Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How many years can you register a name up to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mole

I've been bringing my top .info and .biz names up to 2012. Does anyone know if this can be brought up to, say, 2020? By then, the internet as we know it would have died, but then, hey I like freehold :D

Any clues will be much appreciated.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Enom seems to allow an extra 9 years on a 1 year registration, indicating that the max is 10. As I didn't want to do that I don't know if it would have allowed a further 10 afterwards but somehow I doubt it.

M

mole

Thanks web. Let me give it a try shortly. They will refund me if it doesn't pull through. I learnt it from .CN when all I could register up to was 2008. My money was refunded into my reseller account.

I'm starting from 2012 for .com and .info/.biz, so maybe its a question of your start point. We'll see :eek:

M

mole

heh, yes. You can only register 10 years ahead of your current registration year. The record is 2013.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
10 years mole.

TheWatcher.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've never tried it, but what if you renewed your domain for 10years, then a while later, renewed it again for another 10?. Just keep doing that and see how far you can go! :D

RMF

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's count on total number of years, that is 10 years.

tw

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I remember seeing a while ago
(about 3 or 4 years) that you could register a domain up to 100 years.

This may not have been a TLD, so I could be mistaken, but definitely some domains can be registered to 100 years.

Doubt if domains would be used in the same way in 50 years let alone 100 years!

Then again, domains have been in use since the 70s and 80s (the first commercial ones we know of course being registered in 1985 - thats almost 20 years ago.)
No doubt there'll be a special celebration in 2005!
"20 years of dot com!"

M

mole

Thanks guys.

I've confirmed it is 10 years as stated by TheWatcher. Just renew one of your eNom names to 2012 and then try to renew again. It only shows the option to add on one additional year. That makes it 2013 max for .com, .net, .org, info. biz, .us so far as I can tell. I'm not going for 2013 thank you. Looks unlucky :dead:

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
10 years is the Max. a name could be registered for.

During LR-2 I got three names thru Internetters. Later, two went thru the transfer process (to eNom) but one (Bowling.info) won't. Initially no one could figure out why it won't go thru transfer but then after much back and forth correspondence I found out the reason: it's registered till July of 2012 and the earliest I'd be able to transfer it will be in 7/03 since it can't have more than 10 years of registration period.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mole,
Why would you want to go out that far? If you look back 5 yrs, you will see that the registration fees were higher than what we are paying today.

I can understand if you are trying to protect an extremely valuable domain like USA.com or BillGates.com . If you go to sell it, the value would/could be calculated into its value.

M

mole

Originally posted by actnow
Mole,
Why would you want to go out that far? If you look back 5 yrs, you will see that the registration fees were higher than what we are paying today.

I can understand if you are trying to protect an extremely valuable domain like USA.com or BillGates.com . If you go to sell it, the value would/could be calculated into its value.

Peace of mind, act :cool:

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Did gregr got billgates.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom