Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How to make profit from domain names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

domaintalk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Read this on n-a-m-e-p-r-o-s so wanted to share it with you guys.

How to really profit from domain names

Have you heard about domain names that sold for over a million dollars? Inspired by this, you imagine registering a great domain name, hanging onto it for a while, and then selling it off to become the next multi-millionaire. It could happen, but don`t count on it!

First of all, many of the truly great domain names are already taken. Second, the dot com bust took some of the wind out of inflated domain name prices. (If you sell your domain name for millions of dollars worth of stock in a publicly traded dot com flop, what is the name really worth?)

The cybersquatter buys domain names totally on speculation. Sometimes he will register names of famous brands, companies, or individuals. Time and again, these domain name speculators learn the hard way that they must respect intellectual property rights. They hope that some large corporation will pay big bucks to them for the use of the company`s own (already trademarked) name. Instead, they end up with threatening letters from a law firm for their attempts at extortion.

However, you can still make money from domain names if you are sensible in your approach. Here are some suggestions on ways to profit.

1. Affiliate Programs: Use your domain name to promote an appropriate affiliate program. Either redirect to the affiliate site or write a review that links to them.

2. Informational Sites: Create content and then profit from it by earning advertising revenue through Google AdSense or a similar program.

3. Redirect to Your Own Site: Some reasons you might want to do this include preventing competitors from using a particular domain name and benefiting from searches some users perform by domain name. (For example, if they wanted to order flowers, they might just type "flowers.com" in their web browser. You could get some traffic and sales this way.)

4. Product Sites: Create your own or sell someone else`s product appropriate to your domain name.

5. Park Your Domain Names: You might feel that your name has real potential for resale value. There are companies that will allow you to park your domain on their servers, advertise that your name is for sale, and split advertising revenue with you.

The trick is to generate traffic for your domain name. That traffic in turn will create revenue. Then, when you go to sell your domain name, you will have a few things going for you.

First, you will have a fully developed website. A fully constructed building on a piece of land increases the value of the real estate property. Similarly, the value of your domain name is enhanced by a complete and operating website.

Second, you have traffic. Just as a shopping mall with no traffic results in no sales, so a website must have traffic to generate income.

Third, you have income. An income property, such as an apartment building, can be appraised on the basis of its income (as well as other factors). Similarly, the gross income, net profits and cashflow of a website have value. For example, if someone offered you $1,000 for your domain name and website when it was generating $10,000 per day in profits, you would likely laugh at him.

You really can profit from your domain name investments by adding value

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice concise article. It would be great if someone could go into detail on these issues as well.

domaintalk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Let me try explaining some of it.

Like the domains you have you can put some affliate programs like of amazon to generate some sales and profit by each sale. you get 10 % off amazon for each sale i guess.
Informational sites like tutorial site or something which has information and is valuable , those keywords pay well @ pay per click.
Then its like if you are aiming to get al ot of sales you can redirect some of your domains on that site, this may generate few sales or so on traffic.
Then its like you have to have a good name plus the name should be matching the theme so it can have proper sales.
Then its park your names on sedo or afternic and get revenue on them as they are better by getting parked rather then just lying around.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
That's so basic that one should not even be a DNF member without being aware of the basics! No wonder you read it at Name-N00b-Pros. It's a sandbox for little league wannabes.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with RADiSTAR, should be in the newbie section

domaintalk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Mate i just tried to share, nothing else.
If you want should be moved to Newbies section then.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I didn't ask for it to be moved anywhere; I simply stated my opinion on the subject. I believe the level of DNF members is higher than that of other forums.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought it would actually be a good starting point. I also assume that almost everyone at dnforum knows these basic ideas.

Maybe we could use this as a starting point and move on.

I personally am having problems analyzing my Google Adsense account. Don't know for certain which affiliate programs are the best and which are a waste of time, and which are appropriate for which types of sites. When should I sell text ads, and for how much. Traffic building & key word analysis, etc.

Instead of writing in 100 different threads, it might be apprpriate create one large thread which would deal with the topic of "Making Profit From a Web-Site". This very basic issue, which affects most web-masters doesn't seem to be approached directly and in depth very often.

Your opinions appreciated.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One thread would be way to complicated and unorganized...

That's like saying lets merge all the sub forums into DNF into one large, massive forum...

If you have a question about Adsense than ask it in the CPC section, not just in random places on the forum...

LeftRightOut

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
fab the questions to all your answers are "Whatever works for you". Just because someone else made a million buying and selling names doesn't mean you will too even if you are using the same system, the exact names they registered are no longer available, that period of the Internet is no longer here and so on. Some affiliates get screwed on deals while others get paid even within the same program. Look how many complaints came out from one thread started about sedo not counting all the beans, it all varies. A rough outline of how to do things is easy to put together and looking through the forums you will find such information, but in the end you have to find a method that works for you and that you are comfortable with.

It's also good to know people within the industry who you can shoot the breeze with and trust to some extent, ie discussing name purchases or deals without them stabbing you in the back and jumping in beforehand :-D

If you visit the other forum that shall not be named you will find a thread on how to make money using domains that still gets action from years back :eek:k:

guile

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
That's so basic that one should not even be a DNF member without being aware of the basics! No wonder you read it at Name-N00b-Pros. It's a sandbox for little league wannabes.

Is there really any reason to throw in your stupid-ass comments? Why discourage people from posting information that may be useful to some of the new people here? In fact, I am sure there are lots of DNForum users that don't know all the basics and come here to learn. I didn't see any rules that say posts must be up to the almighty Radistar's standards.

If I am correct the description for Gold Cafe says :
This is a private forum available to Gold, Platinum and Exclusive members to discuss anything you wish.

"discuss anything you wish."

I agree that the information is basic, but I could take alot more away from it than your response. If you don't have anything positive to add, why bother commenting?

all4cost

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The general fact is - that RADiSTAR had someone Crash his sales thread at the other forum - So he was in a ILL mood afterwards .... which He should be ... but he proceeded to use profanity over there in the open forum and in the chatroom as well - And so .... He got his wrist slapped a bit there today.
Probably the reason for this type post here :(

Sorry for the Intrusion ~ Just thought I'd explain the actions as I seen them ....

Thanks ~

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:

That's so true!
But I guess you have to start somewhere.

domaintalk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i agree with all those points. we are sharing our info , then why radistar has to dump in if he knows all this.

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:

I didnt know that people needed to be above "n00b" status to qualify for membership on DNF?

Everyone has to start somewhere and that website is a great place to begin

Edit: In fact I see you are trying to sell a domain or two there - diss the forums, but use them at the same time. Nice.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think you should argue about this.

domaintalk just wanted to share some information he found in another forum.
Well, the article is quite general and not going into details. But it's a good
article for people who are new to the domain business, indeed.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
all4cost said:
The general fact is - that RADiSTAR had someone Crash his sales thread at the other forum - So he was in a ILL mood afterwards .... which He should be ... but he proceeded to use profanity over there in the open forum and in the chatroom as well - And so .... He got his wrist slapped a bit there today.
Probably the reason for this type post here :(

Sorry for the Intrusion ~ Just thought I'd explain the actions as I seen them ....

Thanks ~

Not your fault all4cost, but since you chose to represent here the name-n00b-pros, which is banned as a domain here, you will be the one hearing it from me:

Name-n00b-pros is unfortunate in its huge growth to have become nothing more than a sandbox of penny-pinchers, teenager wannabes and other weirdos that have nothing better to do than to crap on other people's sales. It's indeed sad to see the growth of a community turn against itself. I was extremely disappointed to see the way that my invasion of sales rights was treated by the mods there and I am most definitely not going to be spending any more time assisting them in any way. No hard feelings towards the owner -RJ- whom I still respect. But the rest can kiss my virtual ass.

For the record, I sold the domain in minutes here, that was lowballed and crapped on by a very unprofessional member of name-n00b-pros. Upon my strong reaction to defend myself, the mods did nothing but to close the thread and force me to wait 24 hours to start a new one. I believe in democracy and such banana-republic reactions infuriate me beyond belief.

NickStagg

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I unfortunately have experienced what radistar has at that other place, the dark place, as well. Twice I have bought domains off people there only to have to chase for a refund because the domain didnt appear, and on numerous occasions have had domains "purchased" from me only for the deal to fall through due to lack of funds etc......shame really cos the people I chat to over there seem on the whole decent people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom