I mean it's supposed to be free. :mad: :mad: Why do they need that?

Then it says sorry, invalid account. It tries to set up a new account.

I just couldn't bother any longer at that point...

Anyone else frustrated with their system? :mad: :dead: :confused: :cry:

hanogl

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yep, I used them a while as my preferred registrar but I encountered similar problems. Their website is often a maze, their system every now and then refuses my creditcards (sometimes I was advised through their support line to misspell my name and it worked!) and all kind of weird things happened while transferring names.

Their biggest plus: they have very supportive people on their 24h helplines who really try to help you.
I have now switched most of my business to Enom, seems to be quite a bit more professional.

Hans

hhunterjr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Godaddy.com screens are kind of tricky, but there are a couple of things that may help you out.

Something that should be pointed out is that Godaddy gives you 2 options:

(1) Domain Forwarding - which is totally free
(2) Domain Masking - which does cost some amount of $/year

For Free forwarding, make sure that you check the "Domain Forwarding" box and not the "Domain Masking Box"

Also on the invalid account scenario:

Godaddy.com initially requests an account number (which can be emailed to you if you've forgotten it). This is usually a numerical code and I'm pretty sure that it's 7 digits. Then it will ask you for your password (which can be emailed to you if you have forgotten it)

After you actually get into your account, Godaddy may ask you to log in again. This second time - it's your user name that you should enter into the log in screen (username is usually a set of alphabetical letters that you've selected as your username).
Then enter your password.

Hope that helps.

[email protected]

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GoDaddy designed it this way purposesly because their business plan is the make money on selling add-on's and additional products along with the domain.

M

mole

Originally posted by -RJ-
GoDaddy designed it this way purposesly because their business plan is the make money on selling add-on's and additional products along with the domain.

True, which is why if your interest is on domains alone, eNOM is the only way to go.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GoDaddy.com night not have the most user-friendly interface, but to be fair, are you aware that they have a Smart Registration interface which significantly reduce the number of pages along the way for more experienced registrants?

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are so many links and pages on Godaddy, it's hard to find what you're looking for...

I never heard about this Smart Registration thing - do you have a link to it?

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Right after you check availability on their website, you will be brought to a dynamically generated page where you are able to "select registration method": either Smart or Custom Registration.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep, I used them a while as my preferred registrar but I encountered similar problems. Their website is often a maze, their system every now and then refuses my creditcards

and all kind of weird things happened while transferring names.

Their biggest plus: they have very supportive people on their 24h helplines who really try to help you.
I have now switched most of my business to xxxxx

DNK.
Sorry, had someone already said all that ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom