Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How to make profit from domain names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
also have to agree with radistar.
If a forum is free for everyone then it will bring many scammers and so on..
Even here You see some off them, but not so often.

guile

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not even registered at that other forum, so I wouldn't know, but having people bash your sales thread there is no different than what happened to this thread.

I disagree with bashing somebodies thread because you are unhappy with where the information came from. I'd like to think that this forum has the highest standards and doesn't allow for the problems you have encountered at the other place. I'd just rather see people contribute something useful if they are going to comment on a post or sale. If you feel the need to comment, atleast find 1 point you agree on and elaborate. If you don't have anything to add, then don't, no big deal.

Based on some of the responses to this thread, I know I personally might think twice before starting a well-meaning thread with only "basic" information.

domaintalk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah i agree with radistar this place is much better but we are learning too here so why if you dont have anything good to say reply then?

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with Guile, as I stated previously. The topic was making money using a web-site. There are numerous ways people make money, and the first post was very general. It would have been nice if we could of continued the discussion in the right direction.

BTW. I started another thread which I thought might have been as basic as this, asking for differences between bb's (which I am really interested in), however, the answers didn't seem so basic. I finally found better search terms, and I see it was discussed intensively on other boards.

To create higher quality posts, dnf could use ee's strategy.

FuseFX

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Come on people Chill Off Please!!!!

Star, I've been burnt at a lot of forums and I understand how you feel but ranting is not the solutions. The only solution is Just to Ignore that place and stick to the sites that make you profit. Or Register Namen00bprossucksrealhard.com and tell the story there.

And I think that the original starter of the thread was just being helpful and I really appreciate it. Not everyone is an experts in domains and sometimes these kind of basic threads help you focus your ideas (Read Rich Dad Poor Dad? What is there in that book that WSJ recommended it to rich people. Just recap of basics that'd help them focus their thoughts).

I am personally new to the whole domain game and find a recap of basics helpful.

Now I've been in marketing and advertising for last 8 years and the marketing tutorials what I'd find basic might be absolutely new and advanced for you.

So, It's really no use to Flame the other chap just because he disclosed his source which you don't like. :)

Anyway, I have always liked your cool and easy going attitude and appreciate you being a maverick in the name game BUT I most certainly did not like the kind of 'spoilt boy behavior' that you showed here.

Ok nuff ranting for me.

PS: I am not an active member at the other site and use DNforums mainly, so don't think me to be defending the other site. I am just defending the effort that the original poster of the thread put in to make the post. :)

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Quite simply, NP is for those who arent serious.

I agree with RADiSTAR and have stopped posting at NP due to the reasons he listed.

DNF is a Ferrari, while NP is a Yugo

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:
I don't agree with this.

For example, I think that some people would have trouble with the basis of paying to be a member of a forum. So that's one reason to join NP as opposed to DNF.

Another, is that they simply don't know about any other forums, and they just happened to stumble upon NP.

I happen to think NP has a great sense of community, better than most forums.

I think -RJ- and his staff did a great job with the forum.

+++++++++++++++++

Side Note to Radistar: while I know you meant no harm by the "teengar wannabees" comment, it still takes the wrong attitude due to generalization.

Anyways, as most of you know, I am 17 and I happen to take online business and domains specifically very seriously.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Someone should sticky this and post it in the noobs section so when noobs come here "I HEARD U MAKE MONEY W/ DOMAINS HOW"

We can alert them to go there :D

Otherwise nice article.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:

That's a hoot coming from the 'Pingu Slap Champion!'

:party:

LeftRightOut

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
James Names said:
That's a hoot coming from the 'Pingu Slap Champion!'

:party:

Oh that's a nice one, i'd put that in my forum sig if I had extra space :cheeky:

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pingu Slap is an awesome game...

NP is a great community, but not a great *domaining* community, there is a huge difference.

I am also 17 and take this business very seriously, NamePro-s is filled with inexperienced members who will argue anything with anyone just to cause a scene. For a good discussion now and then, NP is good, but for selling domains? No way...

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LeftRightOut said:
fab the questions to all your answers are "Whatever works for you". Just because someone else made a million buying and selling names doesn't mean you will too even if you are using the same system, the exact names they registered are no longer available, that period of the Internet is no longer here and so on. Some affiliates get screwed on deals while others get paid even within the same program. Look how many complaints came out from one thread started about sedo not counting all the beans, it all varies. A rough outline of how to do things is easy to put together and looking through the forums you will find such information, but in the end you have to find a method that works for you and that you are comfortable with.

It's also good to know people within the industry who you can shoot the breeze with and trust to some extent, ie discussing name purchases or deals without them stabbing you in the back and jumping in beforehand :-D

If you visit the other forum that shall not be named you will find a thread on how to make money using domains that still gets action from years back :eek:k:

In other words there are no rules, no marketing skills, seo, etc. I put a question like this in at ee, and got feedback. I really don't see why it can't get discussed here. If someone creates a web-site about some unknown topic, that gets little or no searches; he will get close to no traffic, on the other hand if one creates a site with very popular key words, his site will probably get listed in the millions with the same outcome. Then their is the value of key words to take into account as well.

My main issue is, how can someone evaluate future income as a factor of time & investment, or make a correct decision on what web-site has the greatest potential relating to the time-investment factor.

I really think that luck is not the main factor.

Someone just sold a network of phpbbstyles for 25k. The secret behind his success seems to be:
1. Offered valuable merchandise (skins, mods) for free,
2. Took advantage of a popular script (phpbb and others),
3. Used an excellent domain name,
4. Created text links through freely distributing skins.

I would be interested in knowing if he would of done poorer or better by selling some of his products.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I dont no every countries laws, but if you guys deal in domains in the US be careful posting your age, you might lose out on some deals, dealing in domains is not a necessatiy so a minor has a way out of a deal made/contract. people may be leary of buying a domain from someone who has a legal out. I am no lawyer just remmember my business law class in high school. any lawyers feel free to correct me

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
fatter said:
I dont no every countries laws, but if you guys deal in domains in the US be careful posting your age, you might lose out on some deals, dealing in domains is not a necessatiy so a minor has a way out of a deal made/contract. people may be leary of buying a domain from someone who has a legal out. I am no lawyer just remmember my business law class in high school. any lawyers feel free to correct me

If that's the case, the admin's should ban minors from buying/selling, and make sure all members state they are above 18 before being allowed to do so.

LeftRightOut

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
fab said:
In other words there are no rules, no marketing skills, seo, etc. I put a question like this in at ee, and got feedback. I really don't see why it can't get discussed here. If someone creates a web-site about some unknown topic, that gets little or no searches; he will get close to no traffic, on the other hand if one creates a site with very popular key words, his site will probably get listed in the millions with the same outcome. Then their is the value of key words to take into account as well.
I read the thread title as being "How to make profit from domain names?" not "How to make profit from websites?" so my response was accordingly aimed at the acquisition, monetization and selling of names in a structured manner.

While a website is a good way to increase value I don't see SEO or other methods of promotion particularly relevant to the domain name. We can take this off topic if you like and start discussing website promotions or you can start a new thread but to me this was specifically a thread about domains not about websites so I answered your question with the topic in mind.

fab said:
I would be interested in knowing if he would of done poorer or better by selling some of his products.
Have a look at the target market, people using free forum software when a better paid solution is present, that should automatically give you some idea :eek:k:

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol, I love how age always comes into this...

I can speak for myself and back Jordan (NameTower) up here as we are both teenagers and conduct business very professionally (look at our feedback). Jordan is one of the most trustworthy people on this entire forum and the fact he is 17 shouldn't change any of that. For the record, I have never lost any business directly due to my age.

ChristinaInCanada

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As someone new to domains (but with 2 sales under my belt last week) I appreciate ANY information shared on these boards. :) This place is my domain education!

Thanks,
Christina

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
fatter said:
I do business under my own corporation owned by a guardian

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
how to make profit from domain names...
hmmm.
let's assume there is a 'secret' method for doing that. Now, let's assume it was shared.
Do you not see that the sharing of this cancels the proft making???

If I knew of a way to make my car run on water (profit for me), and told the rest of the world how to do it for free, would there still be proft for me to make? No.
So, it is unrealistic to expect a direct answer.
However, observing those that you perceive as possibly making money, and silently following their lead, and by changing a few things to differentiate...
wait, I better stop, I already told you 50% of the secret on how to make a car run on water :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom