Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Hostgator will take your money no matter what

Status
Not open for further replies.

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I set a domain not to renew then tried to check before the next billing cycle went through.

I couldn;t get into the account no matter how many times i reset the password the billing screen would not open. The hosting account and ticket system passwords DID work.

"Sales" was supposed to "get back to me".

Today i got an email in response to an email cancelling service:

Hello,

Your billing account was set to canceled. I have set it back to on and active. You can login at hostgator.com/billing using the password s8tTtXgO

If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

Seth Daughenbaugh
HostGator.com Sales and Support
http://tickets.hostgator.com

AND i as billed at 2:13 am no matter how many emails I sent to hostgator support the night before demanding NO payment be charged.

bank of Hostgator anyone?

Bueller?

tristanperry

Domainer & Web/Software Dev
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that :undecided: Do you know if the billing issues were affecting many of their customers or just you?

Either way, have you tried contacting any of their managers since this happened?

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This scam is getting worse and worse. I just got an email from Hostgator staff telling me they had switched the (my contact email) email to another contact email per their TOS privileges.

Wait-it gets better.

the Hostgator staff says that "seth" assumed a ten month old invoice from a domain i cancelled was the one I was "trying " to renew.

Yeah. i guess that explaines why Seth changed the renew option on the other domain and charged my credit card.

Liars people. LIARS.

They are dodging responsibility so much i am getting angry and dizzy. Um what?

This company is doing its d*mnedest to not admit they billed improperly.

I tried switching the email contact last night to one I check frequently to get the password that mysteriously could not be issued. Evidently Hostgator (as of late today) doesn't wanna use the yahoo and they just switched it back to the old (nonworking) hotmail. So i log into my yahoo fr trouble ticket updates and hosting account informaton and still the former one for billing that the Hostgator company can;t handle in any case.

This is the WTF factor of all time. What the h*ll is Hostgator smoking?

My hosting account password worked. My ticket support password worked. But the billing password mysteriously just couldn't get reissued or work. And guess what folks, the yahoo is the paypal the billing is under. So amazing , no?

Last edited:

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am now being told by Hostgator that "nothing is wrong".
I am so sickened by this palpable dishonesty i want to throw up.

Customer: " hello Hostgator I want to cancel my hosting"
Hostgator": Thank you for your business We've changed the option to renew from "not renew" to renew and billed your card. have a nice day!!!"

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
They have live chat support 24/7..... Did you use it?

I had a similar billing situation and they resolved it very quickly when I used live support.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have several reseller plans with them for the past 2 years with no problem.
Tech support (live chat) is great and most problems resolved within 30 minutes or less.
I just canceled one plan 2 weeks ago and they took care of the request in 24 hours.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hostgator is one of the worst companies to use for anything related to web. Hosting, Domains, etc!

Hosting by far is THE WORST!

LAMO

And WHY is that? If your going to trash a company, At least tell us WHY you think their the worst OK?

I've been with them for nearly 5 years and rarely had a problem.... Their web hosting, service and customer support is top notch... FAR better than the crap support one would receive at Godaddy.

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am well warned to get my sites off and out before something like this happens again. Clearly my issue was not treated professionally, as well as a company making independent billing decisions. How can a company say their operator wouldn't know which domain I was dealing with after he changed the email contact associated with it

i have never had a hosting company respond to my request for a billing password generation problem "resolved" by the customer support people making a midnight decision to put my domain back in the billing queue, then have another customer support person play denial and say 'everything is fine".

This after a third customer support person simply outlined all the ways Roastgator could use the TOS to do anything they wanted. Customer Service is c r * p.

Total. Crap. Treatment.
No mistake.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a breakdown in communication, Which usually happens when the client depends solely on email communication to resolve the issue.... I'm sure if the phone or live chat was used, this would not of happened.

Vinnee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Love the Gator. I suggest going about it in a better state of mind. No doubt, you're ticked. I've had great support (if needed) and no issues up to this point (years). Try and get in touch and see if the next agent is better suited to support your request.

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not loving the Gator and removing all my domains form their hosting. if the company is that dependent on live chat they should enable it.

I have about 40 emails to and from Hostgator, various agents, all add up to nada flavored customer service.

Every one of them in a stage of suspension of my wishes and billing in accordance with their wishes.

(1) A company that is making independent administration decisions inside my hosting account is an enemy.
(2) A company that bills against my express wish is a fraud and scam.
(3) And a customer service policy that allows a customer service operator to pretend I want domain a renewed when the company had 20 emails saying no has no right to switch the option back and bill me for renewal and then write "have a nice day".

Then at the same time email me I shouldn't be "blaming them" because they assumed a domain I canceled last year (even though i was logged in on another domain account) didn't match my current email contact address, so they CHANGED IT TO MATCH THEIR TASTES.

Then their customer service operator made a mistake, changed the not renew setting to renew (something nobody asked him to do), made an error without verifying it form me, compounded that error by billing me, and never once verified by phone or email any of it.

Nope that doesn't sound like cogent customer service to me. I'd say the only breakdown in communication was that I beleived people who told me Hostgator was different.

chrisb72

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow. Im looking to host somewhere but after hearing that I wont be going there.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you've had trouble with them. I use Hostgator for most of my hosting needs and I've never had any problems like this. I'm also pretty satisfied with their support.

dejanlesi

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am a happy Gator customer as well.. Like someone before me said, use live chat and phone and everything is resolved fast.. As for the live chat agents some are so skilled that they resolve everything some just tell you e-mail support. If you get the second type just cancel your chat session wait a few minutes and go back to a different agent.. It has worked for me on many occassions..

GUA

Gremlin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I use hostgator.

I agree, most of their live support agents suck, but many are awesome. I Have had various problems which are almost always resolved adequately eventually. I wouldn't reccomend anyone els.e Best of luck.

I use hostgator.

I agree, most of their live support agents suck, but many are awesome. I Have had various problems which are almost always resolved adequately eventually. I wouldn't reccomend anyone els.e Best of luck.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I set a domain not to renew then tried to check before the next billing cycle went through.
AND i as billed at 2:13 am no matter how many emails I sent to hostgator support the night before demanding NO payment be charged.

I have been with HostGator for years and always experienced prompt & quality customer support. Even the ticket system is answered in under an hour...

It sounds like a matter of timing. When did you request the domain to not renew versus when it was scheduled to renew?

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I use Hostgator as well and there support has been great so far. They just helped me with a change in MX records and problem was resolved in an hour. Sorry to hear that you had a problem Myst.

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
looks like all the myst woman's communications are by email. maybe they are weak in that area; i have found their live chat support (which is free) to be helpful in resolving a problem about 80% of the time.

Thaitime

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They are one of the hosting services we use, given the time difference we have nothing to complain about, very cost efficient solution.

We do not register and host at the same company anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom