Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Interesting End User "Case Study"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is just a small end user "case study" which demonstrates how some end users view domain names.

My buddy is looking for me to help him build a website for his photography business. When I asked was his domain was he responded with a very long 3 word .ca domain.

I explained how ideally you want to own both the .com (which is taken) and the .ca because you may end up having some people not entering the TLD properly.

I suggested if he wanted to purchase any .com domains (or buy the .com version of whatever .ca he's going to register) and he pretty much ruled that out.

Now I understand that he probably doesn't have the capital to buy a great name, but purchasing an ok name is better than a long tail domain.

Anyway, I've given him some suggestions on some shorter more memorable .ca domains.
We'll see where that goes. Obviously he can still build a successful business and he is a very talented individual.

But it just intrigued me how the average person or average person looking to start a small business values domain names.

We assume that everyone is on the same page as us because we have done a lot of research on domain names, but not everyone "gets it".

Skinny

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Even among domainers few 'get it' :)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is just a small end user "case study" which demonstrates how some end users view domain names.
At some point from immediately after Thanksgiving to the beginning of December, I will be meeting with the director of an MBA program and the IT director of a 7 hospital chain (with an additional 100+ clinics throughout North Carolina) on the way to perhaps better connect (via internet and intranet) all these facilities. The goal is to present all the individual facilities as a seamless single unit to its hundreds of thousands of customers.

I had mentioned some medical sites I had to the director of the MBA program. He said he was meeting with the IT director and would like for me to sit in.

It is absolutely amazing how little business people know about the workings of the internet, including domain names. A sticking point is to procure a name for a site like this. Names of hospitals and institutions can be very lengthy and prone to typos. I have narrowed a name down to a 6 letter catchy easy to say selection. But, the decision will not be mine.

I swear, I need to start charging a "consultation" fee. But, I want to be in the good graces of these two individuals.

This leads me to something else...name squatting. A tremendous amount of hospitals, clinics, and specialties do not own their names (as we all know).

I wonder if it is time for an additional specialty extension (like .edu) to designate a medical facility or specialty? I know some have tried to pawn off .pro as fitting that bill but it does not. With the release of new TLD's, I would not be at all surprised to see industry defining URL's come out - for instance .tech or .med - just as an example.

rngrdanny22

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it is time for an additional specialty extension (like .edu) to designate a medical facility or specialty? I know some have tried to pawn off .pro as fitting that bill but it does not. With the release of new TLD's, I would not be at all surprised to see industry defining URL's come out - for instance .tech or .med - just as an example.

I idea for .med is great!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I idea for .med is great!
Might also be a call for .rx for online pharmacies.

The registry would limit the release of and registration of names to legitimate online or free standing facilities.

Just some thoughts. The next couple of years will be interesting to see the release of numerous names and brands.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've actually started thinking this year that more people are starting to 'get it', I think it's slowly happening, especially when there is less and less good quality names to register.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ive been dealing with small businesses for a while and they all act in such idiotic terms. Even though you explain to them the value of an aged .com and combination of keywords that targets the users they are marketing to, they still argue that they see no value in a domain name other then using it just to point to a business card!

Domainers are by far the worst, let me rephrase myself ROOKIES argue and low ball you everyday with such stupidity. The market is undervalued and its not going to change its only going to get worse with APPS dominating tomorrows market (already is on smartphones!).

But I'm still making money and will continue to do so until its over.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Cant' wait for .nurse, preferably buxom.nurse :D

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Ill reg one!

bedside-nurse.jpg

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Even among domainers few 'get it'

Sadly this is true as well.

@Gerry Sounds like an interesting meeting. I hope it goes well.

Ive been dealing with small businesses for a while and they all act in such idiotic terms. Even though you explain to them the value of an aged .com and combination of keywords that targets the users they are marketing to, they still argue that they see no value in a domain name other then using it just to point to a business card!

This is true. Many just don't spend enough time thinking up a good name for a business or registering keyword domains to boost their business.

The market is undervalued and its not going to change its only going to get worse with APPS dominating tomorrows market (already is on smartphones!).

Your Apps comment is very interesting. I'm not sure if I agree or not. I've read articles on that subject as well. Only time will tell.

Skinny

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@Gerry Sounds like an interesting meeting. I hope it goes well.
Honestly, I am not sure what to expect.

You have a person who is over the MBA program and a person who is the Chief Technology Officer (I think that is his title). I am not sure if I am out of my league here.

Bottom line, if the powers-that-be have preconceived notions on how to go about doing something then there is typically very little room to sway opinions.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Actually, not out of the realm of possibility (the .rn or .nurse).

Statistically, I believe they make up the largest segment of healthcare employees.

No matter how many times ICANN't says it is not the case, this is a money grab. With a attitude nearly anything goes as long as you can pay the fee, they open the doors that can't be closed.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Another thing businesses tend to not realize and I see it all the time.

On the back of George's Air Conditioning:

www. GeorgesAC. com

Great domain for them but....

Email: GeorgesACSalesandService547 @ yahoo.com

Wouldn't sales @ GeorgesAC.com be better? Then you can also have service @ GeorgesAC.com and so on - plus a catchall for mis-typed email addresses.

(Spaces added to remove linking - but you get the picture)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Not as bad as Frank Gay Plumbing :D

Another thing businesses tend to not realize and I see it all the time.

On the back of George's Air Conditioning:

www. GeorgesAC. com

Great domain for them but....

Email: GeorgesACSalesandService547 @ yahoo.com

Wouldn't sales @ GeorgesAC.com be better? Then you can also have service @ GeorgesAC.com and so on - plus a catchall for mis-typed email addresses.

(Spaces added to remove linking - but you get the picture)

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
He may not need to get anything except a slight variation of one or two geo photo names.

If he is small time, in a specific area, all he needs is torontophotography for example. Having a premium name like photos photography etc is worthless and a bad investment.

Sometimes "we" get it so much we don't get it at all :)

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
One person is hardly a small case study.

That seems to be more of a canadian thing than global.

I have never had a client want a long tailed .us over anything.

For photography you got to get a good geo plus keyword .ca and .com since he is more inclined to market photography only in Canada than make a global brand.

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes I do understand that being local it isn't bad to own the .ca.

But even then . . torontophotography or something similar isn't something he is looking to purchase even in the .ca market.

Instead he prefers a long tail domain .ca.

He can still make the business succeed, but having a good name (even in the .ca space) will give him a boost.

Skinny

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Its a simple enough point to make to him, tell him the longer it is the less money he will make.

Right after that ramble of a 4-5 word domain and its counter part of 2 words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom