Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Hosting in the Cayman Islands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolDot

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So, free speech does still exist.

It does! And that's what makes this country great! Lots of countries in the world where this is not the case...

But I still believe lawyers have crapped up the system's pipes for too long. And as long as millionairs and sports-idols can go free because they hired the right lawyers I won't have much trust in the "equal rights for all" proclamations.

So hosting in a place where those lawyers have a hard time getting to you is, in my opinion, a good thing.

Cayman-tips anybody? :))

And thanks for all your input!
CoolDot

CoolDot

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine why anyone would want to shut down a site that is 'news' related and gives the opinion of its owner...?

I am not so concerned about anybody shutting the site down (heck, it's not even up yet :) ), but more concerned about having to cave in because I can't afford the lawyers to protect myself against legal attacks.

If they shut the site down then so be it, I'll find another way to speak up. But if I find myself threatened by a law-suit over 80 million dollars (or some other fictious sum they might conjure up) then hiring the $70 an hour lawyer from next corner won't do me much good. Will it?

So I don't worry about them shutting the site down. But I do worry about them pouring legal crap over me until I have to cave in (which, with my financial means would be instantly).

Hosting in the Cayman's anybody? :)) Thanks!

Reaction score
Hello CoolDot,

We (Moniker.com) have a couple of large customers that opperate out of the Cayman Islands including NameAdmin.

Cable and Wireless is the main backbone in the caribbean, Their customers at the Cayman brac facility (where the pipe comes in) have secure colo facilities on Cayman Brac.. C+W's number on the brac is 345-948-2213.. you can ask them who the main operators are for the product you're looking for. I know one of the main ones is www.bic.ky

The Grand Cayman head office number for C+W is 345-949-7800 I'm sure they can redirect you if you can't get a contact from the Brac office or www.bic.ky.

Hope this Helps,

Monte

CoolDot

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello mcahn, that helps a lot. I'll contact you soon. Thanks!

Please PM me your email-address if you may. I'd like to ask you a few questions about the hosting. Thanks!

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this doesn't make sense.....

if you are in america, I don't think it matters where your hosting is. they can go after YOU just the same. if your worry is about you, and not the site, then it is YOU that should be looking to relocate out of the usa (cayman's is as good a place as any! :)

personally, I don't think you have anything to worry about. even if the legal system is a bit screwey toward rich murderers, we take free speech very seriously. if your site is what I think it is, you should be well protected. I would call the ACLU and get their opinion as well. they may even choose to represent you in the case of trouble.

CoolDot

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MovieDomains, thanks. What you write makes sense to me. I'll think about it. And yes, that America puts so much emphasis on free speech DOES give my future site additional protection. I'll put some more thought into it.

thanks!
CoolDot

shaw

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Cable & Wireless is the telecom monopoly in Cayman islands. As with most monopolies, I suspect they'll either be very expensive and/or provide terrible services. As a previous poster noted, even nameadministration.com, a major domain owner based in Cayman, uses a Canadian ISP. They also seem to keep most of their domains with Tucows, another Canadian company.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by shaw
Cable & Wireless is the telecom monopoly in Cayman islands. As with most monopolies, I suspect they'll either be very expensive and/or provide terrible services. As a previous poster noted, even nameadministration.com, a major domain owner based in Cayman, uses a Canadian ISP. They also seem to keep most of their domains with Tucows, another Canadian company.

Maybe name admin is out of canada or the US.

They are fronting in the caymens for tax evasion or something,
getting services thru canada for whatever reason, and are located in US or CAN :)

Isnt that what PO boxes are for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom