Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Grace Period / Registrar Hold is it a must?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi :)

I remembering seeing a thread about names which where deleted after they expired without going through this phase in the drop cycle but I have searched DNF and couldnt find it.

My ? is do registrars have to give you the grace period / registrar hold (30-45 days) or can they jump right to redemption where it would cost $125 to get it back?

Sorry, I know this has been discussed in the past but my search found no sure answer.

Mike

ToastyX

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, registrars do not have to give you the grace period. It is up to the registrar to decide whether or not to hold it and how long to hold it.

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, registrars do not have to give you the grace period. It is up to the registrar to decide whether or not to hold it and how long to hold it.

Really? I thought the 30 day redemption grace period was now required since ICANN initiated the RGP early last year?

I have seen a lot of Active domains skip the Registrar Hold phase and go directly to Redemption, but I personally haven't noticed any skipping the Redemption period and going straight to Pending Delete.

ToastyX

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tippy was asking about the period of time between the time when the registrar renews the domain to give the owner a chance to renew it and the time when the registrar actually deletes the domain, so that's what I meant by "grace period." That is essentially the registrar's grace period, and it is up to the registrar to determine whether or not to hold the domain and how long to hold it. The status doesn't necessarily have to be "REGISTRAR-HOLD" either.

Once the registrar deletes the domain, it enters the Redemption Period. That is essentially the registry's grace period, so the registrar cannot bypass it. The only exception is, domains that are deleted within the first 6 days of registration skip the Redemption Period and go straight to Pending Delete.

I hope that clarifies things.

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK I understand what you were saying Toasty. I totally agree with you. It is up to the registrar to decide how long they will wait for payment before a registrar kicks a name into the RGP. I have seen many domain names that were months past their expiration dates before they actually went into the Registrar-Hold or Redemption phase.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I believe (posted above?) that "REGISTER-HOLD" can be 1-xxx days long (skipped) but "REDEMPTIONPERIOD" had to be the full length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom