Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Help me figure out why this domain has really high ovt w/e and NO traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I was searching for names that had ovt w/extension and I found a typo of candystand.com.

candydatand.com - it had an overture w/e of 1863 so needless to say, I registered it, duh. I got this name on November 5th. The 1863 was from the September 2005 Overture results.

After I realized there was no traffic, I decided it was a fluke. But.. October 2005 Overture Results give candydatand.com an ovt w/e of 1809. So the ovt dropped a little, but it's still pretty high.

Explanation? Was there a fluke in the system and the traffic disappeared in November when I registered it? I'd believe it was a scam, if someone had told me about it, or I'd purchased it from someone- but I registered it and found it while searching on my own.

So help me figure this out... please. :) This mystery name is bothering me, and unless I figure out the high numbers, I can't offer an explanation to a potential buyer, so I won't offer it until then.

Stats for November: Ovt w/ext 1970

Domain Days 2024

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well I too have seen this on some domains...usually typos of small sites that would normally be like a 25 or 32, etc..and for some reason they show HUGE overture numbers...what I always look for and which also is a good indicator of potential traffic is the amount of times the phrase shows without the .com on the end...for example...a typo of like adultfriendfinder.com might be a 45 ovt w/e but it might have zero results by itself without .com on it, then another might only be a 38 but have 126 results by itself and thus gets ALOT more traffic in the end. We have to remember that overture ranking and scores represent the amount of times the phrase or domain was SEARCHED for in the address bar...it does not count type-ins which is the big mis-conception..some typo domains get searched for alot more than they get typed in and vice versa..it's all a dice roll. I still honestly cannot believe that domain has such a hig ovt score though and NO traffic...thats nuts..are you sure it's redirected right?

Chris

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I understand what ovt w/e means. This is just one of those bizarre ones in the system, from whenever it decides to burp.

I'm not even redirecting to anything, I've got it going to a small hosting account, so I can view stats. I've had about 4 hits this month so far, and that would include bots and people who got the address from my signature.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hmmmm weird bro

MrDude

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe it gets traffic and what your using to log the traffic is in error? Try on a PPC parking company such as namedrive (I have no idea whats on the site and cant check, im in college)

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stats for November: Ovt w/ext 1970.

Still no traffic as far as I can see from Webalizer.

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Jonathan said:
Stats for November: Ovt w/ext 1970.

Still no traffic as far as I can see from Webalizer.

no views at all?

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just some search bots.

MJM

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Be happy you hand regged it.

I've purchased names for five figures partially based on their Overture, only for it's true traffic to be significantly lower. e.g. 3k ovt, 15-20 uniques a day.

No mystery, I'd chalk it up as a part of the game. Our Overture approximates/estimates cannot always be on target. Just as the legitimacy of those ovt results being fed to us cannot always be on target.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Its pretty easy to see why it doesn't get much traffic...

How many people type in "da" instead of "s"?

However, congrats on finding an available name with such a high OVT w/ ext score...and it was worth the $8 risk to see if it got any traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom