Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

iMicrosoft.com - TM violation or not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Members ,

This question is to all of you, especially TM attorneys . If someone registers name like iMicrosoft.com , iFord.com , iPepsi.com etc and tries to sell it for profit , will it be considered as violation of TM ?

Thanks. :)

thinkaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes. It would be registered in bad faith, which would deem it a violation of TM.

Restecpa

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Unless you can prove that by iMicrosoft youve actually meant iMicroSoft as in: mine is micro and soft :D

Ari Goldberger

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Unless you have a "fair use" defense, this would arguable violate the Federal Trademark Dilution Act as well as, possibly, the UDRP. A fair use defense could be either:

1) Authorized reselling of the trademark owner's products or services;

or

2) Criticism of the trademark owner.

But, I would stay away from famous, coined trademarks -- the kind that are pretty much associated with just one party. You're just looking for a fight.

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for your inputs.

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Ari, what would be the case if one registered Micro2Soft.com and sold ties and socks?

Ari Goldberger

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
>Ari, what would be the case if one registered Micro2Soft.com and sold ties and socks?

Forgive my slightly cranky response.

First, answer the question as to why you would want to bother doing this in the first place?

Now, I'm not saying that the tie and sock shop is illegitimate, as I would need to hear more -- and I understand this is just a hypo. But, generally speaking... I think we, as a domain name community, can advance our cause by not always looking at how we can be clever and beat the "man" (the man being the trademark owner).. It's not like the trademark owners as a group is this evil empire to defeat. Companies with famous, distinctive marks that they have spent millions of dollars nurturing have a valid interest in protecting their brands. If you really want to criticize a company (Microsoftsucks.com) or need to use the mark to sell a bona fide product (Elvislookalikecostumers.com),that's cool.. But just figuring out ways to stick our tongues out at the trademark owners is a waste of valuable time in my opinion.

Every domain name owner is not a victim. Sometimes the trademark owner is right. But, when we're dealing with a descriptive or common word mark, I'll be the first in line to defend your rights to ownership against a reverse domain name hijacking trademark owner.

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Ari well-said. Forgive the rather naive example; my intention was to see where I stand in a similar case where I am the tm owner and I'm challenging the applicant. I emailed John on the subject (with details) but I understand that he's busy or unable to comment. My related thread was this one.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Along this line of thought. Usually, I use a bookmark. But, earlier today I typed in paypal.com

However, I accidently put an "s" on the end. I was shocked. That I got a different company. I was also surprised that PayPal (Ebay) hasn't gone after them.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Along this line of thought. Usually, I use a bookmark. But, earlier today I typed in paypal.com

However, I accidently put an "s" on the end. I was shocked. That I got a different company. I was also surprised that PayPal (Ebay) hasn't gone after them.
+++++++++++++++++

1. This is a potential security risk for PayPal.

2. The entity that owns the domain PayPals.com (MrsJello, LLC in the WhoIs) appears to be cybersquatting on a famous registered trademark.

This sort of cybersquatting indirectly hurts us all. Large corporations and the courts use this sort of flagrant blatant abuse to justify their overreaching in other cases, and to beat down small entities that legitimately own generic domains. Cybersquatting hurts us because it brings the heat down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom