Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed Gold.LA

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_poet

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Please let me have your views on this domain.

Thanks

Last edited:

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It is probably worth something to somebody. Even though it is a loser extension, it would make sense for a gold dealer in Los Angeles to have it. However, I'm not sure how much they really need the name. Sure, if someone gets out of bed tomorrow morning and wants to start a gold business, he could do worse than having this name, but the odds of you two meeting up and doing a deal without spending a few hundred dollars in man hours are pretty low. I can't see someone paying you big money, so every effort you spend on it will eat into your profit.

I guess if you renewed it each year for a decade, and spent one hour per year on it, then you might have a reasonable chance for a profit. Let's call each hour of your time worth $10, which is the lowest it could be worth in the real world. That and renewals for a decade puts you at $250 or so, assuming you got the name for free. There are worse things to do with time and money, but there are a lot more better things to be doing.

If it were me, I might put in a blitzkrieg effort for a few days and get the word out. Try to get lucky and sell it. After that, it would go into the vault for a decade without any more effort, or I would sell it to the highest bidder and call it a day. I had the name GoldOwn.com a few years ago. Not a great name, but good enough for someone. I couldn't give it away for any price. I must have sold it as part of a package deal of cheap names. It is possible I sold it for $40, but I doubt it. It looked better than it was, obviously. I ran it through threads here and it was "crickets".

Last edited:

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are certain keywords that are valuable in ANY gtld or cctld and would eventually sell. Examples are Gold, Business, Cars, and Sex...

Not to mention the fact that keywords.la's are still selling for $x,xxx on average as of recently. There is obviously a market for .la and there is obviously .la domain investors. And, "Gold" is a top 3 domain in ANY gtld or cctld.

With that being said, sure you could list that name here and not get a dollar... But, there is a domain world outside of DnForum...

So judging off past .la sells, I would say $x,xxx in due time.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are certain keywords that are valuable in ANY gtld or cctld and would eventually sell. Examples are Gold, Business, Cars, and Sex...
Domains like sex.cctld or poker.cctld tend to sell from one domainer to another domainer and it's the end of the story. If you look at reported sales, even those from 5 years ago, everything is parked or not resolving - very few exceptions.
For the most part, it is the greater fool theory in action, because there is little incentive for an end user to spend low $,$$$ on an exotic TLD that is potentially unstable, for the purpose of running a legitimate business. I'm afraid the value here essentially comes from the pipe dreams of domainers.

History of sales is tiny. I can find maybe 5 sales in 2013, and zero in 2014.

Lately there have been a couple of .la sales for just one reason: Nodaddy did a modest 'relaunch' of the TLD recently.
But .la was already on the market 10 years ago. This is nothing more than a 'bump' because everybody forgot a long time ago.
There is even a ten-year old thread at DNF :)
http://www.dnforum.com/f17/la-relaunched-los-angeles-tld-thread-31434.html
(NB: don't dig graves without a good reason)

So what happened over the last 10 years ? Nothing, this TLD is not achieving momentum, not even around Los Angeles.
My advice would be not to spend too much time and energy on this one, maybe you'll be able to sell it to another domainer, then it's no longer your problem.
If you are going to dabble in ccTLDs, I think there are many other extensions that have more potential for resale.

Varlin

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Very good names in lame extensions: $70
Extremely good names in lame extensions: $140

Been there, done that, don't like it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom