Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Grassroots.org needs our help

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
...The issue is that Grassroots.org cannot fund the ticket from their budget, and they are looking to the domain community to help.

In all likelihood that's BS. I believe Grassroots.org is huge. I am sure 2k to them is like $20 to a lot of people here.

They probably just want handouts to promote the non-profit theme behind the operation. I also understand Michael Mann is incredibly wealthy. He sold BuyDomains.com for a fortune.

D

Deleted member 70408

In all likelihood that's BS. I believe Grassroots.org is huge. I am sure 2k to them is like $20 to a lot of people here.

They probably just want handouts to promote the non-profit theme behind the operation. I also understand Michael Mann is incredibly wealthy.

I don't think you nor I are in a position to make any type of judgement like that. I haven't seen their financials and I am pretty confident you haven't either. I don't think the director mentioned it to me just for shits and giggles.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think you nor I are in a position to make any type of judgement like that. I haven't seen their financials and I am pretty confident you haven't either. I don't think the director mentioned it to me just for shits and giggles.

All the nonprofits operate that way by pretending they have little money and act desperate for contributions. It goes with the territory when you are a non-profit. You are right, he did not mention it for giggles but basically to get a free ticket.

I am a lot older than you and have lots of experience with charitable organizations and have little or no sympathy for any of them. I am sure you have seen the constant media scrutiny they are under.

D

Deleted member 70408

Ultimately, the purpose of my blog post was to find a ticket for Grassroots.org. I really don't want this to turn into a bash-fest. If you want to support their cause, that would be great. If you don't, then you don't.

D

Deleted member 5660

If you want finnacial info just as for their tax return. All these non-profits (and industry groups) are required to provide their application of tax exempt status and the last 3 years of tax returns. I make these requests all the time and I made such a request to the Internet Commerce Assn. a few days ago. It is in Section 6104(d) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.

These organizations don't pay taxes themselves but they may pay their officers large sums. I got the returns of the RIAA a couple years ago and the head of that is paid millions per year alonfg with the law firm they use. The records companies fund the projects and they, of course, get tax deductions for sending them the money.

Not all of them do this. I have seen some charities where the officers get no salary at all so you really need to check and see.

D

Deleted member 70408

This really shouldn't have turned into a "bash Rick" thread. Based on an email he wrote to me this morning (which I just posted in the comment section of my blog), he has received many requests for free conference passes. Instead of having to decide on who was really needing the pass and who just didn't want to pay, I am sure it makes more sense just to say no. I can't really blame him.

I have been offered last minute passes to previous conferences, and the goal of my post was to see if someone had a ticket they couldn't use that they could donate instead.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you want finnacial info just as for their tax return.

Usually a tax return has one blank for employee compensation. They don't break down who got what. Do they also have to provide a financial statement that includes individual employee compensation? Since you have experience in this, can you get this info and share?

Angela Siefer

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'll try to make sure I answer everyone's comments. Fearless, on a nonprofit's federal tax form, the 990, each person compensated at more than $50K must be named and the amount listed. The 990 is the document you can view on www.guidestar.

Here is what I just posted to Elliot's Blog. http://www.elliotsblog.com/index.ph...ssrootsorg-to-traffic-las-vegas/#comment-2367

Trader, if you are ever uncertain about how a nonprofit spends its funds or where its funds come from you can research it on www.guidestar.org. You can even see how much the staff are paid. In our situation just enter Grassroots.org into the search box on Guidestar. Nonprofits must operate under full transparency. Grassroots.org has a $400,000 budget. Only 10% is spent on administrative costs.
We must fundraise to cover our budget. We cannot rely upon Mike Mann for two reasons: 1) If we were to be funded only by him then the IRS would not define us as a 501(c)3 public charity. 2) Relying upon one individual for funding is not a sound strategy. We need a diversified funding plan. Our income currently comes from foundations, Mike Mann and other individual donors.
I encourage folks to check out our site and see what we do. I am very proud of our services. We are currently assisting over 1000 charities and continually adding services. Not a minor accomplishment.
If you have questions about Grassroots.org, our services or our budget please contact me.

D

Deleted member 5660

Usually a tax return has one blank for employee compensation. They don't break down who got what. Do they also have to provide a financial statement that includes individual employee compensation? Since you have experience in this, can you get this info and share?

They are supposed to have to break down the salaries of their top officers (not necesasarily everyone). I had this fight with the Direct Marketing Assn. They falisified the documents they provided me and did exactly what you say, they wanted to hide the salary of their director. I contacted the IRS and spoke to an investigator for non-profits and I eventually got the full documents.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome Angela. Can you post a link to the current report? I hate creating accounts on the Internet.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome Angela. Can you post a link to the current report? I hate creating accounts on the Internet.

Hey maybe Greg will buy you a platinum membership Angela, Greg is a very giving guy . :yes:

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I just read the GuideStar report, the directors and legal councel were paid roughly $98k in 06.

Please note I was not specifically bashing Grassroots.org. Generally speaking I am quite negative toward most large charities what with all the spam solicitation calls I always get and all the bad media such as The Girl Scouts for example with their incredible offices and salary expenses.

Possibly Grassroots is good and also better than many other non-profits but I still wonder why they would be entitled to a free TRAFFIC ticket.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Possibly Grassroots is good and also better than many other non-profits but I still wonder why they would be entitled to a free TRAFFIC ticket.

I wouldn't say they're entitled to a TRAFFIC ticket but after Rick found out his competition, Domain Roundtable, GeoDomain Expo and DOMAINfest, provided free tickets and booth space, he'd follow their lead.

robmac

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a charity - can I have a freebie as well?? If the guy that supports it is a millionare he should pull some lose change out of his pocket and pay up like the rest of us. the only difference between a company and a charity/not for profit is the shareholding.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say they're entitled to a TRAFFIC ticket but after Rick found out his competition, Domain Roundtable, GeoDomain Expo and DOMAINfest, provided free tickets and booth space, he'd follow their lead.

TRAFFIC is clearly the front-runner and most important player in the domain conferences field. When you are the leader in any category you do not need to give away the store so to speak but the secondary players often do give lots of freebies and deals because they are always playing catch-up and looking harder than the front-runner for publicity and customers. That happens in various businesses all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom