Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Guidance for A beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mole98

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Started getting interested in the domain name buisness a couple of months ago. ive regged a few domains but there all worthless :(. i jumped in without knowing enough.
im looking for someone to show me the ropes a bit and help me out. i saw this buisness as a possible way to fund my fee's for university. although i may be setting my sights a bit high.
any help appreciated.

Scott,

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, you probably have high expectations. I have found that when you get into domain names you cannot expect much at first. As a newbie you are destined to reg worthless domain names and expect them to sell at X,XXX. Please PM me and I will answer any questions that you may have to the best of my ability.

jetblue

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Try to focus on one thing first. Many people get into this business looking to make a quick buck and then end up wasting a lot of money. 'Alot of money' could be $50, $500 or $3,000+. It's a hard business to get into as good domains are rare these days unless you have the big bucks. I have a network of 32 credit card affiliate websites. I focus mainly on credit cards. I am also a pilot for JetBlue. I can manage my websites (all affiliate websites) from hotels and airports. I love to fly, but running websites is a great time killer and it's awesome when I get home after a week and see money in the mail!

Jeff
JetBlue

tricolorro

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Started getting interested in the domain name buisness a couple of months ago. ive regged a few domains but there all worthless :(. i jumped in without knowing enough.
im looking for someone to show me the ropes a bit and help me out. i saw this buisness as a possible way to fund my fee's for university. although i may be setting my sights a bit high.
any help appreciated.

Scott,

Hi Scott,
here are 2 useful articles from FleeTheCube.com that will help you

Getting Started with Domaining
http://www.fleethecube.com/117/getting-started-with-domaining/

How to Make Money on the Web - The Domaining Business
http://www.fleethecube.com/51/how-to-make-money-on-the-web-the-domaining-business/

and this extensive 5 part article set from Erik Vossman

How to Make Money Buying and Selling Domain Names
http://www.erikvossman.com/2007/01/09/part-i-how-to-make-money-buying-and-selling-domain-names/

Note: Links to all 5 parts are on above link.

Enjoy and learn.
Patrick

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,
any help appreciated.

Scott,

establish a budget, whether it's $10, $1000 or more a month

figure in yearly renewal fee's!

even though reg-fee is cheap now, when it comes to renewing 1000 or more domains every year... you could be forced to drop some names, where one of those could be a "gem" for someone else!

read the sales sections and the wanted sections here on the forum, to know what buyers are looking for.

this is a cycle business, with peaks and valleys

read between the lines.

don't believe the hype

do your research

ask for references

Good Luck!

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
establish a budget, whether it's $10, $1000 or more a month

figure in yearly renewal fee's!

even though reg-fee is cheap now, when it comes to renewing 1000 or more domains every year... you could be forced to drop some names, where one of those could be a "gem" for someone else!

read the sales sections and the wanted sections here on the forum, to know what buyers are looking for.

this is a cycle business, with peaks and valleys

read between the lines.

don't believe the hype

do your research

ask for references

Good Luck!
Scott, biggie gave some very valuable advice already. You will find more domainers on this forum who are willing to share their experiences and help new domainers get started in the business. Just make sure you read a lot (DNForum.com, DNJournal.com, domain blogs) and to really ask questions if you have a question. Make sure you know what you're doing before you start investing money. The most common mistake is what you've done: To buy domains before knowing what makes a domain worth more than its reg fee. Good luck!

Regarding domain blogs, here's a list for you:

Ambler.net
Blog.Domaintools.com
Blogs.Business2.com/Sloan
Conceptualist.com
DailyDomainer.com
DomainEditorial.com
DomainersGazette.com
DomainNameNews.com
DomainNameWire.com
DomainNews.com
HighEndWebNames.com/Blog
RicksBlog.com
SevenMile.com
TopNotchDomains.com/Blog
Whizzbang.Typepad.com

mole98

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply's :D
looks like ive got alot of reading and research ahead of me.
really appreciate the help

ill keep letting people know how im getting on domaining

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom