Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

how many $10,000 plus domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam5605

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How many domains that are "english 1 words and that are worth more than $10,000 plus ($10,00 plus to domainers and resellers) do you think exist?

Any guesses?

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought you include 2 , 3 words domains.

One word domain, I think around 60,000 for all .com, org, .net , info and other extensions.

Last edited:

democrat

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
you ask weird questions, Adam..

Bionic

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
there's only 20K dictionary words, most are obscure.

I'd say about 2000 are worth $10K or more.

EDIT: some dictionaries state 70K words, but most people's vocabulary is only about 5,000 words.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

EDIT: some dictionaries state 70K words, but most people's vocabulary is only about 5,000 words.
Okay, what is the average vocabulary of DNF members?

Back on track, we have to assume and take into account every 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 letter word to start.

Also, I had a list at one time of the most common 100,000 english words.

You can imagine how obscure some of those words actually were.

This list included a large look at legal and medical terms.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is anyone taking into account Geo's as well?

victornumber

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
is that included in the dictionary? :D (actually it depends).

democrat

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

I think that the vocabulary of one is more than 5,000 but then it's in a relative mode I guess.

nameadvertising.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How many domains that are "english 1 words and that are worth more than $10,000 plus ($10,00 plus to domainers and resellers) do you think exist?

Any guesses?

All the one word domains which sold for $10,000 or more. Add them up.

Those many!

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Worth $10k to who? Everything's relative - I see many names sold for 5 figures that I wouldn't pay a grand for - and an item (domain name or anything else) is always worth more to the buyer than the seller.

Mind

Rainmaker
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is very interesting question and I will try to figure it in the future. Meanwhile...some quantitative answer. This is extract from the statistics I collected over the English words in Wikipedia ranked by frequency (quote from one of my blog posts):

• Rank(1-50) Count(86M-3M) Examples(the, of, and, in, to, a, is) Words that are stop words.
  • Rank(51-3K) Count(2.4M-56K) Examples(university, January, tea, sharp) Words form the "core" of the English dictionary -- words that are most frequently used.
  • Rank(3K-200K) Count(56K-118) Examples(officiates, polytonality, neoligism) Words that can be found in some large and comprehensive dictionaries (above rank 50K are mostly Long Tail words)
  • Rank(200K-5.8M) Count(117-1) Examples(euprosthenops, eurotrochilus, lokottaravada) Terms from obscure niches, misspelled words, transliterated words from other languages, new words and "not words at all"
My guess is that 3K core words + some of the words in 50K rank are worth > $10K
So, let say: 3K + 50k/2 ~ 28K (just for English domain names)

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My guess would be around 5K domains

TooManyDomains

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
5k is a good guess if not less for resellers buying 1 word English words. Name has to be really good to get that in auction.

If you start including proper nouns like Philadelphia, Egyptian or Stacy the number goes up.

exponent

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would say between 3k and 5.5k

incka

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think people are being too optimistic. 3k commonly used words include words worth less than $10k as they have no or little commercial meaning. Often these will be past tense verbs, adjectives, adverbs, etc. I doubt commonly used words like gracefully.com or even words like softwood.com are worth $10k in the reseller market. I'd say there would be around 1000 english language words that would sell for $10k or more.

Mind

Rainmaker
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think people are being too optimistic. 3k commonly used words include words worth less than $10k as they have no or little commercial meaning. Often these will be past tense verbs, adjectives, adverbs, etc. I doubt commonly used words like gracefully.com or even words like softwood.com are worth $10k in the reseller market. I'd say there would be around 1000 english language words that would sell for $10k or more.

I do not know where you get that "gracefully" and "softwood" are in the first 3000?
They are in 54K and 86K rank in my stats and 23K and 54K in BNC words list.
I either do not know the second one :smilewinkgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom