Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Hard Drive Crashes & Musings

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruwebby

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is it just me, or, have others, upon perusing the posts regularly, see an alarming rate of hard drive crashes?

I mean it seems like some sort of boilerplate excuse, and please, I mean no ill will towards those whose hard drives really crash - having been the victim myself early last year, but it is starting to sound like a "My dog ate my homework." excuse LOL :D

We are all in the web business one way or another, and I have every site of mine, and every server, and every database backed-up three fold.

I read about these sites for sale with huge audiences then inevitably, a site with thousands of members now has none because the web server's HD crashed. Now there's only 10 users ... does no one back up any more?

Again - this is pointed at NO ONE in particular and if this even remotely sounds like you - forget it, it's not about you - it's just a ramble I thought of and wanted to voice my opinion on :D

As a matter of fact - I think everyone here should have a new 2005 resolution:

Keep backups!
Many backups!
Make backups of backups! (I had a backup hard drive crash once)
Yes, backups are your friends :)

Anyway, back to work ...

Hope everyone is enjoying the start to their New Year!!!

May 2005 bring much happiness, health and wealth :)

jojoyohan

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My hard drives have never crashed on anything. About once a year I usually have to reformat my HD because of the spyware and adware that I got through internet explorer. I now use mozilla firefox and I havn't seen a popup in the 3 months I've had my new computer.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not really crashes but major data "losses" about 3 times in the last 15 years on my home PC's and 2 hard drive crashes on rented servers - I find external drives and Acronis Trueimage to be great for my home PC's.
I now have two VPS servers which get backed up nightly with proven reliability to restore at file level - a great peace of mind.

ruwebby

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The hard drive of mine that crashed and burned was only 3 months old! A very decent and expensive 120 GIG IBM harddrive. I was so mad. It had 10,000+ digital pics on it that I had taken from travelling around Europe when I lived over there.

As well as work files.

Fortunately, I also kept CD copies of the work files - so they were not lost ... but the photos. I never thought I had to backup the backup.

Now we religiously back everything up in triplicate. :D

And we have one dedicated server online only for backups.

Yes, peace of mind - how good it is.

Of course until the world totally implodes ...

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Yes, I was upset when I lost my pr0n pics too :-D

unholy1

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lost over 40GB of Data over 2 years ago. Had the data just been images or MP3 files I wouldn't have cared but it was 4 years of receipts, databases, spreadsheets and other important documents which I had compiled over a period of many years.
At the spur of the moment I procured a 6x80GB SCSI RAID 5+ADG file server for my storage plus a DLT Tape backup drive with CA Arcserve backup software and win2k advanced server.
It cost me over 25K but looking back, I think it was the best investment I made, as it has spared me countless medical bills I probably would have had to cough up if it had happened again taking into consideration the history of hypertension and heart problems in my family.
Expensive it may be for a home computer, but having peace of mind and a healthy heart, it was well worth it.

My data is now a lot safer even when travelling with my laptop, I simply store everything under my roaming profile and when I connect to the internet from other locations my data gets synchronized thru Checkpoint VPN to my server at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom