Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

GoDaddy: STOP with the emails from fake transfer requests!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nearly all modern registrars require an EPP code in order to start an inbouind transfer. That's GREAT - makes transfers faster, and stops idiots/scammers from anonymously annoying domain owners.

NOT SO AT GODADDY.

Back in February I got an domain transfer request. I ignored it, thinking they would soon stop.

A week went by, they kept coming. A month went by, they kept coming. After a while I filed a Godaddy support ticket asking them to stop with the emails. They responding that they "couldn't do that" (which is a LIE), and that I should juist tolerate the now weekly email spam/reminders.

It has now been 8 FRIGGIN MONTHS of this spam from Godaddy, and IT IS NOT STOPPING!

Does anyone know the person email address of the CEO of Godaddy? I've liked to forward him a few hundred emails, and file transfer requests on any domains he owns so he can get a taste of what he's doing to others.

Yofie

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the ICANN whois verification emails from Godaddy? ICANN requires all domain administrators and/or registrants to verify their domain contact information for accuracy.

I am assuming this is the email(s) you are getting.
http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/icann/domain_search.asp?ci=7068

If you put in the key code at godaddy (no reason to log in) you will stop getting the emails. Otherwise, they are required by ICANN, so that's why Godaddy can't stop sending them to you.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the ICANN whois verification emails from Godaddy? ICANN requires all domain administrators and/or registrants to verify their domain contact information for accuracy.

I am assuming this is the email(s) you are getting.
http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/icann/domain_search.asp?ci=7068

If you put in the key code at godaddy (no reason to log in) you will stop getting the emails. Otherwise, they are required by ICANN, so that's why Godaddy can't stop sending them to you.

NO!

My domains are not at Godaddy.

These are the "A request to transfer ***** domain was submitted to Godaddy on 99/99/99" mails.

From the ONE request made back in February these emails just keep coming and coming.

There is no way to stop them, so anyone could effectly shut down any domainers's email for at least a year with just a few transfer requests.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
So when you submit a transfer request from goddady...they keep sending emails?

Why would anyone do that...when you have to pay to do a transfer request?

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So when you submit a transfer request from goddady...they keep sending emails?

Why would anyone do that...when you have to pay to do a transfer request?

Yes, Godaddy has been sending them continuously for MONTHS.

No, they don't have to pay, and they don't have to provide an EPP code. That's why no other registrar causes problems like this.

Full text of the email I'm sent OVER and OVER and OVER from Godaddy:

====================================================================
DOMAIN NAME TRANSFER - Initial Authorization for Registrar Transfer
====================================================================

Re: Transfer of ********.COM

Dear Domain Admin,

GoDaddy.com, Inc. received a request on 2/19/2008 for us to become the new registrar of record.

You have received this message because you are listed as the Registered Name Holder or Administrative contact for this domain name in the WHOIS database. If you are not the Account Holder, or you are transferring the domain to a new owner, please forward this email to the appropriate Account Holder so that they may complete the transfer process.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
IMPORTANT: If the steps below are not completed, the domain name(s) listed above will NOT be transferred to us.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To proceed with the transfer, follow the instructions here:
http://help.godaddy.com/article.php?prog_id=GoDaddy&article_id=1592&topic_id=160&isc=gdbb2

In the process of authorizing this transfer, you will be prompted to provide the Transaction ID and Security Code:

Transaction ID: ******
Security Code: ********
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once a transfer takes place, you will not be able to transfer to another registrar for 60 days, apart from a transfer back to the original registrar, in cases where both registrars so agree or where a decision in the dispute resolution process so directs.

If you DO NOT WANT the transfer to proceed, then please don't respond to this message.

If you have any questions about this process, contact us by email at mailto:[email protected], or by phone at (480) 505-8877.

Regards,
GoDaddy.com, Inc.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Copyright 2008 GoDaddy.com, Inc.. All rights reserved.

Last edited:

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A few registrars do that.
Sometimes it's the old owner of the domain trying to transfer the domain.
I have asked every single registrar to stop this.
All reply that they will not and that I should just ignore it. **** this!

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If this happened to me, i would block godaddy.com emails.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A few registrars do that.
Sometimes it's the old owner of the domain trying to transfer the domain.
I have asked every single registrar to stop this.
All reply that they will not and that I should just ignore it. **** this!

For a long time I've been thinking about writing spam-retaliation software, that would work something like this:

1) Forward spams from the specific person/company to a specific address that my software sees.

2) Software forwards spam to a list of offenders, such as company president, sales rep, all vice presidents, marketing director, etc. Include in the spam a message telling them why they are being spammed with their own spam -- in my case I would post direct quotes from Godaddy support telling me to 'just ignore it'.

3) Escalation: 1st offense, I get 1 spam, I forward to to my list twice. 2nd offense, everybody gets 10 copies of the spam., 3rd offense, everyone gets 100 copies of the spam. They want to stop the delughe of spam? STOP SENDING IT.

What do ya think? Would this get the idiots at Godaddy to stop their irresponsible behavior?

If this happened to me, i would block godaddy.com emails.

I can't do that because

1) I occasionally sell domains to Godaddy customers and need to receive LEGITIMATE transfer requests

and

2) I occasionally buy domains registered at Godaddy and need those emails.

But that does bring up an interesting point, maybe if we all put this message in our domain buying threads "I REFUSE TO PURCHASE ANY DOMAIN REGISTERED AT GODADDY DUE TO EMAIL ABUSE"

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's now late November and Godaddy is STILL sending the fraudulant transfer requests.

GODADDY, STOP THIS SPAM!!!

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am looking into this.

-=DCG=-

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Go Daddy

GoDaddy.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Juniper Park-

As a result of your post, we have located and repaired a bug in our system. The intent was to notify the current registrant of an impending transfer. Should a specific amount of time pass without a response, the email notifications were to be terminated. In this specific instance, a bug in our code was failing to terminate the emails you were receiving. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you bringing this to our attention. This should be resolved, however please notify us if you continue to see this going forward.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
juniper park-

as a result of your post, we have located and repaired a bug in our system. The intent was to notify the current registrant of an impending transfer. Should a specific amount of time pass without a response, the email notifications were to be terminated. In this specific instance, a bug in our code was failing to terminate the emails you were receiving. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you bringing this to our attention. This should be resolved, however please notify us if you continue to see this going forward.

thank you!!!!!!!

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is the specific amount of time?

Juniper Park-

As a result of your post, we have located and repaired a bug in our system. The intent was to notify the current registrant of an impending transfer. Should a specific amount of time pass without a response, the email notifications were to be terminated. In this specific instance, a bug in our code was failing to terminate the emails you were receiving. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you bringing this to our attention. This should be resolved, however please notify us if you continue to see this going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom