Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Godaddy/TDNAM did it again

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickStagg

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
So I won a domain at TDNAM, DRUGSBAY.COM....( I believe this belonged to someone else at DNF before), and I wait the time for it to finally be moved into my account which happened last nite after approx 60 days. Its now in my account and the renewal date is 4/19/2006, now I am not the brightest bulb on the tree but even I know that GoDaddy just stole 2 months registration from me (I paid $8.95 + the winning bid price at time of purchase) . Be nice if someone from GoDaddy read this and did someting about it, but of course they won't.

To be honest I am not even going to bother emailing them......I would rather light matches and stick them under my nails than waste any more of my own time.

Reason then for this post ? Just to give you all a heads up so that hopefully someone else won't waste their money at TDNAM or GoDaddy

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Another problem I have found is that they don't follow through with there transactions for sellers listing names for sale (that arent expiring). They use escrow to handle any transactions over $500. A buyer has clicked on a buy it now domain i had for sale, and then initiated the transaction annoynmously through Escrow. I accepted the transaction almost 2 weeks ago now, with the buyer yet to have selected a payment method. As far as tdnam is concerned, they think they are out of the picture now ... however I had paid for a 3 month listing and if this deal falls through (which I assume it now will) ... I will have to contact them and have them relist it putting the lost time back on my domain for sale.

So in other words, any "joe" can set up an account with tdnam with a free email account and just start buying away on domains without actually paying for them. Tdnam doesnt follow through on the larger sale transactions ... only the ones they handle completely themselves which are less than $500.

Maybe, im jumping the gun here. But two weeks is more than enough time for the buyer to submit payment.

NickStagg

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that JE, its nice to know I aint the only one being dicked about by them. To be honest I find their attitude completely un professional, and if it wasn't such a letigious world out there I would vent a little more steam.

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Offcourse Escrow does say something about in the event the transaction doesnt go through that the buyer is completely responsible for all transaction fees. It will be interesting to see what happens there, because the buyer would be out $200 bucks if he was just messing around.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NickStagg said:
...GoDaddy just stole 2 months registration from me (I paid $8.95 + the winning bid price at time of purchase)

Do Network Solutions do this too for names they were registrar for and someone picks up with snapnames.com before it goes into the drop cycle?

I understand the principal of it and everything, but for a domain that we are paying at least $19 for, the fact that we don't get $1.49 worth of the registration period isn't a big blow to the business model, I feel.

Also, the fact that the domain never actually drops, doesn't facilitate the granting of those two extra months. Godaddy would presumably have to pay an extra $6 to the registry which would mean that they would have to add an extra $6 (or more) to the price we pay.

Just my 2p worth

NickStagg

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Oh I get all that, its just I am fed up with the end user getting it up the wazoo as usual....fair enough charge for re registration, but dont charge me for a full year if I dont own the domain for a year.
Its not about the money, its a principal thing.....GoDaddy/TDNAM, thats P R I N C I P A L you should look that up some time and apply that to your business model.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Shame on me. I always get that muddled up, and forget to check up for typing it.

octobus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So the domain was transfered to you 60 days after the auction ended?

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
octobus said:
So the domain was transfered to you 60 days after the auction ended?

The auction for this particular domain closed somewhere between 12th May and 19th May and I received a notification that the domain was in my account on 29th June. So it was a period of around 40 to 45 days from payment to receiving the domain

The renewal date for this domain is 19th April. So in this particular case, the auction for the domain closed, and payment was made, round about 30 days after renewal date (expiry date), ie just before the domain would have normally entered RGP.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. They just gave you the name, but it only has 10 months left on the registration? Is this explained anywhere in their TOS?

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jdk said:
So let me get this straight. They just gave you the name, but it only has 10 months left on the registration?

Correct.

jdk said:
Is this explained anywhere in their TOS?

I'm afraid I don't know.

I was able to get a name for $35 plus reg fee that would have cost anything between $60 and $100 plus at the drops, and which I would hope to be able to sell (one day) for $150 to $300 plus.

As I mentioned earlier, the "loss" of US$1.49 for the reduced registration in the first year is effectively part of the price as far as I'm concerned, and quite a small additional in my opinion.

Gregoire

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At least you received your purchase/name !!

I've won some names at TDNAM and 3 of them have been renewed by their former owner.

I had to email TDNAM support 4 times to get 2 refunds, and I'm still waiting for the 3rd one which is more than one month old !

Grégoire.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have no idea why anyone uses GoDaddy. Auctioning off domains that haven't even expired yet is the lowest of low, let alone taking months to refund bidders when the owner renews the name. Plus they're notoriously insecure, and their service is total shite. Don't get me started on how you have to go through the 57-click spamfest checkout every time you want to change your nameservers..

Yet somehow these tossers are the largest registrar - proof that a good product isn't required to be successful.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Beachie said:
I have no idea why anyone uses GoDaddy. Auctioning off domains that haven't even expired yet is the lowest of low, let alone taking months to refund bidders when the owner renews the name. Plus they're notoriously insecure, and their service is total shite. Don't get me started on how you have to go through the 57-click spamfest checkout every time you want to change your nameservers..

Yet somehow these tossers are the largest registrar - proof that a good product isn't required to be successful.

Indeed. Unfortunately you have to use Go Daddy if the name you recently got
is with them. :dead:

There's another forum discussion elsewhere about this. Needless to say, most
of the people talking about aren't too happy about it, either.

Vivvy

Wild And Crazy Grrl
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but why aren't these issues being taken up with ICANN? Why, if there is a consistent fraud, aren't there class action suits being filed? Why is there never mention of dispute resolution, or arbitration through NAF for instance? Why is there no attempt at resolution through the registrar? Are you actually reading TOS or just checking the box so you can zip on through and then be totally unaware of what you're agreeing to?

Evil are the registrars, innocent and trod upon are the buyers.... man that is such an old sad song, and not really one I would think that legitimate business people would want to sing consistantly. One of two things is happening here... either the TOS specifically speaks to your complaints and you're just not educated about the contracts you're signing, or you're allowing yourself to be the victim of fraud.

Real business people read and understand their contractural agreements. Serious business people are attentive to possible issues that could be corrected by forcing the other party in those contracts to live up to their end of the bargain.

If you obtain 1000 domain names a year in the scenerio spoken of in this thread, and you lose 2 months of the use of that domain name, that translates out to $1,491. You don't have time to check into recovering $1,491?? You don't have time to read a TOS to recover $1,491?? At $8.95 a year that's 166 domain names you can't buy because you don't have time, you're not educated about what you sign, and you don't follow up.

Registrars need to be held to their own TOS, regardless of how much of a corner they have buyers backed into with rules that can't be changed. If you let them get away with something, who should you really be upset with?

Vivvy

NickStagg

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Who said I wasn't dealing with GoDaddy on this matter ? The only reason I mentioned what I did was to give the community a heads up on something that had happened to me, and to be fair I did read the TOS.

I don't think I'll bother in future......

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom