Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Help with my ".by" domain name...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJCOM

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to IDNs and need just a little bit of help...

I registered a domain with 101domain. It has a ".by" extension. It took a few weeks but eventually the order cleared and according to 101domain.com I own the domain...

However, there is something about 101domain.com that just makes me suspicious and I'm growing doubtful as to whether or not I really do own the domain or if I am being scammed...

Wondering if you can help me out with a few things questions...

1) Are there other ways to confirm I own my ".by" domain? I have searched for WHOIS lookup sites but can't find one that supports ".by" domains.

2) Regardless of whether not 101domain.com is legit or not I'd like to transfer my domain elsewhere. Whats a good and trustworthy site that will allow me to transfer my domain name to? I tried Godaddy but they don't support .by. (I guess that was super newbie of me, lol)

3) Same question as #2 but just incase it's a different answer: What's a good and trustworthy site to REGISTER a new ".by" domain that I don't already own anywhere else.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is the list of accredited registrars:
http://cctld.by/registrators

101domains must be some kind of reseller, or perhaps they are just a go-between to the registry. You could have done the application yourself I guess.
But frankly I don't think there is any value in .by domains at present, let alone IDNs...
I am not even sure it is open to foreigners.
Did you try setting up custom name servers for your domains ? At least you could see if you control it.

DJCOM

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not registering my ".by" because i think ti has value for resale... I have a website I'd like to develop and I like the XXX.by address I have.

I can change the name servers to my media temple DNS but I have to wait for it to go through... like 48 hours. Sounds like they're a reseller... How do you suggest I get my domain OFF 101domain and onto something different?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, you have the list of official registrars.
You don't have a lot of choice, in fact it could be that transfers between registrars are not possible. Wouldn't surprise me.
Best is to shop around and ask the registrars for guidance.
It appears that no whois service is available in that extension.

yanni

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The .by registry does not provide whois records for you to check.

101domain is a good registrar to have your domains with. A bit pricey though when it comes to cctlds.

Domain.by has an English interface and the cost is only $27 USD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom