Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

news If someone makes an offer on one of your domains, start a conversation

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Often times you might find yourself dead in the water after relaying your selling price to a prospective buyer that opened with a serious inquiry. It's said time and time again in sales to always follow up with a lead, which this person would be classified as.

You don't know why they didn't reply back to your counter/opening offer.

If you always take this as "not interested", then you may have domains that never sell. Sometimes, it's a straight-up rejection of your price to move on to find something else suitable. However, if you don't start a conversation, you will never know.

Morgan Linton echoed this sentiment again as it helped him sell a $3200 .vc domain that he would have otherwise gone sitting in his portfolio for longer.

Domain summit 2024

WarpedMind

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great post. I totally agree. One time I got a lowball offer for a domain... ended up talking. Turns out he was a successful domainer. He ended up inviting me to a Skype group of well-known domainers... a simple lowball offer and polite conversation led to some great networking opportunities.

It also makes for a good strategy. When I am countering, I'll usually ask a question about them, their goals, what they're looking for, etc. Sometimes, it can lead to a name I might have that's a better fit, etc., but the real value is in the fact that they don't just ghost you after a counter. They'll answer and it keeps the conversation going. Worst case scenario - your counter is too high and they don't want to make a deal... but you have an opportunity to meet someone that may turn out to be a connection you're glad you made.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the offer was low, how can convert into sell?
You could determine why it's low.

Then create a conversation around that to perhaps introduce the idea of payments.

A lot of ways it can go without ignoring them.

This, of course for me, wouldn't apply to those $10 offers, only to those that sound serious.

If you read Morgan's blog, you can see that it was quite a serious opening offer of $500, provided the given details of a .vc domain and not a 1-word premium .com.

I guess you just have to determine what is a serious offer and attempt to create a conversation to hopefully end in a mutually beneficial deal.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree but sometimes people are all business oriented and just want to know a price.
Often times you might find yourself dead in the water after relaying your selling price to a prospective buyer that opened with a serious inquiry. It's said time and time again in sales to always follow up with a lead, which this person would be classified as.

You don't know why they didn't reply back to your counter/opening offer.

If you always take this as "not interested", then you may have domains that never sell. Sometimes, it's a straight-up rejection of your price to move on to find something else suitable. However, if you don't start a conversation, you will never know.

Morgan Linton echoed this sentiment again as it helped him sell a $3200 .vc domain that he would have otherwise gone sitting in his portfolio for longer.

WarpedMind

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
True. But I think the point is: try. You're right... some will just say "Just tell me the price. I don't have time for this". You don't care about that guy. But it's that one guy out of ten where you'll strike up a conversation... then it leads somewhere. A friendship, a lead, a guy who knows a guy, etc.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
True. But I think the point is: try. You're right... some will just say "Just tell me the price. I don't have time for this". You don't care about that guy. But it's that one guy out of ten where you'll strike up a conversation... then it leads somewhere. A friendship, a lead, a guy who knows a guy, etc.

True Tom. This is how sales works.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

True Tom. This is how sales works.
I'd more than likely disengage with a person that seemingly has an attitude about it. Yes, they're genuinely interested in it. However, if they're acting like that in the beginning, I know I'm in for a headache during the entire process.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators