Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

I have $5000 to spend on domains, should focus on registerering or buy others domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DO NOT register domains yourself just yet.
Most of them will not produce much.

$5K isn't much once you start buying.
Only buy domains that you would not mind developing it yourself.
Read thru for sale threads and see which domains sell and which don't.

But, first, ask yourself this question.
What is domaining to you?
Is it parking revenue?
Is it quick resell profit?
Is it long term investment?

Your strategy will depend on your answer.

harleyx

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DO NOT REGISTER DOMAINS. I've probabaly blown over $1,000 (a lot to me) in "junk" domains, I'm dropping them left and right now. If I knew then I would have taken my $1,000 and bought 1-2 (or 3-5) GOOD domains as opposed to over 100 junk domains. The only times you should hand register a domain is if something new is coming out (example: MT9 - search these forums) or you are 100% sure you are going to develop it.

To expand on that from a pure developers standpoint, the only time I register a domain name is AFTER I've developed a site to use the domain.

I've made the mistake of registering domains before or during initial stages of project development. Projects don't always work out, other things come up, and life will eventually blindside you with something.

I'd rather be holding a sack of $200 than a sack full of undeveloped domain names "with potential".

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I started with ALOT less..first domain I bought to resell really only cost me $300 on ebay, then I flipped it for 10k..

There is ALOT of business going on and it's easy to get sucked into it all and just spend, spend, spend..but realize that if you want to make money and not just invest in domains to hold long term then you have to buy LOW and really the only way to do that is by contacting domain owners directly OFF of the forums by looking up whois information, picking up the phone & sending polite emails with your contact info and asking if you can purchase their domain name. Be careful, trust your instincts & if it is meant to be you will make ALOT of money and have alot of fun. Also realize that Rome was not built in a day but it surely did not take long to fall, so keep that in mind when you are doing business because there WILL be bumps along the way. When you make an offer make sure to think it through first before over committing yourself, and make sure to honor your word and do the right thing 100% of the time in a deal whether it be buying or selling...if you need anything we are here to help and we are all a family. Namepros sucks btw & YES you can still register good domain names, esp. typos! ;)

Most important rule - stick to .com's (no .mobis!) focus on domains with natural traffic & good potential revenue earning ability in valuable markets like insurance, travel, crusies, flights, resorts, credit cards, banking, realestate, automotive, credit reports, legal, consumer goods, etc and you really can't go wrong..traffic is KING and you can always sell a domain with traffic & revenue as they are very liquid for (good) obvious reasons.

Last edited:

DomainBELL

DomainBELL.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi there...

Welcome to DNF...

My suggestions are:

Read every word you find at the two links below:

DNF Library

and...

DNJ

Good Luck to you...

~DomainBELL (Patricia)

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When I first got excited about domains I started hand-registering a bunch and I ended up dropping almost all of them. If the names where really that good they would have been registered by now....Don't get me wrong, if you are using tools to find unregistered names and/or staying up on new trends, you still might be able to get a few good ones, but don't go crazy.

Another mistake that I still see many newbies make is the trademarks...Stay completely away from them. You will just be wasting money and causing yourself more trouble.

Best of luck!

dominator

Corporate Design, Naming & Branding
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do not buy anything for at least one month. You cannot get all the information from (this) one thread, and obviously you need more information. Good luck!

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TordB -

There is a ton of excellent advice in this thread. Read though it again and again and memorize it all. When you think you have it memorized, go back and start reading again. I'd hate to see you lose that money you've worked hard to make.

TordB

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for all the advice here :)

TordB

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I guess I should research more before I buy domains. How does an experienced domainer research a domain? I really want to learn that.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you need to read (a lot), use the search function, trawl through old threads. Many answers to your questions are already there. In short, breathe the stuff.

jacobn

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have to commend everyone here on this thread. Specially copper and dragger, very sound advice. I am new to domaining as well and have read countless hours worth of ebooks, blogs, forums, and have found holding onto your $ until you have a real feasible business plan is your best bet. I have about 150 domains and have realized that domaining is just like any other business. You need to develop/focus on one domain at a time. You couldn't open 150 bars/restaurants at once or any other business so dont think you can with domains either...Unless you have someone to assign to each domain as a project. Cash parking is great but unless you have a premium domain with lots of type in traffic its not really the way to go. Development and branding your domain is what I have found to be the best approach if you don't have a lot of capital to put up at first. Definitely hang on to your $ and think it out...better to have 1 or 2 profitable domains rather than 200 domains that don't produce. I hope this helps...

SonnyBurnett

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I started with ALOT less..first domain I bought to resell really only cost me $300 on ebay, then I flipped it for 10k..

There is ALOT of business going on and it's easy to get sucked into it all and just spend, spend, spend..but realize that if you want to make money and not just invest in domains to hold long term then you have to buy LOW and really the only way to do that is by contacting domain owners directly OFF of the forums by looking up whois information, picking up the phone & sending polite emails with your contact info and asking if you can purchase their domain name. Be careful, trust your instincts & if it is meant to be you will make ALOT of money and have alot of fun. Also realize that Rome was not built in a day but it surely did not take long to fall, so keep that in mind when you are doing business because there WILL be bumps along the way. When you make an offer make sure to think it through first before over committing yourself, and make sure to honor your word and do the right thing 100% of the time in a deal whether it be buying or selling...if you need anything we are here to help and we are all a family. Namepros sucks btw & YES you can still register good domain names, esp. typos! ;)

Most important rule - stick to .com's (no .mobis!) focus on domains with natural traffic & good potential revenue earning ability in valuable markets like insurance, travel, crusies, flights, resorts, credit cards, banking, realestate, automotive, credit reports, legal, consumer goods, etc and you really can't go wrong..traffic is KING and you can always sell a domain with traffic & revenue as they are very liquid for (good) obvious reasons.

I agree with Focus 100%

Buy low, sell high.
Better few good names than 200 crap domains.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Better few good names than 200 crap domains.

GOSPEL! Seriously. I wish someone told me this last year or else I would not have registered domains after domain that I ended up dropping (I've dropped over 50 since their renewals started up back in February.

Only hand-register a domain that you know you will develop or that is good for a new technology that has (or will) come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom