Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

GoDaddy charged us $29 for trademark violation !

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainEmpire.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's the first time someone sues us for a trademark violation at godaddy and, big surprise, they charged our card for US$29 without our authorization, is this normal ?
We'd be seriously tempted to ask for a chargeback and to leave them forever, not for the unauthorized charge but for the fact they charged us with no previous notice, we were unaware of this rule ...

Here's the message they sent us:

Dear ---------,

We recently received an inquiry related to your domain name,
---------.xxx. The specific inquiry related to your domain name can be
described as follows:

domain dispute - National Arbitration Forum. Questions to
[email protected]

In accordance with our registration agreeement,
https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/legal_agreements/domain_registration_GD.asp?p
rog_id=GoDaddy&isc=&se=&from_app=,
we have charged your credit card in the amount of $29.00 for our processing
of this inquiry.

If you have any questions concerning the above, please contact our customer
service center.

Thank you for your continued business,
GoDaddy.com

But shouldn't be the complainant to cover all related service fees, at least until the arbitration forum would not have determined who has the right to own such domain ?
I've been really disappointed by their behavior ...

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Godaddy, love em and hate em

DomainLord

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have never heard of this happening to tell you the truth. I have several names with godaddy and have recieved a letter from a company but godaddy has never charged my account without my permission. I would file a chargeback if I were you. I really would be courious as to what the charge was for. It does not sound like you got charged for the violation as that would be a higher amount. It looks like they charged you for processing. Also I would check my credit card to make sure it was an actual charge and not a spoof email. You could always call them and have them explain it. If you dont agree then file a chargeback....

MessagePop

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is a well-known behavior of GoDaddy and I thought everyone knew it.
In a previous case, I think it was $9.95, though.

nitronet

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use Godaddy in they were free...the bottom of the barrel.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The inquiry wasn't yours, so you're not "the customer" for this service. I think they violated terms of their merchant account, it's not an authorized charged.

If they ARE doing this, gee, what fun we could have. Find a competitor a person you just don't like who uses Godaddy, send it a bunch of bogus trademark claims, and watch the hilarity as Godaddy maxes out their credit card!

Just had a GREAT idea -- file some bogus trademark claims against "Godaddy.com", the president's blog's domain name, and all the variations. Let them have fun charging themselves for their 'services'.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
just call them I am sure they will refund the charge....they do just about anything I ask them to considering I have like 700+ names there..

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Talk about daylight robbery !
Before you initiate a chargeback try to speak to them.
Read the T&C once again. After all you are supposed to have agreed with them. Then consider your options.

manueld64

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well it was in the registration agreement, got to make sure you read that legalese, that would go for their own domains as well, like godaddyhost.com they just took from whoever registered it first cuz it was a trademark name, wal-mart always wins their trademark domain disputes, so just make sure the domain you register does not have an explicit trademark registered already

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
You say GoDaddy - I say No Daddy.
This $29 charge is known to exist for years now.
Sorry to hear you got whipped.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/legal_agreements/show_doc.asp?se=+&pageid=REG_SA

Go Daddy reserves the right to charge a reasonable service fee for administrative tasks outside the scope of its regular services. These include, but are not limited to, customer service issues that cannot be handled over email but require personal service, and disputes that require legal services. These charges will be billed to the Payment Method we have on file for You.

It’s open-ended, of course. But more or less, it gives Go Daddy a justification
(some may think "excuse" is a better term) for doing so.

However, I asked them this before and they said they'll refund the registrant
upon receiving notice of such. I just wish, though, they'll be specific at least.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That agreement does not say I have to pay for services *OTHERS* have ordered -- which means it was an unauthorized credit card charge. Again, the important point is that they are performing services for someone else, not you (the customer).

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark makes a good point. Even if you've agreed to their "general T&Cs" they are most likely not conforming to their merchant account agreement and/or Visa, MasterCard, Amex policies.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I don't recommend them.

AmericanBulldog

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll second the above post, another reason to choose Moniker.

Godaddy have also been known to hold domains to ransom when complaints are launched, charging the owner $299 or keeping the domain, for something like someone complaining you spammed them by asking for a link trade.

Go-->Moniker

DomainEmpire.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Uhm, thanks for all your feedbacks ... I contacted them and they said, in brief, that having accepted their registration agreement, I was automatically aware of their right to charge me that fee.

Ok, at this point I'll ask for a chargeback because I can't tolerate such behavior !

nitronet

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DomainEmpire.com said:
Uhm, thanks for all your feedbacks ... I contacted them and they said, in brief, that having accepted their registration agreement, I was automatically aware of their right to charge me that fee.

Ok, at this point I'll ask for a chargeback because I can't tolerate such behavior !

Get all of your domains out of there first.

They will probably lock your account when you chargeback.

They suck anyway...lots of better registrars out there.

DomainEmpire.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree, I'm unlocking anything to go ahead with a bulk transfer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom