Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How important is your name when selling

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Obviously if you are using a Hotmail address, you are not going to be taken seriously and will find it harder to get a decent price, but how important is it to use the correct domain name for selling?

I tend to use multiple interlinked domains to set up a service, and I've probably got about a dozen for domain management and selling. I'm about to send out a few targeted eMails and was wondering which address to use.

My preference is for www.BuyAny.com, as I feel that www.make-me-an-offer.com is great for suggesting unsolicited offers, but not so good for direct selling. Do you agree, or would I be better off using a more conventional selling name?

jingle

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think if you have an attractive domain for your "domains for sale" site or email address it will inspire confidence in your visitors. I don't think the domain has to be related to domains or domain selling to inspire confidence. I see some sellers that are using what I would consider to be a very poor quality domain for their site, and I think their visitors probably think "this person is trying to sell me a domain and look at the one he/she uses for their own site"

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
M

mole

None of the above, pairs:dead: Your selling email should speak of credibility and authority.

Something like domainconsultant.biz or domainconsultant.us are some available names that help you with that.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I can't have a .us as I'm English, and I still feel that the only international domains are .coms and .nets. Yes, of course there is a place for the other tlds, but they are still a long way behind the big 2.

How about using nomen.tuum.com then, or shall I not bother with the sub-domain?

M

mole

Originally posted by DomainPairs
I can't have a .us as I'm English, and I still feel that the only international domains are .coms and .nets. Yes, of course there is a place for the other tlds, but they are still a long way behind the big 2.

How about using nomen.tuum.com then, or shall I not bother with the sub-domain?

Of course you can buy a .us domain. Just buy a .us domain from eNom and classify yourself as C3/CC, heh.

Disjointed domains were cute in the past, today they are passe, imo and worth little except to kids. Get the real thing.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Columbia

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It does not matter. Your buyer must love your names. That's it! Even if your name is a b**shit.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainPairs Obviously if you are using a Hotmail address, you are not going to be taken seriously.....

This is something which happens all the time, be it hotmail yahoo or other free email addresses.

I can't begin to tell you how often I run into that, not just in domain names but buying & selling other misc products and services too not related to domain names.

Often times I am given an address like [email protected] as the email address of the vice pres or sales manager at XYZ.corp., sometimes its a seemingly impressive company and website, which other than the email address seems credible.

A few times my wondering about an idiotic free email account address actually ruined a deal with them. One guy in particular was not too happy when I asked him why he did not use his firms domain as a professional sounding email address, though it was an obvious thing to do and would have given him so much more credibility as far as being legit goes.

He never did grasp or understand the issue after I explained it to him. I noticed on the firms website he was still using that free yahoo address 2-yrs later, even after he knew he lost my deal in part due to it. What idiots!

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainPairs
Obviously if you are using a Hotmail address, you are not going to be taken seriously and will find it harder to get a decent price, but how important is it to use the correct domain name for selling?

I find it hard to take any business serious using a hotmail, yahoo, or even an aol address. Not to mention the fact that many of these addresses are filtered out by spam filters.

I tend to use multiple interlinked domains to set up a service, and I've probably got about a dozen for domain management and selling. I'm about to send out a few targeted eMails and was wondering which address to use.

Sounds complicated, and potentially confusing to the customer. As a customer, if you contact me using different email addresses, I'd be suspect of your trying to hide something just as someone who used alias real names for different situations. To me, multiple emails or free accounts equals "suspected spammer".

My preference is for www.BuyAny.com, as I feel that www.make-me-an-offer.com is great for suggesting unsolicited offers, but not so good for direct selling. Do you agree, or would I be better off using a more conventional selling name?

The "make-me-an-offer" may be okay for your domain contact in whois, but doesn't really make a good company name in my opinion with the three hyphens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom