Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How Long Before COM loses its Throne?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
in my country they name the street by the first person lived in there

i think this is the rule here

the first to appear the first to rule as long as the street is there

as long as there is internet

.com will be on top

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One has to define "throne", first. If it's defined as the % of Fortune 1000 companies using the extension, the answer would likely be never.

If it's measured by the % of internet traffic to an extension, then it might happen within 5 years, e.g. .kr or .cn would get a lot of traffic, albeit from their own citizens.

For those who want a global audience, though, .com will be extremely difficult to replace, given most of the elite multinational companies are happy where they are, and won't move from .com for their main site.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by zouzas

i never new myself what de meant ,so you think its obivious com would not be king in Germany now ,,so you have already admmitted com has been dethrowned when countries outside the us are involved :-D

so now you now why .de is so popular in Germany :)

Of course in every country (I am sure there are exceptions), the preferred extension would be the country's own extension!

Germany has a high rate of internet penetration, so of course .de is great internally.
But If a german company wanted global presence, they would try first for a .com, and if non successful, get a .de, or both which is optimal.

What I perceived your question to be, and I could be wrong, was if of all TLD's which one would stay on the 'throne' and my answer is undoubtly .com
now local markets, countries etc... play a big role, and of course, nationals of different countires might actually, and probably do first check their own extension first, but overall, .com is king because it has no boundaries...

P.S.
You seriously thought someone just through together 2 letters like 'de' and it cought on??? :)

M

mole

Originally posted by seeker

.com is king because it has no boundaries...

I believe that sometimes people do appreciate clearly labelled boundaries when looking for things - global reach is great, but local touch is just as important to many. A .US extension, for example, does lend a defining note on the audience the site is targeting. What the webmaster does with the name is a completely different thing.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
good point mole.
I completely agree.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tony

How the hell do you figure that? :huh:

Well, who is to say that something newer isnt developed on a completely different level.

I was just throwing ideas around but to me, its not too far fetched.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good Post DNMole..
Thats the insight I think we are beginning to see DNMole,
Give .com it's due..well deserved due...but Companies are indeed realizing that people are looking for "local" ...and by companies getting cctlds for the countries they do business in it shows that they are serious about setting upm a "local" shop....

I still think Kelly Services is the perfect example of getting "it" right ..

They use their .com as the main corporate..but the ccTLds as the main site for EACH speperate market..

http://www.kellyservices.ru/
http://www.kellyservices.de/
http://www.kellyservices.es/
http://www.kellyservices.ch/
http://www.kellyservices.com.mx/
http://www.kellyservices.no/

Oh..and for those that say..yeah Ok.but .com still means USA..

well...
http://www.kellyservices.us :)

The cost is not prohibitive at all really..think about it.. their are what 162 Countries.. well really only about 100 that matter (unless of course you live in the other 62 )

100 domains .. basically 1k a year..big deal..change for most any company.

100 websites.. still anywheres from 1k to sky's the limit..
Hosting..well lest see I pay $20 a month and I can host 100 websites..

Point being even for smaller comapnies ..they can present themselves with "local" presence all over the world for less than the cost of the the annual christmas party if they wanted too..

And that is the extreme..the idea is to at least get a ccTLD and presennt your local image to the 15-25 largest ccTLD markets.

Kelly Services is in essense giving respect to each of those countries simply by buying those countries cctLDs .. and that little extra of at least trying to show a local effort can really pay off... people do "buy" image..

Give .com her due.. but ccTLDS are about Identity.. and like you said "local touch is just as important to many" and to brush aside those "identity" markets simply isnt good business.

Originally posted by DNMole

I believe that sometimes people do appreciate clearly labelled boundaries when looking for things - global reach is great, but local touch is just as important to many. A .US extension, for example, does lend a defining note on the audience the site is targeting. What the webmaster does with the name is a completely different thing.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gotasale
in my country they name the street by the first person lived in there

i think this is the rule here

the first to appear the first to rule as long as the street is there

as long as there is internet

.com will be on top

.org, .net, .edu, .gov, and .mil are just as old as .com -- they were all created in the 1980s.

Delete

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
IMO .com will always be top but im sure there will be a lot more new extensions in the future however .com will remain supreme

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
for everyone that says com is surpreme and will always be on top maybe you should first look at your own signature lines and see what extension your promoting for most its NOT com:-D

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In my country, they name streets whatever the developer feels like naming them when they build them. Then the city council sometimes renames existing streets for political reasons. Right now, it's politically incorrect for any city or town to fail to have a "Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.".

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Fact is there is only one com extension in the signature lines in this whole thread ,if were only looking at this thread com is already DETHRONED:-D

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is no need for them to advertise their .com's in their signature since they already are prime realestate.

So your statement only proves that .com is king.

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ooops ,,my mistake i thought signature lines were for your best names not worst ones.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is vAmerica.us nd were.us your best domains? I doubt it.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by zouzas
ooops ,,my mistake i thought signature lines were for your best names not worst ones.

believe it or not :) , I have some pretty solid .coms, but I wouldn't put my best ones here, I would target the end users.

I would try to sell a domain here that I cant reach its target market, in the hope that someone else can.

And yes, I put a good name in my sig (I hope), but the best? no.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All you have to do is look at the sales prices. .com is now clearly the champion. It is highly unlikely that it will ever be dethroned. My principle business is at www.hiosilver.com . I don't even care who, if anyone, buys the .net, or .us or .de. This is not an online business.

A lot of people settle for a .net or .biz or a ccTLD because that is what is available. When they succeed, most want the .com, if they can get it. I have sold .com and .net names to German companies that have been operating for some time under their .de. They KNOW that without the .com, they are losing traffic.

Had I not been able to get PPCIncome.com, I would have settled for the .net or whatever, but I would always be looking for a chance to get the .com. I have it, so I really don't care about the other extensions.

Pick up a US airline magazine the next time you fly. Check out the ads. How many have domain names? How many have .com domain names? How many have .US domain names? .net? etc. These are real companies with a real need for the best domain they can get. Clearly, if a business in Germany wants to focus on Germany, they can do fine (maybe better) with the .de. However, as soon as they want to get US business (or possibly even other countries), they will try to acquire the .com.

Anyone thinking that .us or .de or .biz or whatever will dethrone .com is just doing wishfull thinking because they own "better" domains in these other TLD's.

With so many alternatives, of course the .com slice of the pie will keep shrinking as a %. The more alternatives there are, the more confusion and the more valuable .com becomes. This is a big part of the absurdity of those advocating lots of new TLD's. With so many country codes, ICANN should forget about new generic TLD's.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have to admit what hiOsilver does not make me feel 'good'.
But it is reality.

Once again, the truth has been spoken.
In the very very long run, other TLDs will get some value. Until then...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom