Help! I Think One Of My Domain Names May Have Been Stolen

MAllie

Level 8
Reaction score
Quite by chance I happened on GoDaddy auctions and, to my amazement, saw one of my Register.com domains there, with 9 days left.

I immediately went to my Register.com account and discovered my password wasn't accepted.

I will contact GoDaddy and Register.com, but I'm wondering how this could have happened. I use different passwords for all sites - I happen to have a good memory. So this is the only one that can be affected.

MAllie

Level 8
Reaction score
I can't find the link to edit my previous post, so have to do another one here.

I checked my Register.com account after changing my password, and the domain is still in my account there.

I rechecked that I wasn't making a mistake about the name in GoDaddy auctions, which I wasn't, and then got onto GoDaddy through their Dublin number. After a long and frustrating conversation with a nice but clueless guy - who kept telling me they didn't deal with Register.com names, then looked in my account and said the domain definitely wasn't there - I discovered that it was Afternic who put the domain in the auction there. And apparently in 2012, despite the fact that there are still 9 days left according to the auction note.

I asked that it be removed and was told I had to go to Afternic. However, I insisted a stop be put on it till I talked to them, which I hope to do shortly.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

I'll update later for anyone who's interested.

MAllie

Level 8
Reaction score
Still can't see the edit link, so here it is, Theo: palmerstown.com

MAllie

Level 8
Reaction score
Well, if someone buys it at an auction unauthorized by me, I suppose it might be.

Theo

Level 20
Reaction score
Is the domain in your registrar account, or is it not? I think that you need to update this thread to reflect that.

MAllie

Level 8
Reaction score
Theo, in my second post I wrote:

I checked my Register.com account after changing my password, and the domain is still in my account there.

I guessed you missed it. :)

You will also note that, before I was able to check, my header says may have been stolen.

MAllie

Level 8
Reaction score
I'm not claiming help any more, Theo, and certainly not from someone as grumpy as you. Who rattled your cage? You didn't have to respond, it was your own choice.

I hope tomorrow will be better for you. :)

MAllie

Level 8
Reaction score
Right, so this is the story, which Pen/Paul has helped me put the ending to: because the domain is parked at Afternic and this is now under the same ownership as GoDaddy, it's in a GoDaddy make-offer auction rather than a live auction. It would have been nice if the GoDaddy rep had been able to tell me that.

To complicate matters, some time ago I got a warning from Register.com that my account was one of those targeted by someone with possibly malicious intent, hence my initial alarm.

I suppose many (if not most) of you out there knew about the Afternic/GoDaddy link already, so I'm sorry for troubling anyone irritated by my post.

But it's lovely to know that there is a caring Afternic guy on hand on the forum to help out in these matters. Thanks again, Paul. :)

Top Bottom