Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

I gave up!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I sold a name here on 11/08 and the buyer paid for the name.

He sent me PM and asked me to push the name to his Godaddy account.

I said the name is at Fabulous so I can either send him the code so he can transfer out or he can register an account at Fabulous and I can push the name to him.

I sent him about 10 PMs total with no reply but he is active in the forum.

I gave up as I don't have any other options.
I have been waiting 3 months and get no answer.

How much longer do I have to wait for him before I can sell the name to someone else??????? I gave up!

ninjadomain

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can you create a Godaddy account, transfer, and then give him the new Godaddy account?
Refund?
I just canceled a sale on Sedo after waiting for 2 months, they actually contacted me and negotiated too, crazy world.

Keep us updated and best of success! %%-

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can just transfer to my GD account and push to him but who pay for the transfer as this is a low end name?
Beside he has been a member here since 2007.

ninjadomain

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Know what you mean, might transfer for $2.17 if .com. Maybe create a new Fabulous account?
Perhaps send a time period that he has to claim or you will keep?

I can just transfer to my GD account and push to him but who pay for the transfer as this is a low end name?
Beside he has been a member here since 2007.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can you create a Godaddy account, transfer, and then give him the new Godaddy account?

Ya, but this ain't Sedo. I would refund if high amount so you'renot like Godaddy. If low, renew for X years to sell again or charge renewal fees if they come back and no buyer between now and X.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think you need to wait until the current domain expiry lapses... and if you renew it before they claim it, you could reclaim it... If and when they come back, you can request a renewal fee, and a fee for your time, and effort.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe create a new Fabulous account?

I vote to create a barebones account at Fabulous, push it in, then provide him the credentials and wash your hands of the matter.

It sounds like more work than was justified by the sale, but you'll have a clean conscience knowing you've done all you can reasonably be expected to do.

Win some, lose some. On a scale of bad things that happen in business, this is not so bad.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you need a lawyer to answer this Johnn... it's easy to say screw him and resell it but that domain could bring problems to someone down the line. I would not resell it until I was sure or and depending on amount of domain (use a cheap transfer code) transfer it to godaddy then push it in his account.

JMO

Good luck - keep us posted (its a strange one)

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The guy did not response to my PMs so I am not volunteer to pick an option on my own.
He is a long time member here and he should conclude the transaction in a timely basic - Not 3 months.

I can understand the options for an end user but for a 7 years old member with a dozen of trader rating!!!! Give me a break!

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ironically, I was in this same situation. I sold a name via Godaddy Auctions that was registered at Dynadot, so buyer contacts me and ask me to push the domain to his Godaddy account. I reply like, I can't do that, etc., etc., etc. so about 3+ months go by. I have contacted the buyer several times about the name, no dice. so, I say f**k it, I might as well get paid twice, nothing wrong with more money, so I should the name again.

Buyer contacts me about 6 months into the ordeal, I basically say, dude you might as well chop that up as a lost, try to go the Walmart 6 months later and tell them you paid for something but left it in the store.

Moral to the story, of course we have ethics, etc. in business, but there are also unwritten codes to this. And, I am sure, "if you pay for a domain and do not make any effort to take ownership of it in 3+ months, you might as well chop it up as a lost," is one of those unwritten codes.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ironically, I was in this same situation. I sold a name via Godaddy Auctions that was registered at Dynadot, so buyer contacts me and ask me to push the domain to his Godaddy account. I reply like, I can't do that, etc., etc., etc. so about 3+ months go by. I have contacted the buyer several times about the name, no dice. so, I say f**k it, I might as well get paid twice, nothing wrong with more money, so I should the name again.

Buyer contacts me about 6 months into the ordeal, I basically say, dude you might as well chop that up as a lost, try to go the Walmart 6 months later and tell them you paid for something but left it in the store.

Moral to the story, of course we have ethics, etc. in business, but there are also unwritten codes to this. And, I am sure, "if you pay for a domain and do not make any effort to take ownership of it in 3+ months, you might as well chop it up as a lost," is one of those unwritten codes.

Realistically you did not outline terms to when they had to claim it, since when you sold it in most cases their expiry is within the year, they still own the rights to the domain for that period. The fact there is no cost to host the domain, you are getting free parking income, the right thing to do would be to return the domain if within the current expiry year, and you have not paid any additional funds for expiry. Analogies to used products going back to Walmart make little sense.

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Realistically you did not outline terms to when they had to claim it, since when you sold it in most cases their expiry is within the year, they still own the rights to the domain for that period. The fact there is no cost to host the domain, you are getting free parking income, the right thing to do would be to return the domain if within the current expiry year, and you have not paid any additional funds for expiry. Analogies to used products going back to Walmart make little sense.

Actually within this period, I had to renew the domain, etc. I would love to see those terms outlined in GoDaddy terms of service. I mean, we are dealing with grown man here. If you pay for something and don't make effort to take ownership of it that's on you. This is not kindergarten, PRE K, daycare, nursing home, etc.

Actually the Walmart analogy makes perfect sense to me. You saying it makes no sense, makes no sense. Unless, you have your OWN personal definition of an analogy. Otherwise, according to Webster it makes perfect sense and every other English(US) dictionary on this planet.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually within this period, I had to renew the domain, etc. I would love to see those terms outlined in GoDaddy terms of service. I mean, we are dealing with grown man here. If you pay for something and don't make effort to take ownership of it that's on you. This is not kindergarten, PRE K, daycare, nursing home, etc.

Actually the Walmart analogy makes perfect sense to me. You saying it makes no sense, makes no sense. Unless, you have your OWN personal definition of an analogy. Otherwise, according to Webster it makes perfect sense and every other English(US) dictionary on this planet.

The asset you are talking about is traceable, so if you sell a a domain on Jan 1 2013, and the seller pays, but does not claim the domain until June 1 2013, you claim the rights to their asset back, as you are unable to prove it is theirs? Their registration is good until Jan 1 2014, so I would think legally you should honor your sale until then, and anything you choose to do after renew it, should reflect your business practices... This is about creating a good reputation, not burning bridges, you can choose to run your business however you like.

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The asset you are talking about is traceable, so if you sell a a domain on Jan 1 2013, and the seller pays, but does not claim the domain until June 1 2013, you claim the rights to their asset back, as you are unable to prove it is theirs? Their registration is good until Jan 1 2014, so I would think legally you should honor your sale until then, and anything you choose to do after renew it, should reflect your business practices... This is about creating a good reputation, not burning bridges, you can choose to run your business however you like.

Good points. As a man, sure I am a nice person, I will hold the name for the buyer forever since he paid.

But, when making business decisions you never let "feelings" get involved. I am not going to let a decent name drop or pay for renewals every year, because the buyer failed to respond, nor am I going to pass up on another offer within an reasonable time frame, because as far as I know this person may be dead and if you ask me 3+ months is beyond a reasonable time frame.

Good business practices are being honest, trustworthy, respectful, etc. Being stupid is not a good business practice and I would be stupid to hold a name for 6 months, renew and pass up on another offer.

But, we all have our personal opinion. I am not saying, I am right or wrong, nor am I saying you are right or wrong.

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@Johnn: have you tried finding an email address for the buyer? You can probably find domains that they own by checking DNF post history then look up the whois info. It might be worth a direct email to see if that works better.

If the buyer isn't responding I would probably send a message saying that I would be refunding the money unless I heard from them by such-and-such a date. I would rather refund the money and have the deal fall through than keep both the name and the money. Keeping both doesn't feel right to me, even though it is the buyers inaction that caused the problem.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think I may just spend some money to transfer to my GD account and push to him. It's not really worth the effort and my time to keep chasing him.
He is active and have at least 4/5 post since the transaction.

May be we will all add this statement to the sale thread:

Payment and transfer is expected in 24 hours.

domain4profits

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
very interesting ... I'd just offer a refund in case he contact you about the domain. Peace of mind :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom