Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

How to look up all domains of one person

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
aZooZa said:
Just one registrar isn't anywhere near enough. There's no 'one-stop' source for this info. There are about 120 registrars for .coms and they don't share ownership or whois info between themselves.

Hi Nico,

Haven't thought about it actually in this context. I have been mining it for nearly ten years now for a demographics project. I only keep two years' worth at any one time.

The good news is that most of them sell yearly access to their complete
whois DB for just $10,000. Times that by 120 registrars and we get some
funky numbers.

Of course, there are ways around it, provided you have a LOT of time
and resources.

Peace,
Luc L.

RottenPug

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
do the network solution handles still work, thats how they use to do it,

but you wont find me, i am opted out of all public databases via request as anyone else can as well

RottenPug

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
no but then again, im not rottenpug, just his friend :p

RottenPug

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
its the public global database...... in which case has all who do not opt out are in.

Sure you can still always look up a domain, but it won't be in the public database.
the public databse is mostly where you get your info ripped from spammers

peekaboo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
on a related note, does anyone know how can i find out who is the owner of a certain vanity 1800 number?

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
chatcher said:
If you are willing to pay the price, do what the lawyers do. You can get this information from Dialog (www.dialog.com), including historical information.

Some of the newer registries offer this kind of search for the TLD's they
manage.

Even if you could run a whois on every domain name in the zone files, you would miss a bunch of domain names, because those that are inactive are not in there. And there are a LOT of inactive domain names (not just expired names). You can buy the whois data in bulk from the registries, but it ain't cheap.

"Dialog" - where? What product/URL?

"Newer registries" - an example please?

You can find all the inactive domains using comparative zone files on a time basis.

Not all registries sell their whois data. The very few that do (including Netsol) promise the earth but don't deliver. You don't get ALL the data from e.g. Netsol. They 'pick and chose' what they send you, and for example, they don't give out email addresses. Send the $10,000 and see what you get. Netsol represent a SMALL % of current registrations anyway. Hardly surprising given their prices.

Anyway, the original question addressed a requirement to find all domains owned by a single person. None of your suggestions will accomplish that. You have to have the COMPLETE data set.

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
aZooZa said:
"Dialog" - where? What product/URL?

You can find Dialog at www.dialog.com. If you search on "domain" I'm sure you'll find the product you need.

aZooZa said:
"Newer registries" - an example please?

For example, .us. Their whois allows you to search by registrant name. The first 75 records returned are free. More than that will cost you.

aZooZa said:
You can find all the inactive domains using comparative zone files on a time basis.

No, you can't. Some domain names are registered without name servers. They have never, and may never, appear in any zone file. Of course, if you are into brute force solutions, you could always query every TLD whois for every allowed combination of letters, numbers, and hyphens...

aZooZa said:
Anyway, the original question addressed a requirement to find all domains owned by a single person. None of your suggestions will accomplish that. You have to have the COMPLETE data set.

If you mean a person who is trying not to be found, of course that's true. For a single listed registrant name, I think the data provided by Dialog may come closest. There may be other, better alternatives of which I am unaware.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
chatcher said:
You can find Dialog at www.dialog.com. If you search on "domain" I'm sure you'll find the product you need.

For example, .us. Their whois allows you to search by registrant name. The first 75 records returned are free. More than that will cost you.

No, you can't. Some domain names are registered without name servers. They have never, and may never, appear in any zone file. Of course, if you are into brute force solutions, you could always query every TLD whois for every allowed combination of letters, numbers, and hyphens...

If you mean a person who is trying not to be found, of course that's true. For a single listed registrant name, I think the data provided by Dialog may come closest. There may be other, better alternatives of which I am unaware.

http://library.dialog.com/bluesheets/html/bl0225.html#RT -- impossible to readily understand pricing and the extent of their database. What are they asking - 40c per result?

.US isn't really useful for those that will be looking for mainstream com/net but still is a step forward.

The amount of domain names registered without DNS is so minute as to be negligible in this context. Good point though.

At the end of the day, the only solution that looks to be a possiblity is the http://library.dialog.com/bluesheets/html/bl0225.html#RT one. I would hazard a guess that it's prohibitively expensive for the original poster's purposes.

The best alternative is to do what Dialog purport to do, which is what I do, but at this time, I am not making it publicly available. If anyone wants it at 40c per result, and a standing run charge of $100, please feel free to email me :bandit:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom