Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

IDNs...Where You Stand on These?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bramiozo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think gtld's in general will strengthen it's position considerably with respect to cctld's when the extensions are also internationalized; idn.com = idn.idn.
cctld's are (in idn or not) then only useful to indicate the location of the market.

com=commercial=商业=коммерчески
net=.....

Since languages are not restricted by borders cctld's will remain useful but their area of application will decrease in size.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bwhhisc said:
This whole IDN thing is real simple...giving people around the world the access to the Internet in their own native language. At lease 85% of the world doesn't speak English...and with all the different scripts, Russian, Arabic, Chinese, Thai, Hindi, Greek, and 100's of others, how will people that speak NO English be expected to remember a TLD if its not in "their" language.

This is the number one reason that idns are becoming, and will become, #1 in domains for foreigners, which is 85% of the world btw.

But as you may notice, the reasons that everyone thought were valid for dismissing IDN are no longer applicable. So they keep coming up with additional asinine reasoning to support their beliefs. But none of this is going to matter when browser support hits with IE7.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bramiozo said:
I think gtld's in general will strengthen it's position considerably with respect to cctld's when the extensions are also internationalized; idn.com = idn.idn.
cctld's are (in idn or not) then only useful to indicate the location of the market.

com=commercial=商业=коммерчески
net=.....

Since languages are not restricted by borders cctld's will remain useful but their area of application will decrease in size.
Trust me i think .jp and .cn will be very valuable and at least the same value as .com due to alot of national pride..... i see alot of major chinese /japanese sites using ccltd extensions.

Bramiozo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Trust me i think .jp and .cn will be very valuable and at least the same value as .com due to alot of national pride..... i see alot of major chinese /japanese sites using ccltd extensions.
http://www.dnforum.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

I will agree with you that national pride and market location give it substantial value but .com is commercially much broader then the .cctld and the language already indicates the location more or less. If the general webpopulation agrees with you then your are right, it's a matter of economics, if idn .com's (.idn that is) receive more traffic for country specific purposes the .com's will be more valuable.
Commerce always wins from pride...eventually :bandit: .

puxa2

puxa2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

rawkinrich

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DomainNames said:
I regged some idns back in 2001. I have kept about 6 of them (example: CreditCards.com in portuguese). I get low 4 figure offers for them all the time but I'm going to hold on to them and maybe do an affiliate site or two. I also have some .com IDN related domains like idnblog.com, expiredidn/s.com idndomainnames.com, idnwebsites.com. idner/s.com and others (none for sale) and I think I will try and get a simple site up with a list of resources. I think IDN will make it in some form because people want to communicate in their own language via addressing and it's as simple as that. I do feel like others have expressed that you really do need to do some research if you don't speak or are not familiar with a particular language because its very easy to reg words that are not what you think they are. If you are new to IDN domain names, I think a very cautious approach is the way to go.

Nice post :eek:k:

puxa2

puxa2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's as simple as 123 to me
I made the platform already.
You can stick to regular dot coms all you want.
I know where my future BMW is coming from...
In the states I was making pennies in Japan I'm making serious yen...

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bramiozo said:
http://www.dnforum.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

I will agree with you that national pride and market location give it substantial value but .com is commercially much broader then the .cctld and the language already indicates the location more or less. If the general webpopulation agrees with you then your are right, it's a matter of economics, if idn .com's (.idn that is) receive more traffic for country specific purposes the .com's will be more valuable.
Commerce always wins from pride...eventually :bandit: .
lots of popular sites are using .cn or .jp

do you know how strong .ru is in russia? Most russian sites have .ru domains and not .com

.com is a U.S. thing.

Commerce doesn't mean commerce in every country ... once idn takes place ppl would rather have .china or .japan etc (IDN characters)

Bramiozo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
most russian sites need .ru to indicate that they're Russian, that need is certainly going to drop with idn's, that's basically what I am saying. I am sure cctld's will remain strong but I don't see them overpowering native .com's .

We'll see :)

puxa2

puxa2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

rawkinrich

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DomainNames said:
I made a simple site at www.IDNers.com that offers some basic IDN related information and lists some resources and tools. If anyone wants to trade an IDN or domain name related link (on domain links page) let me know.

Nice site. Loaded with keywords :)

Good luck.

puxa2

puxa2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom