Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Google launches internet browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNP

Trust & Reliability
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Google is launching an open source web browser to compete with Internet Explorer and Firefox.

The browser is designed to be lightweight and fast, and to cope with the next generation of web applications that rely on graphics and multimedia.

Called Chrome, it will launch as a beta for Windows machines in 100 countries, with Mac and Linux versions to come.

"We realised... we needed to completely rethink the browser," said Google's Sundar Pichai in a blog post.

The new browser will help Google take advantage of developments it is pushing online in rich web applications that are challenging traditional desktop programs.

Google has a suite of web apps, such as Documents, Picasa and Maps which offer functionality that is beginning to replace offline software.

"What we really needed was not just a browser, but also a modern platform for web pages and applications, and that's what we set out to build," Mr Pichai, VP Product Management, wrote.

The launch of a beta version of Chrome on Tuesday will be Google's latest assault on Microsoft's dominance of the PC business. The firm's Internet Explorer program dominates the browser landscape, with 80% of the market.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Does it have a large red .MOBI button? :D

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Should be quite interesting......

Google takes aim at Microsoft with new Web browser

4 hours ago

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (AP) — Google will begin distributing its own browser in a move likely to heat up its rivalry with Microsoft.

The Internet search leader confirmed the long-rumored browser in a Monday posting on its Web site. Google said the free browser, called "Chrome," will be available for downloading Tuesday.

The browser represents Google Inc.'s latest challenge to Microsoft, whose Internet Explorer is used by nearly 75 percent of Web surfers. Google has been concerned that Microsoft will try to program Internet Explorer in a way that makes it more difficult for Google's search engine to attract traffic.

__

Best,
Dan
Story

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just started using Flock recently. An excellent Mozilla break off.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Spot on gorloy.

Google is ok for search and email, i leave them out for the rest now.

What happened to their tie up with FF?

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to take a guess on when we'll see a Google OS on PCs?
when google gives free computers and free internet access.
the only drawback is, you will have the google bar as a homepage.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've never been an Opera fan until recently. Anyone tried Opera v9.52? I like it so far, although I'm still searching for an inline spell checker add on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom