Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Inception, Advertising and Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The movie Inception got me thinking about advertising. I know nothing about advertising. But it seems advertising works a lot better when you make the customer/client believe that the idea to purchase wasn't yours but his/hers.

In the film, Leo is hired along with his team to plant an idea into the mind of a business man who runs a global energy company. Planting this idea can only be done indirectly. The suggestion here as in the real world is simple. When people believe ideas are theirs you'll have very minimal objections as you try to appeal to their wants.

The world of domains is one where inception could play a very big role. I've seen a lot of great domains put up for sale on this forum. But they don't get much attention. Why? It can't just be because resellers are a tougher bunch to sell to. Resellers aren't regular everyday endusers. True. But that also means they can't be approached the same way, not unless you have hot property.

Let's try a little exercise. What if I told you I have longtail 3 word domain. The domain is one of those "cyber" security domains. If you type "cyber" + space + "right character" in Google's engine, you'll get search suggestions and the longtail 3 word is one of them. Now this 3 word subject has become a relevant topic at IT security conferences this year. During the last 3 months the US and participating NATO countries launched several online security tests so that they don't have to get to the point when they have to implement 3 word. Stop.

I could have just posted the domain in the for sales section. But it wouldn't have gotten any attention. What if I told you that I'll accept the best offer you can make for this domain? I won't negotiate, I'll just accept your offer as long as it ain't reg fee. Would you be interested in knowing what the domain is?

Now let me challenge your interest in this domain. The domain was regged this year and gets less than 30 searches a month at Google. If you are not looking for low traffic domains or domains less than 5 years old, your interest probably ends here. Now if you are still somewhat curious about the domain regardless of whether you care to own it, then my friend an idea was successfully planted. What you do with that idea is entirely your business. That is inception.

There are so many ways to advertise while implementing inception tactics: tell a story, use something people pay attention to under any circumstance, tell them its only available for a very short time, tell them you can't get it here but you can get it abroad, buy one get one free etc Sounds easy to do. Not as easy. That's why the people who know how to do it well, do well. The Etrade commercials are brilliant. And so are Godaddy's.

Consider Etrade's slogan: A Thousand New Accounts A Day. I don't know if they use it anymore but it's brilliant (if it's true). The idea here isn't the claim. The idea they hope you get is: Well everyone is investing, why aren't you?

Consider a domainer who has sold several domains for $XXXX or $XX,XXX. Most are shy about disclosing that type of information. For domain or personal security concerns that's understandable. But at the same time it is also the single, best and cost-free way to advertise yourself. Your domain sales information communicates to end users and your peers that you know what you are doing. An end user soon decides he wants to do business with you. The next thing you know endusers start asking if you can acquire domains for them. And you ain't even a broker. Your peers don't dare sell without consulting with you. To them you are a pro. In reality, you think you may have just been lucky to sell for that much. That's how inception works.

Of course inception has its drawbacks. A planted idea may generate a contrary one. What matters is how many positive ideas are created from the one planted.

What's your domaining inception strategy? (like you are going to tell if you have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom