Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

google wants my name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soofi

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
guys, thanks for your valuable inputs. I'm 100% sure it is from Google.

At first I received a call from this guy based out of Bangalore, where Google's headquartered in India.. he straightaway asked if I was willing to sell my domain name (4 letter & perfect abbreviation for google's new product targeted towards Indian market) and interestingly I have similar business running on this name already, so the guy specifically mentioned that he only wants to buy THE domain name. I asked him to send me a short email about it, and I will get back to him in next half hour or so. He agreed and disconnected the phone, within next 5 minutes I saw an email popping up in my inbox from @google.com email address.. Interestingly, first email had no signature, just a politely written Hello, and that he was getting into a team meeting & would like to know my asking price so that he can discuss it with the team. I responded right away in about 20 minutes, asking if they have an offer in mind. His response came 5 minutes later with saying "I am willing to pay upto Rs. 15000 (aprox $300)" and interestingly, it had his signature with his name and this "Product Marketing | Google India". I called him back and his number was busy, so he returned my call 5 minutes later asking me whatsup.. I told him that his offer of Rs. 15000 is peanuts for me and I had a different expectation, so he asked about my expectation and I pitched $2500 (aprox. Rs. 110,000).. he said that's a too high of a price with the line that "it's not a must have domain for him, and only a good to have option and can raise his best offer to $500". He said consider my offer, and get back to him.. I said I'm convinced that i will not sell at that price, he still insisted that think over it and let him know. So I asked him if he works for some company, and he said he works for Google and based in Bangalore.

So I had his email lying in my inbox and I responded to the initial email offer saying "No Thanks".. his response came within next 2 minutes saying "Sure. Let me know if you change your mind or have a better offer." lol now I was lil' confused about the last part of his email.. so I responded to his email saying " asking price is quite genuine, considering the fact that such domain names normally sell for $xxxx+ range (ref: http://dnjournal.com/ytd-sales-charts.htm) and I'm not sure what new or better offer you are looking at." and I havent heard back from him since.. maybe he'll respond tomorrow from office again :p

Now I'm confused about one thing; does he want to buy and hold domain so that he can sell it to Google later down the line when product launches and Google goes after the domain or is he really buying for Google (cuz he also said he wants to discuss the asking price with his team)?

The .com version of my domain is with some company in Netherlands, not with Google.. and Google has launched a similar product line using a .co.uk website with a similar name, where I got the idea of registering this name & started my business on it almost a year and hlaf ago :D

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the original email? He may be masking his real email address with an @google.com address.

If you're using GMail, there's a link to see the original in each message.

Sounds like a confusing situation.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now I'm confused about one thing; does he want to buy and hold domain so that he can sell it to Google later down the line when product launches and Google goes after the domain or is he really buying for Google (cuz he also said he wants to discuss the asking price with his team)?

The .com version of my domain is with some company in Netherlands, not with Google.. and Google has launched a similar product line using a .co.uk website with a similar name, where I got the idea of registering this name & started my business on it almost a year and hlaf ago :D
A new breed of insider trading? Hmm, interesting.

Next time you hear from him, ask him to speak to his supervisor if he is not authorized to make the decision or the purchase on behalf of google.

I can say I work for Siemens but have no part in any of their decision making processes or buying strategies.

And on a side note, yes...I have sold a domain to a Google executive who let me know upfront who he was and what division and position he held.

Soofi

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the original email? He may be masking his real email address with an @google.com address.

If you're using GMail, there's a link to see the original in each message.

Sounds like a confusing situation.

Message in original link is from google only. And it's quite confusing for me.. but I'm glad I said "No Thanks" lol

---------- Post added at 02h05 ---------- Previous post was at 02h04 ----------

A new breed of insider trading? Hmm, interesting.

Next time you hear from him, ask him to speak to his supervisor if he is not authorized to make the decision or the purchase on behalf of google.

I can say I work for Siemens but have no part in any of their decision making processes or buying strategies.

And on a side note, yes...I have sold a domain to a Google executive who let me know upfront who he was and what division and position he held.

I think i'm not going to move even a bit from my asking price, and thinking of filing for trademark tomorrow for both: the abbreviation and full meaning.. what say Doc?

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Give him an expiration date of 3 days on your $2500 offer...

Aristo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt waste your money on a trademark. it no one has filed for one yet you can still keep the domain. and by you filing now, you want to be able to dispute name already registered.
why would you want to file for a TM?

Soofi

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt waste your money on a trademark. it no one has filed for one yet you can still keep the domain. and by you filing now, you want to be able to dispute name already registered.
why would you want to file for a TM?

If I file a trademark, Google wont be able to launch their product under my name, without the obvious domain name that I already have. And if they'd really want to launch their product, they will have to pay premium to buy this domain, trademark and rights.. just a thought!!

---------- Post added at 02h49 ---------- Previous post was at 02h49 ----------

Give him an expiration date of 3 days on your $2500 offer...

dont you think putting an expiration date would ruin a potential sale?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think i'm not going to move even a bit from my asking price, and thinking of filing for trademark tomorrow for both: the abbreviation and full meaning.. what say Doc?
No need to wait until tomorrow.

Please see this information and bookmark this.

Use the ™ or ® symbol to notify competitors of your trademarks

The ™ symbol may be used whenever a company wants to indicate any mark that they consider to be a trademark. A company does not need to file any paperwork or receive permission to use the ™ symbol. Use of the ™ symbol can put your competition on notice that you consider a mark your trademark.

The ® symbol may ONLY be used AFTER the US Government grants a Federal registration certificate. The ® symbol may not be used while the Federal application is pending. Additionally, the ® symbol may only be used in connection with the goods and services listed on the registration certificate.

By always using the correct trademark symbol whenever you use your trademark, your competitors should be put on notice of your trademark, which lets them respect your intellectual property. Likewise, you can prevent your customers from becoming confused by always respecting the trademarks of others, whether they use the ® or ™ symbol.

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

If I file a trademark, Google wont be able to launch their product under my name, without the obvious domain name that I already have. And if they'd really want to launch their product, they will have to pay premium to buy this domain, trademark and rights.. just a thought
I wish someone around here would teach a basic TM and Copyright class.

Yes, Google can launch a product or service even if you have a TM. People need to be aware that there can be one or one thousand TM's on the same name. It is that MARK (that part of the word Trademark) that can distinguish the differences. And it also depends on the verbiage of how the application and its uses are filed on the actual paperwork. Nuances in verbiage on the application form can lead to many trademarks being filed for the same product class by different companies or even the same company.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Here's a good example (or two) from the uspto database:

744549 Records(s) found for tablet computer
55681 Records(s) found for touch screen
94926 Records(s) found for touch pad
201 Records(s) found for rap (I mention this because I am working on a site).

Soofi

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
doc that means, they can start similar business with same name and trademark?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
doc that means, they can start similar business with same name and trademark?
Yup. Conversely, you can slap a TM on yours and go about your business, whatever that is.

To be sure, consult a TM attorney but hopefully the info I posted (and the linkage) gives you some pretty good idea what to do.

If there was any doubt, if you throw up a quick little WP site with YourDomain.com™ it will give others something to think about.

Tell them you are thinking about marketing and selling artificially flavored Apple horse treats.

Soofi

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yup. Conversely, you can slap a TM on yours and go about your business, whatever that is.

To be sure, consult a TM attorney but hopefully the info I posted (and the linkage) gives you some pretty good idea what to do.

If there was any doubt, if you throw up a quick little WP site with YourDomain.comâ„¢ it will give others something to think about.

Tell them you are thinking about marketing and selling artificially flavored Apple horse treats.

Thanks for the useful info Doc.

I already have a site on it, and provide free services on it to locals.. and that's exactly what Google is planning on doing with the name & product launch! But another fact is, that they have had similar services in other countries, would weaken my business?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
would weaken my business?
Do you think you can out gain market share from Google?

Time to come back to earth.

You have a site. Do the tm as I mention. Make it a different service. Focus in on a particular niche within that service. What are and where are the highest searches. If you have analytics running, you will have those metrics

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

ok, back to my own sites.

Soofi

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do you think you can out gain market share from Google?

Time to come back to earth.

You have a site. Do the tm as I mention. Make it a different service. Focus in on a particular niche within that service. What are and where are the highest searches. If you have analytics running, you will have those metrics

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

ok, back to my own sites.

lol thanks for the help and yeah back on earth now :p

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dont you think putting an expiration date would ruin a potential sale?
What a $500 sale? yeah maybe.

But you want a $2500 sale right? Setting an expiration date should let them know that if the do pass and come back later...there will be a new negotiation.

If it is Google acting on this and not some intern/temp with a google email and phone - They will be back.

Another thing I would say is to not be so quick to answer them - they contacted you because they want the name...let them think about it a bit.

Asa an FYI - When someone (in the course of negotiation) tells me that they really do not need the name - I then stop communication as they are not serious about it.

Last edited:

Soofi

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks, i think I'm going to wait for his response now & put that 3 day deadline whenever he does :)

What a $500 sale? yeah maybe.

But you want a $2500 sale right? Setting an expiration date should let them know that if the do pass and come back later...there will be a new negotiation.

If it is Google acting on this and not some intern/temp with a google email and phone - They will be back.

Another thing I would say is to not be so quick to answer them - they contacted you because they want the name...let them think about it a bit.

Asa an FYI - When someone (in the course of negotiation) tells me that they really do not need the name - I then stop communication as they are not serious about it.

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"fact that such domain names normally sell for $xxxx+ range (ref: http://dnjournal.com/ytd-sales-charts.htm) and "

Only the top 100 names "sell" in that range, and there is always concern that many of the "sales" are to non-paying bidders or worse. Ninty nine point nine percent of names sell below that range and most don't sell at all.

"Now I'm confused about one thing; does he want to buy and hold domain so that he can sell it to Google later down the line when product launches and Google goes after the domain or is he really buying for Google (cuz he also said he wants to discuss the asking price with his team)?"

I doubt anyone working at Google is going to risk losing his job cheating Google. If you have not noticed, people on DNForum are at the crazy end of cynical.

"The .com version of my domain is with some company in Netherlands, not with Google.. and Google has launched a similar product line using a .co.uk website with a similar name, where I got the idea of registering this name & started my business on it almost a year and hlaf ago"

Google and another company were there first, and you admit to copying the name from them. You are trademark-lawsuit bait.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks, i think I'm going to wait for his response now & put that 3 day deadline whenever he does :)

I think the main thing to understand and consider is that you are in the drivers seat. You have something they want and they contacted you without solicitation - that means you have a competitive advantage...you need to act accordingly.

Soofi

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
so now Google has launched their product with a new name, and my domain has seen steep rise in traffic + inquiries!! 60 received today only, wow!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom