Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

GoDaddy lowers registration fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nodnarb said:
I do OK with my WWD account, because I use it for my (close to 300 now) own domains. I use it as a value-added for some hosting customers. If you have over 100 domains, I think it makes sense to have the reseller account.

That's funny. I have a *much* larger number of dn's w godaddy, but when I asked (and that was a while back) about WWD, the problem was that there was no customization of DNS and generally, they offered less services than GD's standards.
In fact, I was supposedly added to some list that when changes would be implemented, they were to notify me. Never heard from WWD again.
Also, you can not transfer simply your domains from GD to WWD without payingfor a year's extension.
That's what the email I have dated about a year ago says.

Has anything changed?

Nodnarb

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are correct. They consider WWD a separate entity, so a transfer is the same as if you were transferring from any other registrar.

Not sure what you mean by customization of DNS. You can set your nameservers to whatever you want them to be. I run my own DNS on my own servers.

As for what Mole said, I'm not quite sure I'm tracking with you with all of these added costs. Obviously, if your business plan is written as you describe for development of domains, you would still benefit from acquiring domains for the lowest price possible. When I started with WWD, GoDaddy was $8.95 per year, or $895 for 100 domains. 100 Domains on my WWD was about $820 after paying their annual fee. By contrast, 200 is $1790 with Godaddy, or about $1520 with WWD.

A domain name is not a child. Based on my business plan, it's an investment. What I aim to nuture is my bank account. Investments come down to dollars and cents, and based on the example I have given above, the return on the reseller account represents a 16% savings from dollar one, and that makes good business "sense."

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
If you are a developer, multiply each $7 name with 20x cost of hosting per year, 7-9x cost of renewals for the long term, min 3x cost for development, 20x min. cost of promoting that name per year, and it ain't cheap anymore. And that doesn't even cover the time per hour for your efforts.
Hmm? Are you saying that you are paying $140 a year for hosting a single domain but as little as $21 for developing it!

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You are correct. They consider WWD a separate entity, so a transfer is the same as if you were transferring from any other registrar.

They are seperate registrars. GoDaddy owns 3 ICANN registrars.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TrafficMonsterRRR said:
NetSol charges $35 for one year

No they don't :-D

One can get renew for a *lot* less (and I'm talking simple one year renewals too, no long commitments) if they spend a little time haggling with them on the phone. And one doesn't need to own zillions of domains - even a handful, and they're usually very open to making a deal.

NSI is no longer owned by VeriSign, but I doubt things have changed - it doesn't hurt to ask if one was planning to transfer out anyways.

No one in their right mind pays $35/year anymore for domains - even many ccTLD yearly renewals can be had for less than that if one spends a little time pricing out registrars, and some haggling helps :wink:

Ron

parabola

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am administering several domains for organizations that originally registered them a couple of years ago with register.com for $35/yr.%+| It's good to know that haggling can make a difference when it comes time for renewal or transfer. Of course, I'd rather transfer to GD or any of several other registries but, who knows, maybe they'll make me an offer I can't refuse.

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
godaddy is offering low prices incase somebody want the domain to be transferred... in this case they make a lot of money.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Same thing will happen with WLS subsciptions if they are ever allowed and the only one's making money will be Verisign.

M

mole

JoltHost said:
Same thing will happen with WLS subsciptions if they are ever allowed and the only one's making money will be Verisign.

What's wrong with that? Someone has to make money. Would you rather it be you? I guess so. Catching dropped names today is no joke, not the $60 of the old days, but thousands of dollars for proxies. It's your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom