Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Google Bans Gmail Buying/Selling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgieOgalthorpe

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well it makes sense.. it's like the whole domain squatting thing except low amounts of money involved.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The policy alterations do not target people trying to barter Gmail invitations, which allow people to sign up for a new membership. of course not, lol ...

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This was only going to help promote gmail. Now instead people will be trading them on the blackmarket or ignoring the rule or dropping the service all together. While it may go back to the intended usage Google was stupid not to realize that all this was going to happen or either this is the next step in a calculated plan. Last thing Google needs is to be known as the big bully.

bocajohnh

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GiantDomains said:
The policy alterations do not target people trying to barter Gmail invitations, which allow people to sign up for a new membership. of course not, lol ...
The part you highlight is also very clear to me. They changed their policy to stop the selling of ACCOUNTS, not invites. I thought this important enough to repost.

Any mention of banning the sale of invites is pure speculation by the article writer. And there have been quite a lot of misinformation spread by reporters as they all write their first articles on Gmail, and Google staff won't comment due to the quiet period prior to the IPO.

I

impactadmin

Buying and selling gmail invites is a great promotional tool for google.

It only hurts them in the end.

"The changes are designed to deter people from creating multiple e-mail accounts with the purpose of reselling or trading them, according to a source at the company. The policy alterations do not target people trying to barter Gmail invitations, which allow people to sign up for a new membership."

For you to make some money on selling the email invites is wrong but to barter (give them away without the exchange of money" is fine.

Interesting.

Huseyin

bocajohnh

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
a funny aside. Looking at the ebay items for sale when searching with just "gmail", there used to be only a couple of accounts for sale in the 2500 or so total invites for sale. Now, on some pages of 50 items, there are just as many [email protected] for sale as there are invites. Definitely was not like this before the announcement.

So, these sellers either:
1. Are trying to sell the accounts they regged months ago before Gmail/ebay enforces the NEW policy, OR
2. Saw the announcement, thought "why didn't I think of that", and are now regging and selling the accounts as quick as they can?

IMHO, judging by the names for sale, these are all marginal names regged in the past few days. Does anyone really want [email protected]? LOL

freestyler

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hmmmm i sold 100 invites today on ebay for $315.99 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom