Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Godaddy scammers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
wasn't able to renew my domains, that are in redemption period as usual!
they have disappeared from my account after expiration date, and its what i've got from emailing a support!

Dear SirMadam,

Thank you for taking time to contact Online Support. I apologize for any inconvenience or confusion. You are not able to redeem a domain name from redemption. If you wish to renew a domain name that is in the redemption period we will need the last 4 digits of the payment method and for you to clearly state that you except the redemption fee of $80 + the 1 year renewal fee. This will enable us to recover your domain name as you are unable to in your account. I apologize again for any confusion.

Please let us know if we can assist you in any other way.

Regards,
Chris P.
Online Support Technician

ANYONE heard of this before? BEWARE!!

Domain Days 2024

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are those your eyes?

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wasn't able to renew my domains, that are in redemption period as usual!
they have disappeared from my account after expiration date, and its what i've got from emailing a support!

Dear SirMadam,

Thank you for taking time to contact Online Support. I apologize for any inconvenience or confusion. You are not able to redeem a domain name from redemption. If you wish to renew a domain name that is in the redemption period we will need the last 4 digits of the payment method and for you to clearly state that you except the redemption fee of $80 + the 1 year renewal fee. This will enable us to recover your domain name as you are unable to in your account. I apologize again for any confusion.

Please let us know if we can assist you in any other way.

Regards,
Chris P.
Online Support Technician

ANYONE heard of this before? BEWARE!!

Yes, they are not scammers. They send many many reminders and if you do not renew they will take them out of your account during redemption period and make you pay the higher price to renew. They are not scammers for wanting to make more money. The names should have been renewed on time.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Why do you label Godaddy as "Scammers"? I dont to see any scam here, if you fail to renew your domain name, it goes through a redemption process like every other Registrar, unless its a Registrar that auctions them off, $80 is cheap, compared to most.

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
dono, "all my life" was able to renew domains at the last minute in redemption period, they must be integrated this new 80$ rule just recently without informing the nation!

and they also have removed domains from my account, so i dont even know which om my domains are in redemption now!

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
check your emails. I would say they implemented all their fees in the last year or so. Same with the fee they charge for having an invalid whois ( I believe) or if someone reports your domain, they charge some administration fee. This is why I do not have names with them anymore. Nothing against them, just Moniker is better :)

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
$80 + reg fee is a bit high, scammer no but rip offs yes.

HHDomains

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I guess Godaddy are scammers because people are incompetant and can't renew their own domains or even read a TOS?
Perhaps you should stop blaming Godaddy and get your own s**t together.

IIM8

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I believe enom charges $160 for redemption recovery of a dn, you are able to see which ones though. I Suppose it is a parrallel to late credit card/loan repayments- the less on top of your committments/interests- the higher the Price for "their management/maintenance" of your interests.

Yep, Its a sting and not meant to be a "Feel good" experience.

Thats my 2 cents worth..... will be 4 cents worth if this post goes into "redemption" ;[ ]

Varchar

ArcadeScript.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Enom and many other registrars always charge a fee. However, this is the first time I heard that Godaddy is charging a fee. They usually let you renew it even a month after it expired. I better keep my domain up to date then...

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All the registrars do it....
GoDaddy usually gives you 21 days after expiry and then the $80 charge kicks in.
I have had Enom do it the day it expired.(@#$%)

However, they have always given me adequate notice so if I lose one it is not because they didn't remind me...

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
So I guess Godaddy are scammers because people are incompetant and can't renew their own domains or even read a TOS?
Perhaps you should stop blaming Godaddy and get your own s**t together.

I knew it was only a matter of time before somebody said it....LOL

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dono, "all my life" was able to renew domains at the last minute in redemption period, they must be integrated this new 80$ rule just recently without informing the nation!

and they also have removed domains from my account, so i dont even know which om my domains are in redemption now!

You have the right to use the domain in active state. After that its everything courtesy off the registrar.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Key to all this is to be careful about reading your relevant email. They send enough reminders and it's stupid to suggest they are scammers. It's called 'business'. Learn the lessons and move on to the next.

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
All this may be fine and all that, but in the end people get a bad feeling. And move away from them I'm sure, and I should think most people don't get the domain back anyway.

When they do things on the shady side, such as charge so much to get the domain back. It will not get them much good will, and seeing how hosting accounts is their real goal. One would think, they would charge a smaller fee or use it to get them to get a hosting account right ?

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

roseau

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is common for the major registrars to charge a "redemption period fee" - I believe it is clearly stated in their TOS - furthermore, if I recall correctly, the period is quite long so I would think anyone would have ample time to renew their domains.

They would take them out of your account bc after the expiry date, technically you would not own them anymore. In fact they are doing you a favor by holding them and still making them available to you.

It may be sad what happened to you BUT they are NOT scammers.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Another way to avoid this is to set your names to autorenew.

BTW, I have found out, most of Godaddy's email goes to the bulk or spam folder in Outlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

No members online now.

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom