Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Informal comparison: DNForum VS. The "Other" Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeluxeNames.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Someone started an informal comparison of the two forums on this thread but some DNForum members are needed to make the thread more objective:

http://www.name-pros.com/showthread.php?t=203779&page=1&pp=25

This was my contribution:
That is a good question. I've been running some tests to see in which forum has better replies when I post the same thread in both forums. See the threads below to do your own comparing. I'm comparing the two forums on two dimensions:
Quality and Quanitity:

Winners:
Name-Pros wins on Quantity: When I put the same thread in both forums, my Name-Pros thread gets more replies.

DNForum Wins on Quality: If you take an objective look at the two threads below, I think you'll agree that there is more quality responses in the DNForum thread. What I mean by that is people who know a lot more of the domain industry sharing their knowledge.

My Biases: I tried my best to be objective in this test. If I had any biases it would be that I feel like I have gotten to know Adam, the owner of DNForum to some degree through his posts and I like him. I know this about Adam, he is an amazingly generous and big hearted guy. I had been a member of DNForum for a long time and when I was down and out a few years ago, I swear he purposely paid way too much for two domains he bought from me because he saw it as charity work. I kid you not, he basically gave me a generous donation for two worthless domains because he felt bad for me (he doesn't even use these domains today). How do I know it was charity? Because he also did something else for me that I can't disclose, but trust me it was charity and that guy has a big heart.

I do also enjoy Name-Pros and I visit both forums every day.

The post comparison:

http://www.dnforum.com/f77/domainin...ead-152143.html
VS.
http://www.name-pros.com/showthread.php?t=196916

http://www.dnforum.com/f26/zilla-la...ead-147938.html
VS.
http://www.name-pros.com/showthread.php?t=190948

Domain Days 2024

synergy

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNF is by far a better forum for more experienced domainers, while the "Other Forum" caters to newbies and people just getting started in the industry.

I certainly prefer this community more.

LeeRyder

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I personally think of them, well.. to use a (perhaps bad) analogy, like cars:

One is a performance car, one if a SUV. Both have good and bad points and are good and get the job done to their intended audience.

I enjoyed ******** to a degree but I think the main failing there is the lack of guidance. True, there is a tremendous amount of help and information available and being consistantly updated, but that can (and will) happen here as well.

Still, there are other forums:

DomainState: Juvenile, highly one sided and extremely unfriendly players in the industry. If your not part of the "popular" crowd there, your a pariah.

SitePoint: I reall enjoy SP for the tech info available and is something I would LOVE to see DNF implement more so. However, seeing as they are more dev friendly, they are less Domainer friendly. Evidenced by their Pay Per Post sales forums.

*******: A very nice forum that just needs a few more players and some coding work.

So far my favorite is DNF though. I don't have the community here yet that I've had in other places, but I get consistantly many people PMing me out of the blue extending that hand of friendship, and that is a wonderful thing.

ohh, it starred out my words. Well, sorry, I didn't know they were banned words. just partaking in the discussion :)

DeluxeNames.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LeeRyder said:
I enjoyed ******** to a degree but I think the main failing there is the lack of guidance.

Lee and other posters, if you edit your posts by putting a "-" in between the ******* words, we can see what you're reffering to.

The other forums accuse DNForum of censorship because of our ****** but the fact that the mods have not deleted this thread proves them wrong and is very commendable of DNForum.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DeluxeNames.com said:
My Biases: I tried my best to be objective in this test. If I had any biases it would be that I feel like I have gotten to know Adam, the owner of DNForum to some degree through his posts and I like him. I know this about Adam, he is an amazingly generous and big hearted guy. I had been a member of DNForum for a long time and when I was down and out a few years ago, I swear he purposely paid way too much for two domains he bought from me because he saw it as charity work. I kid you not, he basically gave me a generous donation for two worthless domains because he felt bad for me (he doesn't even use these domains today). How do I know it was charity? Because he also did something else for me that I can't disclose, but trust me it was charity and that guy has a big heart.

Don't go ruining my reputation as an evil dictator. ;)

-=DCG=-

LeeRyder

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
ahhh ok Deluxe thanks :)

Think I'll leave it though, im thinking they are starred for a reason and don't want to push my luck lol

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I started checking out ******** a couple weeks ago. I also stopped checking out ******** a couple weeks ago. I didn't find any value there that I can't find here. The same silly names up for appraisal in both places.

Bender

Bending
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this thread (and his pair on "the other" forum) are useless.
Here people will love DNF, there will love the "other forum".
you need to ask this question on a 3rd place.

Anyway, do I really have to say it?:)
DNF is the place .

LeeRyder

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
ahh I wouldnt say that. that would be like only reading cnn.com and ignoring fox and bbc. you will only get one very skewed portion of the news.

Julio

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like NP I started out over there but now I am over here more! :)

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNF is more than a website.. its a "community".. and when you have a "community".. it beats living anywhere else.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Each forum serves a different group of people. One is not better than another.

Adam is truly a class act. I have enjoyed every conversation I have had with him.
And, look forward to having more.
(Adam, you still owe me a beer. Maybe, in Miami.)

As for NP and DS, they have their advantages.

In my case, I have a limited amount of time that I can hang around somewhere.
And, I spend 70% at DNF and 30% at DS.

As for wanting to create an atmosphere of "us against them". That is not
proper business conduct. And, I'm sure Adam, Ron J, and the boys at DS
would not promote that type of discussion.

Bottomline, you get out of the forum what you put into it.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Name pros has the best community atmosphere, and I think RJ has done a heck of a job there. By far my favourite of the communities, but at the same time, I spend most of my time here.

Domainstate is run by an excellent group of guys who are constantly around, contribute enormously to the community. DS has a nice atmosphere that is not so much focused on buying/selling but on analysis of the domain name industry and everything related to it. I try to visit DS every often but sometimes cannot even keep up with the conversations :)

DNF is a commercial community and its serves my interests best which is why I frequent here. The paying for membership sort of attributes to the basic community atmosphere. DNF is the largest active community with regards to sales, and many buyers frequent here, which is good for sales. I can also occasionally pick up a few nice deals :) Adam has done well in keeping the forums active and keeping the community strong. I recall when the exclusive memberships were being introduced a lot of members were pretty peeved but it seems that has passed and it has been smooth sailing since. I am happy with the way DNF is being run as well.

I think the domain industry is very lucky to have 3 great forums to choose from (there are more, but the main ones).

Our little domain name community specturum

Left: ********
Center: Domainstate
Right: DNForum

Just my objective 2 cents.

- Jordan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, I've never sold or bought a domain "there" (althoough I have tried "there") but have done both "here." :)

MJM

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In my opinion - NP is to Dnforum as Dnforum is to Domain State.

Domain State is #1 for experience. Great set of admins, and wonderful community.

But as we can see I'm posting my opinion on DNF. So obviously I like this place as well.

VisualDigits

The One
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wtf is Domain State? DNF is the one and only.

daddypi

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My favorite quote from the other thread - I found it to be hilarious!

"********, DNForums looks like a kiddies forum, it needs a new deisng, tidying up and cutting down. If i was in charge of that place it would need almost a complete tear down."

MJM said:
In my opinion - NP is to Dnforum as Dnforum is to Domain State.

Domain State is #1 for experience. Great set of admins, and wonderful community.

But as we can see I'm posting my opinion on DNF. So obviously I like this place as well.

I like the Domain State people - but there isn't any activity on the forum. It's as dead as can be.

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
daddypi said:
"********, DNForums looks like a kiddies forum, it needs a new deisng, tidying up and cutting down. If i was in charge of that place it would need almost a complete tear down."

That had to be from someone who has conducted little to no business here lol

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domain State is horrible...waste of time in my opinion.

Name Pros is severely unprofessional with people bashing sales threads left and right and dozens of newbies appraising .cc and .sc names for thousands. However, it does help teach some of the newer members of the industry some of the ropes.

DNForum is where I make 99% of my sales and where I gain 99% of my knowledge. There isn't much else to say...DNForum is number one by a mile.

Basically, to put it in terms I know well:
Domain State = a Yugo
Name Pros = a Toyota
DNForum = a Porsche

kevmacmeh

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Personally, i prefer Namepr0s as i feel it has a very good community spirit and everyone is willing to help each other. Maybe im a bit biased since i only joined DNForum last month, but maybe my views will change when i post some more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom