Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

I so stupid....Ovt question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gptpark

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm finally gonna ask.

I'm not really new to domaining and have always typically reg'd or purchased domains based on my gut feeling of development potential/type ins, etc.

So can some nice person please explain what Ovt + ext means? Can you also include a link to this tool so I may check it out.

I appreciate it.

Chris Hansen
gptPark

markp1980

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I also am not aware of this....

Go one for both of us?

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
go to: http://www.inventory.overture.com

type in america as an example
type in america.com as a second example--this is ovt + ext

note: ext = extension--could be any such as .com, .net, .org, etc.
ovt. = overture

VisualDigits

The One
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what mark said is absolutely correct.

gptpark

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A small note for other newbies, you may need to remove the www from the url to get it to show results.

Grush

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As long as we are on the subject, what is considered a good score? I have a word that matches my website per letter, and it comes up with a score of 62 but when I type in the website, it say “no suggestions”. Is that a good score to have? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Grush.

guile

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
62 is the number of searches done for the keyword in your url per month - this is the OVT w/out extension value. The reason there are no results for your entire domain name, otherwise known as OVT with Extension, is because there were very few or no searches for the exact url.

This is not uncommon unless your website is extremely popular, a dictionary word .com, or a 3 letter .com. In these cases, many people are likely to make the mistake of typing the URL into the search bar rather than the Address bar which gives you the OVT W/Ext value. OVT w/ext is sometimes used to get a rough estimate of how much traffic a domain might get. Note that these values arn't always accurate and from my undstanding can be manipulated so I wouldn't base too much on them.

The best way determine how popular your particular keyword is in comparison with others, is to test out other popular keywords and compare the score.

These OVT scores are most useful if you are looking for a domain with "type in" traffic or if you are determining what keywords to use in your keyword meta tag and throughout your site. Having a good keyword in your Domain name is helpful, but by no means neccessary.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
something to go by also is how a term comes up at overture without the extension , could be one , two or three words ...example is "alternative medicine" was searched on 152,000 times last month , which would be a high score search term that you now know people are searching on often , anything 10,000 or over without extention is pretty good and these keywords are worth working with.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
with so many domainers utilizing this tool, either manually or scripted........the results are sometimes inflated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom