Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

If you have to explain the domain it will never sell (4 what u want)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 73132

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They can be funny but actually lugubrious the posts of
domain sales where the poster either goes in great lengths describing what the name means or uses great hyperbole (e.g., abchelloworldxyz.com is the greatest social networlk name.. has the beginning and end of the alphabet PLS say hello to everyone) on names that make no sense.
I must admit only one time I bought a domain from such over pitch but the funny and most true part is.. I bought for something else than the seller hyped.
The domain will sell itself.. needs no hype. Hype means it probably is terrible and the buyer will run after the first 2 lines of pitch.

In a nutshell, does anyone get the same feeling.. when there is alot of hype when one sells a domain to just turn and run..that it probably sucks?

And also, if the seller says the domain is the best for something the buyer likes it for.. the buyer won't feel like he's getting a bargain.

Last edited:

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
+1 LzeDg.com - It means Lazy Dog. Great Blog name or even web 3.0 brandable clothing site.

Deleted member 73132

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I guess you want One billion billion dollars then? I can see the potential! :)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
gfckyrslf.com is great also :D

Deleted member 73132

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That domain has sooo many implications..
It is so honest also.. so pure.. letting one tell it like it is..
I think EVERYONE types that in at least once a day (maybe alot more when the boss is near at work).
It's priceless.
Just imagine if it had vowels???

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I think "y" qualifies as a vowel - for the record, I don't own the domain.

Deleted member 73132

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was going to offer Bush and Qafadi's estates for it especially if "y" is a vowel.
That is weird.. I remember "y" can be a vowel and a tomato can be a fruit.
I think those 2 mysteries are bigger things to fathom than "dark energy". Maybe there is a linkage. Physicists please note.
I have to write a gfckyrslf letter to a few congressmen tomorrow.. forgot about the "Bob Parsons Project" one too :)

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
gfckyrslf.com is great also

The sad part is that it is very readable! Acro, you have only yourself to blame if this thing proves to be your most inspired domain name ever! (No, I didn't register it either but if I did, $350K to talk.)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In a nutshell, does anyone get the same feeling.. when there is alot of hype when one sells a domain to just turn and run..that it probably sucks?
Yes :)

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's something I've realized in sales. A good product does not need a salesman. It will sell itself. A salesman only serves two purposes; getting in in front of potential buyers, and explaining what is not readily obvious.

In the case of a domain name, the purpose is clear. I remember in my early days of domaining I spent much (too much?) time preparing pitches to explain why it would do an end user any good. Now I know that the very fact that the name needs to be explained is a sign that the name is unlikely to sell.

JB Lions

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Have to disagree with some of what is being said.

"A good product does not need a salesman. It will sell itself. A salesman only serves two purposes; getting in in front of potential buyers, and explaining what is not readily obvious."

True the first part, not so much the latter in many cases. Sometimes there are great products that the person might not know they want or need, until you tell them why it's so great, bring it to their attention. That's part of sales too.

You can't be an expert or know everything. There's literally millions of possibilities for domains, keywords etc. You might have knowledge of why so and so is great and you can sell it if you can get that across to a potential buyer.

That goes with domains as well. Touched on this a bit elsewhere that I thought some domainers who have sites to sell their domains could do a little better in the marketing department. Most just have domain.com, price and not much more. You can do related sales, search volume, background, much more.

You might have some great generics and there are a lot of merchants out there that don't know the benefit of owning a generic alongside their brandname site. So you sell them on it. That's part of sales.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sometimes there are great products that the person might not know they want or need, until you tell them why it's so great, bring it to their attention. That's part of sales too.

Very true that the products exist, but we're talking about cold approaches here. It's my experience that it's absolutely impossible to convince somebody who doesn't understand the value of a great domain name. The key is bringing it to the attention of the right person. So many receptionists think I'm trying to sell web hosting.

"What's a domain name?", "We already have a domain name!", are some examples of common refusals which have impeded my ability to speak to the right person.

That goes with domains as well. Touched on this a bit elsewhere that I thought some domainers who have sites to sell their domains could do a little better in the marketing department. Most just have domain.com, price and not much more. You can do related sales, search volume, background, much more.

Oh, they definitely could improve on their marketing tactics. A simple email stating "Hello, example.com is for sale $300." portrays a very unprofessional image and can hurt the chances of landing a sale.

The traffic stats and such are also great selling features. Like I say in my signature, "women lie, men lie, numbers don't lie". That, again, sells itself. You're presenting facts, rather than attempting to persuade. Telling them that "This name can improve your search engine rankings, and keeps it out of the competition's hands, etc." is distracting from the name itself.

Anybody who knows what in the heck a domain name is and how it can benefit them will see it right away. Of course, this is just my opinion, but I've done so many end user calls and I know that people who only have a website because they paid a web designer to set it up and ignores everything else themselves is an impossible sell.

Deleted member 73132

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is the "beauty in the eye of the beholder" / "supply and demand" basic economics.
I've sold domains that actually I was going to let expire (because I saw no use in them) on SEDO for the $500-$1000 range and had tried selling on here them starting first round at $15 on here and even at $10 no one would buy them. It is just marketing and getting them exposed to as many active buying audiences and LET THE DICE ROLL.

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I just want to know what the heck lugubrious means?:)

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you were selling Jewellery(DOT)com, it might help to mention that it is the UK spelling. If you are selling Gujarat(dot)com you might have to explain that it's a really populous place in India.

Also to buyers, if you have to explain why you are making a lowball offer, then it's probably not going to be accepted. lol

onehappyisland

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MYCAMPAIGNWORKS.COM is one of the ebst amrketing campaign names in town and its for sale for xxx-x,xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom