Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

How to look up all domains of one person

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Only if you have parsed the whois output for all the zone files. No, in other words.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If there are 35 million .com. That is a lot of checking.

Plus, in my case I have a number of different email addresses that I use.

As you know, you can also check by server name.
But, that is very inaccurate because many people use Sedo, Fab, DomainSponsor, etc.

Plus, I am surprised how many people use the actual domain name you are looking up
as their admin. contact address. (for example, looking up ABC.com and the admin
might be [email protected].)

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Give me the Registrant name used in the whois.

ultra1

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you willing to pay or are you just looking for something that is free?

Together

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ultra1 said:
Are you willing to pay or are you just looking for something that is free?
I would pay for such a resource particularly desktop run software that would spit out lists of domain names that share whois info.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Impossible, unless you have a very large database of parsed whois output over a long period of time, say 24 months to make it meaningful. Like I have :)

nicorlino

I BUY TRAFFIC NAMES!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would be willing to pay. Mind if you send me a pm with the rate you would be charging?

Best Regards
Nico

jlc

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's probably just a matter of time before one tf the large registers puts this on their to do list.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
calandrajl said:
It's probably just a matter of time before one tf the large registers puts this on their to do list.

Just one registrar isn't anywhere near enough. There's no 'one-stop' source for this info. There are about 120 registrars for .coms and they don't share ownership or whois info between themselves.

nicorlino said:
I would be willing to pay. Mind if you send me a pm with the rate you would be charging?

Best Regards
Nico

Hi Nico,

Haven't thought about it actually in this context. I have been mining it for nearly ten years now for a demographics project. I only keep two years' worth at any one time.

jlc

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When you type in a domain name at "whois" doesn't it tell you who and where it is registered. No matter where? Network Solutions is in charge of all the .com's. Couldn't they create a data base by owner?

nicorlino

I BUY TRAFFIC NAMES!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello Azooza,

just think about how much you would charge for one query.

Best Regards
Nico

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are different types of whois servers. Some are 'referrers', which will refer the query onward to another registrar if it's not their domain (like Netsol do) and some are not referrers, in which case they will just tell you 'not found'. The top level whois servers can be queried to find out who the registrar is for a domain name. This 'top level' whois server will accept a query on port 43: http://rs.internic.net, but NOT via a browser. You'll need a proper Linux or Win32 command line client. I wrote one myself for Win32 so that's what I use for casual use and I use a Linux scripting method for more intensive querying.

Network Solutions are not 'in charge' of all the .coms, but they are responsible (Verisign) for the zone files which contain all the DNS entries for .com/.net/.mil/.edu but note that whois information is NOT part of their assets -- these are owned by the individual registrars who 'sell' the domain.

If you compare zone files twice per day and submit differences to top level whois queries, you can start to understand how name 'snaps' work.

Get yourself a command line whois client and I'll give you some more examples.

Regards!

ultra1

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
aZooZa said:
Get yourself a command line whois client and I'll give you some more examples.

Regards!

Ok, for those that want to play along, you can get a command line client at
http://nameanswers.com/tools/jwhois/jwhois.zip

This is in java so should work for Win32, Unix, Linux, VMS, OS/2 , and Mac.
On win32 is also should work with the jview version of java (microsoft's)

Together said:
I would pay for such a resource particularly desktop run software that would spit out lists of domain names that share whois info.

A desktop version would be problematic, as that would mean you would also need to download the db and either build and/or download the indexies.

What advantages would it have over a client server version?

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. Was the original request for access to all domain names owned by one person/company?

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nniguy said:
Hi,

How can I look up what one person (by email address ex. [email protected]) has for domain names.

Thanks everyone.

If you are willing to pay the price, do what the lawyers do. You can get this information from Dialog (www.dialog.com), including historical information.

Some of the newer registries offer this kind of search for the TLD's they
manage.

Even if you could run a whois on every domain name in the zone files, you would miss a bunch of domain names, because those that are inactive are not in there. And there are a LOT of inactive domain names (not just expired names). You can buy the whois data in bulk from the registries, but it ain't cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom