Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

.info continues its steady decline

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tee

"It doesn't need to continue declining - even if it stays at 650 reges a day you're still got no worthwhile momentum."

And your proof of staying at 650 (which it won't, it will grow) reges meaning not worthwhile momentum is where?

What daily level of registrations are necessary for momentum to occur?

Domain Summit 2024

And your proof it will grow is where?

Circular argument - I'm happy to stick to cold hard facts if you like.

654 per day averaged over the last 6 days or 354 yesterday.

T

Tee

So, .com lost 2 mil plus and .info is growing, approaching half of what .org has, in a tiny fraction of the time.

Exactly. Glad we cleared that up.

Originally posted by Tee
So, .com lost 2 mil plus and .info is growing, approaching half of what .org has, in a tiny fraction of the time.

Exactly. Glad we cleared that up.

ok then just chose that statistic that suits you best and make an argument on that :)

T

Tee

Care to wager on info sale in october?

Nothing serious - a domain name registration (or we can be more serious) . I say info sales climb. At least 600 daily and going up averaged over the 4 weeks.

Again the facts are .com is losing millions of registrations.

Again, a resale or two, and the jig is up.

Sure, how about making it charitable, with the money going to the charity of the others choosing?

How does $50 that .info reg volume averaged over the 4 weeks of october will be less than 600 per day sound?

T

Tee

.Org is a very successful non commercial tld. I see more ads for org everywhere I go than I do for .com. The thing was, its a limited use tld (as implied by relevance of extension) , and with the exception of engineering.org, which some have doubted as being legit, there were not many spectacular resales.

Its the resales that fueled the .com registration frenzy. Look at the explosive growth and high profile sales. Most of the 21 millions names are crap and will fall in time.

Info can duplicate the speculator growth because unlike org, which is a great extension, info is not only more relevant than the internet itself, it is extremely versatile, and a general tld. Org has no restrictions perse, but it quickly became associated with non profit organizations and is actually used in such a way. The difference however between .com and .info is that info makes more sense. And it is all about sense in the final analyisis, as no doubt many a .com speculator and developer has learned the hard way.

you see more ads for .org's than .com's? do you only go to charity trade shows or something? :)

T

Tee

How about we make it it that .info shows an average positive growth for October? My only concern is an attack on Iraq or the end of the world may dent it all and then I'll lose.

How about a gentlemans bet?

Loser has to apologize on the forum in a separate thread stating that he was wrong and the other person may have a valid point.

T

Tee

Are you kidding? Ads involving .orgs are everywhere. Most of the ads on the subway here are for .orgs. Mostly public service messages and foundations and charities (and mta.info). Can't watch some of the highest rated news programs without getting bombarded with .org. Actually, come to think of it, I don't see many ads for .com anymore.

I guess venture capital and .com just don't mix.

.Com. What a disaster.

T

Tee

Granted, maybe its just because I'm in NY that I see so many .org advertisements.

But .org, in general, is being used the way its supposed to be.

.Com is just huge greedy bloat. Its just bad news.

:laugh:

gentlemens bet is fine.

if there is some outside factor that interferes with this we can just postpone it to another month.

I'd prefer to do it based on the 600 per day, as there are still 3 weeks in which it could tank much further - lets set the bet in stone at the end of september.

Anyone else out there see more .org's than .com's?

For me, tv, newspapers, posters, vans etc I see .com's aplenty - and I live in the uk where we also have .co.uk.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SedoCoUk

Here are some of Sedo's recent .info sales values, for those who are interested:

(Confidential 3-letter acronym).info: 11,600 euros
Oase.info ("oasis"): 6000 euros
Videos.info: 4000 euros
Beach.info: 2650 euros
basel.info: 2500 euros
angst.info: 1200 euros
... and many others of lesser value.

Cheers,
~Matthew
Sedo.co.uk

Thanks for the interesting data Matthew. I seem to recall a couple months ago some folks were saying that there are no .INFO sales. That has changed. I now have three sources of data indicating .INFO values in the several thousands of dollars:
(1) Directi bid list; (2) personal communication with sellers; and (3) this data from Sedo.

Also, a couple months ago some folks were saying that there were virtually no good working .INFO sites. That has changed. That was the main purpose of my study on working .INFO sites (to document that there are some and what categories they are). Now people are discussing what percentage of .INFO sites are working (my report did not estimate that). I reviewed a couple thousand sites manually and was not willing to tackle 900,000! Interesting, albeit small sample, data from thewitt concerning higher percentage of new .INFO registrations being used than new .COM registrations.

I think that stats concerning growth in working websites and secondary-market domain sales are more predictive of long-term extension success than registrations. Extensions can have growth in registrations without underlying value and then burst like a bubble. .COM registrations increased long after growth in underlying value began to decline... and is only now beginning to recover.

So....

A couple months ago, some folks said .INFO has no value. Now folks are discussing how many sales are in the three or four figures.

A couple months ago, some folks said that there were no genuine working .INFO websites. Now folks are discussing what percentage of .INFO sites are working. Thewitt reported data showing a higher proportion of working websites for new .INFO registrations and .COM registrations.

For my two cents, the jury is still out. It is very difficult for an extension to take off without big business buy-in which has been meager thusfar ... at least in the U.S. I do think, however, that a COMopoly investment strategy is a big risk. I prefer a diversified .COM/.INFO portfolio. We shall see.

T

Tee

Now that makes a lot of sense imo Domebase.

Diversification is always good.

And it is use that is ultimately important, not speculator bloat.

Eventually I'm sure the argument will come down to, well, .com was first!

:laugh:

The corporates will catch on, they are usually slow but they are good copycats and if they see .info being used successfully, they will want to tap into that, as it makes sense (pardon the complete pun) to do so.

Originally posted by safesys
Anyone else out there see more .org's than .com's?

For me, tv, newspapers, posters, vans etc I see .com's aplenty - and I live in the uk where we also have .co.uk.

Only until I put my glasses on.

Miles

T

Tee

Here too they are used for nonprofits. Maybe because I'm in a big city, where there a lot of social services and special situations that require what .org sites generally provide, that I see so many org ads. I know from riding in the subway, 2-3 years ago, it use to be .com ads all over the place. Now, its hard to find even 2-3 while .orgs are everywhere (and the ubiquitous mta.info). I don't watch too much network television, mostly news and educational stuff which often have org sites attached to them. .Info will probably be cutting into that.

Still, just from looking around at what was and what now is, I see much less .com advertising, and NYC is like the epicenter of advertising. Its almost like they are embarrased to highlight the .com. Like its a negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom