Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Google contemplating pulling out of China

Status
Not open for further replies.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Google might just loose too much money here in China and the "censoring" might just be a nice excuse to reduce it / pull out.
Agree, that looks like a cheap face-saving gesture. google have already sold their soul to the devil.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wonder how hard the Google stock will be hit if they do decide to pull the plug in China... :?:
Doubtful there would be any significant short term or long term effects. Baidu still rules in China and will continue.

G-stock will be on the uptick with the launching of the gPhone and other products.

charlescarreon

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly the news mentioned the stock dropped by 0.5% this morning.
As mentioned elsewhere, that's less than a buck.

Google, in my opinion, had already came to the conclusion that they were not going to get the market share they had hoped for after a couple of year's pouring cash into that machine,

domaincom

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if google go home,i can use baidu.com,Little impact on my

WebMaster

Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
its simple you must use english version google, also all China USERS ACCOUNTS will be deleted or transfered to us google servers ;)

I prefer to delete them all who not using payed services :)

HE

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
its simple you must use english version google, also all China USERS ACCOUNTS will be deleted or transfered to us google servers ;)

I prefer to delete them all who not using payed services :)

China user accounts has been in Google(US) servers when they resgistered it... and Google will not be removed their chinese version, just leave China markets. IMO

Btw, did you paid any $$ for Google account? :?:

Last edited:

Soofi

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
HIGH MORAL GROUNDS? are you f**king kidding me Google?
You call people around asking if they would want to show their business name as the top result for particular keyword in Google search by paying you hansom dough.. hence cheating most of the web world and their hardwork, now when some govt has asked you to censor something you dont really wanna do it on moral grounds and after being attacked are running away like a byatch!!

way to do business big G!!!

DTalk

DomainMan
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Google can't handle China....No one can....These guys (China) play to their own rules.

The world's going to get seriously complicated as China's rise to global economic superstar status continues...

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Google can't handle China....No one can....These guys (China) play to their own rules.

The world's going to get seriously complicated as China's rise to global economic superstar status continues...

Yes, whether we like it or not, China's interaction with the rest of the world is a two way street: i.e. while China opens up and embraces KFC and MTV, we all have to adjust our "Western" way of doing things to accommodate our new friend (or foe).

valeria

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We are talking about China. Google can't dictate them what is good in their country. It is not "google will buy baidu if they want" it is "China will buy google if they want".

charlescarreon

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We are talking about China. Google can't dictate them what is good in their country. It is not "google will buy baidu if they want" it is "China will buy google if they want".

The Internet changes the relationships between sovereign nations, multinationals, and individual citizens. And the bigger issue isn't what Google can do to China. It's what the Internet does to Chinese people. Chinese people become aware of the fact that citizens in other countries enjoy much wider access to content, entertainment, information, and greater ability to express themselves politically. This is the same type of awareness that led to the fall of the Berlin wall, and the shift toward democratic government in many formerly "Eastern Bloc" nations.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The Internet changes the relationships between sovereign nations, multinationals, and individual citizens. And the bigger issue isn't what Google can do to China. It's what the Internet does to Chinese people. Chinese people become aware of the fact that citizens in other countries enjoy much wider access to content, entertainment, information, and greater ability to express themselves politically. This is the same type of awareness that led to the fall of the Berlin wall, and the shift toward democratic government in many formerly "Eastern Bloc" nations.
The Chinese people KNEW it all along. It's the attitude that's changed. Ironically, it's the post-Mao generations (those who born AFTER 1976, or more accurately 1979 when the "reform and open" policy was officially put forward) who dare to speak or even stand up more vigorously than their parents, exactly because they have never gone through those dark days, and don't realize it could be hell if you're even remotely on the other side of the government line.

However, unlike the fall of the Soviet Union and its satellite states back in the 1990s, a similar golden opportinity was already lost in Tiananmen. Things have changed so much in China that the country is now in a very different model, more like South Korea and Taiwan, so you could expect democracy to phase in kind of peacefully.

charlescarreon

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The Chinese people KNEW it all along. It's the attitude that's changed *** unlike the fall of the Soviet Union and its satellite states back in the 1990s, a similar golden opportinity was already lost in Tiananmen. Things have changed so much in China that the country is now in a very different model, more like South Korea and Taiwan, so you could expect democracy to phase in kind of peacefully.

My understanding of the Chinese mind is minimal. I signed up for Alibaba.com a few years back just to have some exchange and peek inside their commercial reality. It seems very vigorous and wide open on some levels, but on the other hand, the power of the bureaucrats to do whatever they like in the name of progress and order seems virtually total. I saw a movie called Manufactured Landscapes with incredible images of vast ecological devastation, resource exploitation, and pollution. It seems that the current social direction in China has tremendous inertia, and it will be a long time before anything changes significantly.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My understanding of the Chinese mind is minimal. I signed up for Alibaba.com a few years back just to have some exchange and peek inside their commercial reality. It seems very vigorous and wide open on some levels, but on the other hand, the power of the bureaucrats to do whatever they like in the name of progress and order seems virtually total. I saw a movie called Manufactured Landscapes with incredible images of vast ecological devastation, resource exploitation, and pollution. It seems that the current social direction in China has tremendous inertia, and it will be a long time before anything changes significantly.
It's true that government bureaucrats are VERY powerful; remember, it's a one party dictatorship we're talking about here. However, significant changes have been happening on a daily basis in the last decade (esp. since 2002 when China officially became Capitalistic). These changes are HUGE, and more importantly, they are not confined to economic "progress" that the government is so proud of, but more importantly, mind sets of ordinary people both young and old.

By the way, environmental protection may not be the best ruler to measure social inertia, after all, it's just 1 of the MANY "important" issues, even among advanced industrial states. A good sign is, with the totalitarian state phasing out, the Chinese people are getting more and more say in their own fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom