Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Godaddy backordered domain cautch by GD reseller, GD status - Capture Unsuccessf​ul

Status
Not open for further replies.

olegaz

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Made a backorder with Godaddy.
Domain was captured by one of GD resellers http://www.infodomain.com/ , whois shows registrar as "Registrar: WILD WEST DOMAINS, LLC"

So far, so good.
But got an e-mail from GD that "We're sorry, but the following domain name(s) that you backordered was not captured successfully"
And "Capture Unsuccessf​ul" status in GB backorders panel.

Really strange situation. Either GD cannot monitor what is going on in their system, or every GB reseller has it's own backordering system - which is IMHO unreal.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep, I've had the same thing happen to me, SEVERAL times.

I got a bunch of nonsense from support (one saying 'several people can backorder a single domain', yet they couldn't tell me why I get the message 'this domain has already been backordered' on high value domains).

As best I can tell, every reseller has it's OWN backorder queue... yet it's one backorder per reseller. It's weird and NOT disclosed to the backorder buyers.

olegaz

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yep, I've had the same thing happen to me, SEVERAL times.

I got a bunch of nonsense from support (one saying 'several people can backorder a single domain', yet they couldn't tell me why I get the message 'this domain has already been backordered' on high value domains).

As best I can tell, every reseller has it's OWN backorder queue... yet it's one backorder per reseller. It's weird and NOT disclosed to the backorder buyers.

I was able to make a backorder for domain, but now GD shows backorder as failed.
If every GD reseller has it own backorder system, I really cannot imagine how it's done - always thought that only ICANN registered registrar can be a dropcatcher and send request to registry to acquire a domain.

E-mailed GD, will see what they will reply.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, the most obvious case for me was that I backordered two domain names - one would drop on Tuesday, then other would drop in Wednesday. I placed both backorders successfully at the same time.

On Tuesday, the domain was caught by "GoChina Domains", a catcher used by Godaddy... and sure enough, I got the email congratulating me and the domain was in my account.

On Wednesday, the other domain dropped and was also caught by "GoChina Domains"... but then I log in, and it says "backorder FAILED", and whois shows some other person as the new owner.

How that can happen on an 'exclusive backorder system' I don't know.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure but I wonder if there isn't a deadline for placing your backorder.
Some people have reported being able to handreg domains they had backordered at GD, but the backorder might have been entered late and ignored.

Last edited:

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, there is a deadline, 10AM pacific on the day of drop. If you miss the deadline, it doesn't say "success" or "failed", it just stays pending until the next year.

In my documented examples I was well ahead of the deadline.

BTW, I have also hand-regged domains that I had on Godaddy backorder... but when you do that, it shows the registrar as Godaddy.com, NOT their dropcatchers (such as GoChina DOmains). So, I'm certain that's not the issue here.

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So does that mean Godaddy will only allocate the resources of their other registrars toward your catch as long as those registrars don't have a competing backorder in their own systems ?

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So does that mean Godaddy will only allocate the resources of their other registrars toward your catch as long as those registrars don't have a competing backorder in their own systems ?

Nobody at Godaddy would answer direct questions like this. I tried and gave up.

aclass

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Although I gave up on using GD for backorders, recently I've noticed that they do catch a lot of domains. I guess they go after the lower quality domains that are easier to catch. For a domain like this they are still somehow OK.

Now.. Back on track. Is there a way to buy backorders from their reseller/sub-regustrar. If that's possible, they might have gotten it for their own customer instead of you.

And there is no such thing as noone can answer. If you push and fuss enough, sooner or later a higher up person will have to answer. You just have to ask for it

olegaz

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yep, GD catch a lot of medium/low quality domains, but sometimes they are lucky and get very good ones. The one i'm trying to get an answer for had only with Namejet 70 backorder requests with 1k max bid.

Got couple of responces to e-mail, but those were semi automated copy-paste replies. Will try to get an answer finally about their backorder system set up - is it centralized, or some GB resellers do act as independant drop catchers.

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

GD support at it's best :lol:

Instead of copy-paste canned responces the last reply is brilliant : Upon review of your account and issue concerning backordering, it does not appear as though further assistance is required at this time.

What a nice way to say F**k off. :lol:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Fortunately, their support is not outsourced :D

aclass

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is exactly when you will have to be pushy if you really need anything more.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I currently have 3 Godaddy accounts, one 'regular' direct with Godaddy, one under a reseller, and more recently I bought a 'pro reseller' account under a different reseller. So, that's 3 totally unrelated accounts.

Like the OP, I've lost quite a few domains from the backorder service when I held the 'exclusive' backorder, yet the domain was 'caught' by Godaddy and awarded to someone else.

As you can see in this thread, the only thing we could speculate is that each reseller had it's own 'exclusive' queue.

After some testing today, I can tell you this is NOT true. I successfully placed a backorder in my sub-reseller account, and was prevented from placing the same backorder in the other 2 accounts. High value domains dropping soon were blocked from all 3 accounts, as expected.

GODADDY: This is looking more and more like fraud. Could we have a rep explain how the owner of an exclusive backorder can be denied the domain when Godaddy SUCCESSFULLY caught the domain. I have now proven that the previous explanations are B.S.

GoDaddyGuy

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone in this thread who has used our services and has expressed curiosity about our backorder procedures. I want to confirm that we've seen your posts, and more importantly, that we understand why the appearance of inconsistency might concern you.

First and foremost, it's important to state that Go Daddy has developed its backordering system in the best interests of the customers that it serves (like yourselves). There is a very specific set of automated steps which are processed for each backorder in our system. This process does not deviate for any reason - we don't discriminate or prioritize a backorder based on a customer's previous orders, interactions, location, or anything else.

I think it's helpful to know that backorders made through Go Daddy and its resellers are not managed in the same way. For example, Go Daddy allows multiple backorders per domain name, while a backorder with a reseller prohibits the same domain from being backordered a second time at that, or any other, reseller. There are important reasons for this sort of differentiation and all of our procedures are designed to do what's best for our customers.

We do want to catch dropped names because we're in the business of providing domain registration. However, we do not have any interest in manipulating the results. Whether you have a thousand domain names or none at all, your backorder will be treated in exactly the same way.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone in this thread who has used our services and has expressed curiosity about our backorder procedures. I want to confirm that we've seen your posts, and more importantly, that we understand why the appearance of inconsistency might concern you.

First and foremost, it's important to state that Go Daddy has developed its backordering system in the best interests of the customers that it serves (like yourselves). There is a very specific set of automated steps which are processed for each backorder in our system. This process does not deviate for any reason - we don't discriminate or prioritize a backorder based on a customer's previous orders, interactions, location, or anything else.

I think it's helpful to know that backorders made through Go Daddy and its resellers are not managed in the same way. For example, Go Daddy allows multiple backorders per domain name, while a backorder with a reseller prohibits the same domain from being backordered a second time at that, or any other, reseller. There are important reasons for this sort of differentiation and all of our procedures are designed to do what's best for our customers.

We do want to catch dropped names because we're in the business of providing domain registration. However, we do not have any interest in manipulating the results. Whether you have a thousand domain names or none at all, your backorder will be treated in exactly the same way.

Thank you for the reply, but your explanation of how it works is still not clear.

Are you saying that each person can backorder any domain twice, once via Godaddy direct and once via a reseller subaccount? When more than one backorder is sold and the domain is caught, how do you determine who gets the domain?

olegaz

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

So, if I understand you correctly Godaddy has it's own backorder system, plus there is additional system for resellers.
And if a backorder is made with GoDaddy and at one of GoDaddy resellers by the same person - domain will be awarded to this person if domain will be cautch by GoDaddy or one of the resellers?

GoDaddyGuy

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, but your explanation of how it works is still not clear.

Are you saying that each person can backorder any domain twice, once via Godaddy direct and once via a reseller subaccount? When more than one backorder is sold and the domain is caught, how do you determine who gets the domain?

It's simple, really. Go Daddy and Wild West Domains are two different registrars. As such, they compete with one another for dropped names, just like any other registrars would. A captured domain goes to the customer of the capturing registrar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom