Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How did GregR do it? (AKA: the first Domain Name Frorum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ObtainADomain

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just thought this was interesting:

Only based on the dates in the Whois record (I don't know the real history, but please someone, fill me in) the original Domain Name Forum at: http://www.domainnameforum.com
was created by Neera Kumari on 1/28/2000. Her/his forum stats: 5 registered users, 16 posts.

Based on the whois, GregR came out with this Domain Name Forum almost 2 years later on 12/23/2001 and has managed to build these stats: Registered Members: 2,561
Total Posts: 138,067!

Now comparing the two forums, Kumari's doesn't seem noticeably inferior to GregR's. This all makes me wonder, what is the secret to GregR's success with this forum? (other than his huge cult following)

Wouldn't that be a hoot if Kumari is secretly an active poster on this forum. Kumari, if you're reading this, please reveal yourself.

ObtainADomain

PS: Which Domain Related Forum is the next biggest competitor to this one?

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After http://www.nwforum.com died I came to this forum, I think most people here were active members there.

But don`t know how It is now so much users

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1. Gregr didn't start this forum. Dan did. He then sold it to gregr.

2. It's all about word of mouth and placing some ads.

placing first in google for the term "domain name forum" helps as well =)

ObtainADomain

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by icehole
1. Gregr didn't start this forum. Dan did. He then sold it to gregr.

Now that I know, my apologies to Dan for not giving him his due. Was it this huge and listed first on Google when GregR took over or did GregR build it up?

Wouldn't that be juicy to know how much Dan sold it for?

ObtainADomain

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ObtainADomain Now that I know, my apologies to Dan for not giving him his due. Was it this huge and listed first on Google when GregR took over or did GregR build it up? Wouldn't that be juicy to know how much GregR payed for it? ObtainADomain

I am fairly sure on the amount but I'm not telling :D :D :D

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well, Dan didn't hesitate to tell me when I asked, so I guess they dont care really.

$4k

DotDuDe

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
:) how much he paid for this forum if it's not a business secret?:)

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ObtainADomain

This all makes me wonder, what is the secret to GregR's success with this forum?

Surely your question is rhetorical. You've been a member for over a month.

What got you to come here?

Why did you stay?

ObtainADomain

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr
Surely your question is rhetorical. You've been a member for over a month. What got you to come here? Why did you stay?

My hat's off to you GregR for your success. As Icehole mentioned, I'm here because I typed in: "domain name forum" in Google and yours was the first one. When I saw that there were over 2,000 members, I didn't even bother looking at the other listings.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by icehole well, Dan didn't hesitate to tell me when I asked, so I guess they dont care really.
$4k

It's personal business and none of anyone's business. Also, the price you said was given to you by Dan may not be accurate. Why give that info here without Greg's confirmation or consent?

Dan had a Big Mouth .:eek: and could not keep business dealings quiet. The main reason for all the trouble during the sale time frame last Sept was Dan's big mouth in revealing things he was told to keep confidential by all other parties.

Dan did not do that unfortunately. But he has an excuse - amazingly he was a minor, only 17 yrs old!

trent2275

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I got here from word of mouth from someone selling a domain name.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom