Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024
This is a discussion about the domain name register/company GoDaddy.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i've never heard of a US based registrar charging canadian tax on domains. and i am not talking about .ca domains but anything and everything.

Domain summit 2024

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you're a business, you can get 100% of the HST back as an input tax credit, when you do your HST returns. So, it's all a wash.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you're a business, you can get 100% of the HST back as an input tax credit, when you do your HST returns. So, it's all a wash.
yeah but its more work and more money to put up front that i shouldn't have to. i've never heard of a non canadian registrar charging canadians taxes.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And they charge VAT for EU residents too... death and taxes are inescapable.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting, this seems new to me...

Edit: just checked recent orders from June 24th and June 30th - neither had any taxes charged. Have they started this week?
i just started getting them the evening of july 2nd.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Obviously they couldn't pass that tax on 1st July because it was Canada Day :)

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting... just a shot in the dark, but perhaps it's because they are a .ca registrar accredited by CIRA and as such had a Canadian business presence (office?) and were eventually required to start collecting sales tax from Canadians?

Microsoft also collects HST & PST for their online products (domains, hosting, Office 365, etc)...

Death, taxes and no renewal codes when your domains are set to expire... 3 certainties in life. :D

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting... just a shot in the dark, but perhaps it's because they are a .ca registrar accredited by CIRA and as such had a Canadian business presence (office?) and were eventually required to start collecting sales tax from Canadians?

Microsoft also collects HST & PST for their online products (domains, hosting, Office 365, etc)...

Death, taxes and no renewal codes when your domains are set to expire... 3 certainties in life. :D
Some notification would of been nice. While we get the money back eventually its an extra 1.10 per domain that everyone will have to put up as a result.

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some notification would of been nice. While we get the money back eventually its an extra 1.10 per domain that everyone will have to put up as a result.

Indeed - it's probably buried deep in some TOS notice. The only thing I could find was this notice about them collecting both taxes (HST / GST / PST) for .ca registrations ... no date on that article though. And now it seems they're collecting it on all products & services...

You're right though, an 11% increase in upfront costs (15% if in Quebec) makes a difference. A bit more proactive notification from GD to their Canadian customers would indeed have been appreciated.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom