Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuat

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why list a domain on "auctions" with a $60 minimum offer if that initial offer means nothing?
So If you offer $60 (the min offer for some name) it doesn't mean you are bidding on it, the seller can just decline it.

This is not how "auctions" work. Just another scam from GoDaddy.

:rolleyes:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Long story short: Sedo and GoDaddy decided one day to add all Sedo-listed domains to TDNAM with a $60 minimum offer price. It's not a BIN. But yes, the owner declines such bullshit offers. I removed all of my domains from Sedo because a) never agreed to list them on TDNAM b) the $60 offers are really silly.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Scam? You're out of line.

Why list a domain on "auctions" with a $60 minimum offer if that initial offer means nothing?
So If you offer $60 (the min offer for some name) it doesn't mean you are bidding on it, the seller can just decline it.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the GD Auctions exposure for Sedo listings is good, though, I know it's a pain in the ass getting lowballs on your Sedo acct by some noob who offered $60 on GD for a good name but....it's extra enquiries you're getting, so as insulting as some of the offers are I think it's better to get bad ones than not getting any.... ;) ...Also, when you delete a domain from your Sedo acct they won't present you w/any offers for that domain again, period. So if you have valuable names you need them listed for sale on Sedo, just do that song & dance I said so they won't show on GD if those offers bother you

I find I do better giving the listings to GD first, and then to Sedo (for most names) If you try to give GD a listing that Sedo already has on GD Auctions as part of their agreement GD will reject it even if the domain is in your own GD acct. A lot of runnin back and forth and major waste of time goes with that. But that way you will still get offers within Sedo that aren't MLS, they're internal, although the $60 minimum offer and $50 minimum commission does not change whether the buyer saw the name on GD or on Sedo. What changes if the offer comes from within Sedo is that Sedo lets you send it to auction with that $60 and you can also pm the interested party. Those two things you cannot do on Sedo if the offer came thru their listings on Go Daddy Auctions (so convoluted !......lol)

Long story short: Sedo and GoDaddy decided one day to add all Sedo-listed domains to TDNAM with a $60 minimum offer price. It's not a BIN. But yes, the owner declines such bullshit offers. I removed all of my domains from Sedo because a) never agreed to list them on TDNAM b) the $60 offers are really silly.

I'm not sure I follow Kuat's point.... are you upset as the buyer because you saw a listing on GD, then you offered the minimum of $60 and then the Sedo accountholder (seller) declined ? if so there really is nothing wrong with that, we may not like their method but GD is not at fault here.....like Theo said it's not a BIN, it's a minimum offer (and it's Sedo's rule, not GD's) Did the seller even counter ? They should all counter rather than just ignore....but there are sellers who are arrogant dicks who do just that sometimes....:eek:

Or are you the seller ? You CAN opt out of Sedo's listings being shown on GD Auctions, just remove the listing from your Sedo acct like I mentioned before, and then give the domain to GD, and AFTER THAT give it to Sedo again. And I don't usually defend Go Daddy, especially lately, but the way they handle GD Auctions is not the worst thing they do. They steal money from their best customers but they do it more often in other ways...... :-/ (to CureCancer's point)

Why list a domain on "auctions" with a $60 minimum offer if that initial offer means nothing? So If you offer $60 (the min offer for some name) it doesn't mean you are bidding on it, the seller can just decline it. This is not how "auctions" work. Just another scam from GoDaddy. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

hotspur

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I still list my domains on Sedo and every now and then receive offers at $60...once I even received an email from an end user saying they saw my listing on GoDaddy for $60 and would like to negotiate for $40.......

I think Sedo is still a good avenue for BIN domains..which also gives you exposure at GoDaddy.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Sedo's system does not update TDNAM. You cannot send a custom message and after you counter as the seller, you can sit and wait for a response, it will never arrive. At least, that was the case until October that I moved out of Sedo.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What lol.....? You mean if I get an offer thru my Sedo acct (the buyer saw my domain on GD and placed the offer there).... when I counter the other guy will not even get it ?.... If so, why does Sedo even give you the option to counter for listings originating elsewhere ? Afternic is MLS for example, I wonder if those offers are treated differently by Sedo, and GD is NOT part of the MLS surprisingly, I just recently learned

And I was sure when I countered after getting those $60-70 lowballs the guy who placed the offer on GD got my counter.... damn.... are you sure ? lol this is insane if they actually do this.... And I even thought I got a 2nd offer from buyers after sending my counters, a few instances actually, but maybe I'm wrong....it's moronic on Sedo's part to let us send a counter when they know the guy will never get it.... just as they bothered to tweak the system to not let you PM or send the thing to auction on Sedo, couldn't they have told you in the same offer message that it's just a "take it or leave it" thing.....? so much of domaining is run by morons indeed (GD included) that goes for registrars and marketplaces

Sedo's system does not update TDNAM. You cannot send a custom message and after you counter as the seller, you can sit and wait for a response, it will never arrive. At least, that was the case until October that I moved out of Sedo.

Last edited:

Kuat

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My point is, it's not an auction, it's just another marketplace.

Unsuspecting buyers think that $60 is starting bid, when in reality seller don't even have to respond to you.

Given GoDaddy history and ethnics, yeah it's pretty much a scam. Especially since they charge a fee (for access to this bullshit "auctions" area).

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Hi

I took a look-see, as I have quite a few offers at sedo that came from GD

these are still waiting for buyers reply:

greendiscount com
wew org
qn1 com
daycafe com

each of above names are also listed in GD like they are in an active auction with "time left to bid", exactly under the guise reported by OP.

those domain names are NOT in auction, nor did I have the option at sedo to send to auction on first bid.

the only thing I see that's "close" to truth about listing, is the number of bids for the domain.

However, the $60 bids DO mean something, as they will be sent to the seller, and show up as another "new" offer for the same domain.

in looking at the big picture, i'm not gonna protest, because even though it is misleading, it does bring in offers...so it serves a useful purpose.

imo...

Kuat

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi

I took a look-see, as I have quite a few offers at sedo that came from GD

these are still waiting for buyers reply:

greendiscount com
wew org
qn1 com
daycafe com

each of above names are also listed in GD like they are in an active auction with "time left to bid", exactly under the guise reported by OP.

those domain names are NOT in auction, nor did I have the option at sedo to send to auction on first bid.

the only thing I see that's "close" to truth about listing, is the number of bids for the domain.

However, the $60 bids DO mean something, as they will be sent to the seller, and show up as another "new" offer for the same domain.

in looking at the big picture, i'm not gonna protest, because even though it is misleading, it does bring in offers...so it serves a useful purpose.

imo...
it serves a useful purpose perhaps for sellers, but for the buyers it's completely misleading

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it serves a useful purpose perhaps for sellers, but for the buyers it's completely misleading

for buyers who "think" they are or will be, participating in an "active" auction, yes, it is misleading

for buyers who are interested in purchasing that specific domain name, it provides a means to enter into negotiations.

imo...

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I got an offer through GD yesterday & sent a counter-offer (I have no way of knowing if he received it).

But when I look at the GD Auctions listing for this domain, even though the "Sale Type" says "Offer/Counter-Offer", an end date is listed under the "Auction Ends" heading. Confusing to me ... & maybe to the bidder, who probably thinks he's going to win an auction with his $50 "bid".

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Kinda off topic, but I bought a Sedo listed name on GoDaddy for the first time today and thought that the transfer would be automatic as opposed of going through the transfer center and waiting days... does anybody know when it's pushed?

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
David, you're so right on topic, dude, this is exactly what we were all discussing (only you made a buy already thru this system lol) I haven't been on your side yet (buying a domain on YoDaddy that was actually a Sedo listing showing on GD) but I've been in your seller's shoes a couple of times. That's right, the transaction is handled by Sedo because the domain was given by Sedo to GoDaddy as part of their agreement (a very flawed one and a failure in many ways) and that also tells you GD didn't have that listing before (if GD had had that listing then the Sedo inter-registrar listing for this name wouldn't have worked and the seller would've received offers thru his GD acct, and you'd be closing more easily on GD)

Is the domain regged at GD ? If it's not this infamous agreement makes the seller transfer the domain to GD before the deal can be sealed. They made me do that as the seller. GD has to be the one who demands this, I'm sure they wanted to win in the sense that if they were used as a secondary platform (it was a Sedo listing that showed on GD) the least they can get is be the buyer's registrar for at least a yr....but if it's a GD domain then it's shorter, just like a regular sale at Sedo...

:sigh2:

Kinda off topic, but I bought a Sedo listed name on GoDaddy for the first time today and thought that the transfer would be automatic as opposed of going through the transfer center and waiting days... does anybody know when it's pushed?

Last edited:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's a GD domain so I assumed it would be an automatic transfer after purchase (it seems like a no brainer, GoDaddy got their money and should push the domain automatically then deal with the logistics with Sedo in the background).

I suppose I should have done it through Sedo as I would have paid less (there is a Sedo fee for the buyer on GD), gone through pretty much the same process and I could have also increased my buyer bars... Whatever though, it's for my wife's business, she can wait. :approve:

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This I did not know, damn .... if you buy a domain on GD and it turns out Sedo gave GD the listing the BUYER has to pay Sedo a fee ?...... have those guys lost their mind ? lol, not only are sellers paying Sedo a $50 or more hefty fee, but Sedo still manages to get money from buyers too ...... I learn one more thing about this "agreement" every day, and I don't like any of it...

At least you manage to keep the wife happy tho :smilewinkgrin: ....and that's important ...lol. And that's true, had you done it on Sedo there was no fee for the buyer and it helps your buyer rating there...

And some of those inter-registrar offers you get in your Sedo acct (when you're on the seller's side) can be from Afternic and others, so GD is not the only one, you have to read the text when you get the offer to see who they mention as their partner for that deal, once you give Sedo your listings there's no stopping what marketplace they can give your listings to, unless that marketplace already has those same listings, then Sedo cannot list them on top of that

.... I suppose I should have done it through Sedo as I would have paid less (there is a Sedo fee for the buyer on GD), gone through pretty much the same process and I could have also increased my buyer bars... Whatever though, it's for my wife's business, she can wait. :approve:

Last edited:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The fee is was $12 or so and I believe it goes to GoDaddy. So I paid $12 and the seller paid Sedo $50+ in commissions. It was loss/loss kinda. However, I tracked the domain for about 2 months and it went from $300 down to $159... I figured I'd better pick it up as it met an age requirement that I was seeking so I can optimize it fully in order to gain #1 for the specific keyword again (calls flooded at that time). Though, if gone through Sedo, I would have saved $12.

I won't know until the domain is pushed if the $12 includes a renewal though. I tried a coupon code and it didn't take the $12 down to the $8.67... Time will tell, when it's finally in my hands and can make the wife happy. It's a minimal fee to pay to make her happy. I spend that on 2 packs of cigarettes alone. :approve:

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great article by Theo from October 2012, and a couple of the posters on it are known DNF members too. The one thing Theo and others seem to do (maybe temporarily ?) was delete the domains from their Sedo account. Assuming you don't park with Sedo you'll still get requests thru those pages, the WhoIs of course, and other marketplaces you use. But as much as I dislike Sedo and the way they operate I find I need them for the more valuable names, they normally bring offers higher than GD, even Afternic....(for those who don't like seeing their Sedo listings shown on GD, Afternic or whichever other service, I tell them that more exposure is always a plus even if it only brings you insulting offers, plus I found a way to make sure Sedo CANNOT give your listings to other folks, read my earlier posts here on this thread, it's sounds crazy to do but it works, and I don't know of any other way...)

I actually tested the system with a buddy who made an offer of $60 for one of my Sedo names appearing on GD, I countered with $XXX and he got it right away. Then he made a 2nd offer of $70 and after getting that I cancelled. But it's been > 72 hrs and he still hasn't received notice the other side cancelled. Theo's blog was right probably on everything then but they seem to have corrected the part where the GD or Afternic bidder wasn't getting the seller's counters. Well, in this case those counters (either way) were received, and quickly

While the negotiations were going on the guy checked his GD account and it was accurate, it appeared as an open listing as O-C/O (it never appeared as an auction or BIN) and he could see the two offers he'd made on his bidding panel in Auctions, so other than not liking their method of forbidding PMs between the two, or not letting the thing go to Sedo auction, or charging that minimum 50 bucks.....the only thing they're doing wrong is failing to notify the bidder the Sedo seller cancelled, it's Sedo's fault afa I can tell. All this time if I didn't know the guy my buddy would be thinking I'm simply ignoring his last offer. Bad policy !

When I tested the system, there was no notification of the buyer when the seller (e.g. me) had canceled negotiations. They might have fixed that by now. Read more at http://acro.net/blog/domains/sedomls-a-failure-at-godaddy-tdnam/

And isn't it really something that on a sale of $159 those two marketplaces made a $62 commission combined ! (Sedo's $50 minimum + GD's $12) well over 1/3rd of sale price, almost 40% in fact, wow.... that's because of Sedo's minimum, isn't having a marketplace profitable these days ?... And I hope GD's $12 does include a renewal no matter how far that is, I get the feeling it's just a fee for their role tho (which may not be flat, it may vary depending on price)...... It sounds like a good deal for the $159 so you did good on that.....And just make sure you don't pick NY if you come back to the US lol ...the cheapest pack of smokes is like $13 and going up a lot higher every yr (their goal must be $20 minimum for the cheapest anyone could buy, those sin taxes...! careful if you drink a lot or use tanning salons...lol)

The fee is was $12 or so and I believe it goes to GoDaddy. So I paid $12 and the seller paid Sedo $50+ in commissions...... I spend that on 2 packs of cigarettes alone. :approve:

Last edited:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My apologies, it's a Network Solutions domain. It's still not mine yet. Is there a time limit or something that they need to push by... looks like I'll need a NetSol account cause the whois changed recently (may still have one from late/early 90s/00s)... This is more headache than the transfer center. :upset:

I hopefully will be living in Colorado (1st choice for MBA) and smokes aren't that bad... especially when you have base access and can get stuff tax free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom