Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

I think I sold a good domain for way too cheap. Need advice on what to do next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
just let this be part of your learning experience

but if you don't ask for more, you'll never get it

imo...

I'm not the thread starter so I'm not really sure if this was directed at me.

I'm just saying, once you elevate your price beyond what a legal proceeding would cost the buyer you are making it a lot more tantalizing for them to bully you instead. Especially in the case of where the domain name matches the company name.

Large company = large budget?

Sure, just make certain they are sending that budget your way and not the way of their legal department and a WIPO/UDRP. Especially if the name isn't really worth anything anyway. Assuming a large company will just pay you whatever you want because they have the money is quite naive.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Computers and cars aren't unique, but domains are. I'm not talking about jacking up the price on a commodity type item that sells everywhere, but on a unique property that will help that company or individual in a business. I think the domain market is one area where you can base prices based on who is asking and what they will use the name for, which is normally information you don't have anyway.

If you were selling a domain on a forum for $100, and Microsoft called up asking to buy the domain (but they didn't know it was listed on the forum), you'd only ask the $100?

Assuming I had it listed here in the fixed prices forum (not offers wanted, not auction) and they asked me how much I'd like for the domain - I'd say $100. That's the price I'd want to sell it at.

How would you feel if someone had a domain for $100 and you wanted to buy it but since you're a domainer they said they'd only sell it to you for $500?

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, but I think most would delete their forum sale post and try to negotiate for more than the $100.

To your question, in that situation I could always say no, or maybe it's worth $500 to me and I'd pay it. If it was a sale thread still open, and I PM'd or posted 'sold', I'd expect to get the BIN price for sure. If the domain was a big part of some plans I had, maybe it wouldn't matter to me whether it's $100 or $500.

Big sales don't come along very often for most domainers, so you have to make the most of the opportunities that come your way. Knowing the identity of a potential buyer can be a big factor in your pricing. I don't think there is anything sleazy about it, they have a maximum price they are willing to pay and it's the seller's job to get it.

I would rather lose a small sale by asking too much, than sell a name for a lot less than I could have.

In my example, if you did sell the name to Microsoft for $100 and they built a popular social network on it, wouldn't you feel a little remorse? Look at the CamRoulette guy, he sold for low xxxx only to see the name sold a little later for 150k.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Someday I hope to start a thread titled, "I think I sold a bad domain for way too much." :)

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In my example, if you did sell the name to Microsoft for $100 and they built a popular social network on it, wouldn't you feel a little remorse? Look at the CamRoulette guy, he sold for low xxxx only to see the name sold a little later for 150k.

Who wouldn't? I would be frustrated with myself for not knowing the full potential of the name (but then again, how much would domains like Facebook, Google, YouTube, Wikipedia, etc.. be worth if it wasn't for the associated website?). If I have a domain that I want to sell for $100 and I can get a buyer for $100, I'd be happy. That's what you need to concern yourself with - are you happy with the sale price at the time of the sale? The OP should be happy with his 2900% (roughly) profit margin and either celebrate with it or reinvest it (or both! :D).

Most domains (in the long run) will go up in value. Some more than others. Just look at posts from 5+ years ago, even with the way values are now (in the gutter) the prices were extremely god back then compared to now - should those people now think "I should have held on to it for a few more years"?

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I can't believe what i am reading draggar. You are not going to do well in this business if you don't take the information you have about who is inquiring and use it to your advantage. If your intent is really to sell a domain name for a specific amount no matter who comes along... you will not succeed.

At least i know i wouldn't !!! This is why i mentioned previously in this thread that i never list names at godaddy, sedo etc with fixed prices.

bgmv

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Someday I hope to start a thread titled, "I think I sold a bad domain for way too much." :)

haha - me too!

to the OP - you sold it = end of story...for the future dont list your domains with a fixed price as investor said

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by biggedon
just let this be part of your learning experience

but if you don't ask for more, you'll never get it

imo... [/quote]

I'm not the thread starter so I'm not really sure if this was directed at me.

I'm just saying, once you elevate your price beyond what a legal proceeding would cost the buyer you are making it a lot more tantalizing for them to bully you instead. Especially in the case of where the domain name matches the company name.

Large company = large budget?

Sure, just make certain they are sending that budget your way and not the way of their legal department and a WIPO/UDRP. Especially if the name isn't really worth anything anyway. Assuming a large company will just pay you whatever you want because they have the money is quite naive.

Hi

no, my comment was for the OP

i was "co-signing" on your point about domainers assuming big corps will pay more, just because.

though, if one doesn't communicate the value of the domain to the buyer, then they may never visualize it's true potential.

it's why you get comments like...please justify your asking price

imo...

floname

Hopeless Domainiac
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's impossible to always know who's gonna wind up with the domain. Domainers will approach other domainers on their client's behalf to demean the value of the lead in the eyes of the seller. It may have been a broker that bought your domain and sold it to that company for a higher profit.

If it wound up with a parked page under it and eventually on a droplist, no worries, but because it's actually being used there will always be that "what if" factor every time you think about it. There are those of us who sell just a few "good" domains and those that sell a whole lot of "mid-range" domains. At the end of the day, profit is profit nonetheless. Now, just rinse and repeat... rinse & repeat..

A really good salesman told me once: "If you expect to make top dollar on every single sale, you won't make many sales."

....rinse & repeat

..rinse & repeat

Last edited:

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So basically the domain I sold was Datsons.com . The word to me was just a last name, I didn't have any idea a company was named it. So I put it up for sale for 299 on Godaddy and this company bought it. Now that I see how big the company is, I'm wondering how big of a mistake I made.

from their website
Company History:

Datsons was started in 1975 by Arun Deshpande, a fresh graduate from Wadia College. Over the last 35 years Datsons has delivered to numerous multi-national corporations, OEMs and other industries. And I would blah blaja oajflajsd ewoiut

Doesnt look prefessional

ezguy

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
acro there are companies in india which are billion dollar corporations i know a lot of .in sales going in the $100ks which is not reported any where. its all done in private.

let me give you one example

my friend in us owns karvy dot in he was offered $10k by a million dollar company in hyderabad.

Last edited:

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When you sell a name that ends up going to a nationwide hotel chain that repeatedly runs TV commercials using you're old name, then it's worse. :)

BFitz

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"You never go broke taking a profit."

This business is maturing, and like all business that means ROI will dwindle. Unless you are a person who registered domains before 2003, we should be happy taking 200-500% profit in less than one years time. No other business offers those returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom