Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Initiating negotiations while protecting domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainMillionaire

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I havnt been actively domaining for a while but I have some names which basically point to an "under construction" sign.

I keep getting emails with interest in buying names, sometimes from genuine people. I was wondering how ones goes about negotiating with genuine buyers while at the same time, keeping it safe, making sure they dont use the email content to UDRP or whatever else technique people use these days to usurp domain names.

Also is there anything else besides pointing to an under construction sign I should be doing to protect the names ?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
If they initiate the offer, this can't be used against you even if things go south with negotiations. However, there is no safe recipe. Obviously, stay away from trademarks.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I havnt been actively domaining for a while but I have some names which basically point to an "under construction" sign.

I keep getting emails with interest in buying names, sometimes from genuine people. I was wondering how ones goes about negotiating with genuine buyers while at the same time, keeping it safe, making sure they dont use the email content to UDRP or whatever else technique people use these days to usurp domain names.

Also is there anything else besides pointing to an under construction sign I should be doing to protect the names ?

If they initiate the offer, this can't be used against you even if things go south with negotiations. However, there is no safe recipe. Obviously, stay away from trademarks.

Hi

for added security, ask outright in your reply, some of the questions below:

"you hereby declare that you do not hold a tm on this domain"

"you declare that your offer on this domain, is not an attempt to gather evidence for filing a udrp/wipo or any other claim against us as owner of this domain."

"we will not negotiate unless you reveal your full indentity"

etc, etc.

for more info:

https://www.icann.org/en/help/dndr

BTW: an "under construction" page that exisits for a duration, can indicate that you have no viable interest in the domain.

as i'm sure some of the inquires will say that "since you aren't using the domain, then..."

and depending on what "panelists" sits on your case, they could interpret this paragraph below in any manner they wish

you are making a legitimate noncommercial or fair use of the domain name, without intent for commercial gain to misleadingly divert consumers or to tarnish the trademark or service mark at issue.

so an under construction page may not satisfy that "legitimate" usage clause

sometimes you're damned if you do and damned if you don't, so may as well park it and earn some cash

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom