Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Interesting End User "Case Study"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One person is hardly a small case study.

That seems to be more of a canadian thing than global.

I have never had a client want a long tailed .us over anything.

For photography you got to get a good geo plus keyword .ca and .com since he is more inclined to market photography only in Canada than make a global brand.

That's because a .ca outperforms a .com in the Canadian Market. Users in Canada are guaranteed Canadian Pricing when they visit a .ca site, the out performance is only strong in few sectors of the Canadian Market.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I idea for .med is great!

I love it too.

Besides the fact that in a regulated profession such as medicine, a restricted TLD similar to .edu definitely implies legitimacy, what I also like about .med is that it's compatible in multiple languages.

English = medicine
Spanish/Italian = medicina
French = la medecine
German = medzin
Romanian = medicament
Swedish/Danish = medicin
Polish = medycyna
Norwegian = medisin

This allows for global compatibility and recognition of the TLD.

The question is, who would regulate it?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I love it too.

Besides the fact that in a regulated profession such as medicine, a restricted TLD similar to .edu definitely implies legitimacy, what I also like about .med is that it's compatible in multiple languages.

English = medicine
Spanish/Italian = medicina
French = la medecine
German = medzin
Romanian = medicament
Swedish/Danish = medicin
Polish = medycyna
Norwegian = medisin

This allows for global compatibility and recognition of the TLD.

The question is, who would regulate it?
Yes, it translates well.

But, what to include and restrict? Medical suppliers? Medical equipment? Medications? Medical Marijuana?

I think the market is ripe for niche names that are restricted. Thus, as you point out, adds legitimacy.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, it translates well.

But, what to include and restrict? Medical suppliers? Medical equipment? Medications? Medical Marijuana?

I think the market is ripe for niche names that are restricted. Thus, as you point out, adds legitimacy.

Well, I think that a great deal of research is due to determine just what aspects of medicine would benefit most.

As manufacturers of medical equipment need not be licensed in a way which is at all parallel to that of a medical doctor, I don't think they should be allowed to use the TLD.

This is also because all persons within a company, would, in turn, have a .med email address. And I don't think that, say, engineers, for example, should have one, as engineering is a completely different discipline than medicine.

Additionally, pharmacies are often held within other commercial enterprises such as drugstores, so separating the websites/emails for each would be more difficult to do.

I think that for domains, it should be restricted to one per practice, with one corresponding email address within said practice (i.e. drmaxwell.med, [email protected]) to act as general delivery for the office/clinic/what have you, and further emails within the domain must be registered with the corresponding license number of each practitioner.

For example... let's say I'm a doctor at DNF Hospital.

DNFHospital.med is registered under the hospital's name. [email protected] gets distributed according to administration's instructions so that emails may be internally distributed as necessary.

In order for you to get an email address, it must be your registered name with the medical board, and your license number is required to be given to the registry in order to create your email address.

Once this is done, my legal name being Maxwell Arnold, would require my email to be [email protected].

The other advantage of this all is that it's a great cash cow for the medical board, as they can charge an annual fee for the use of the .med TLD, and if it's made a requirement, then, well... there's nothing to talk about for the doctors.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, I think that a great deal of research is due to determine just what aspects of medicine would benefit most.

As manufacturers of medical equipment need not be licensed in a way which is at all parallel to that of a medical doctor, I don't think they should be allowed to use the TLD.
This is all hypothetical. I just made that extension up.

But this clearly illustrates the benefit of defining sectors of industry, commerce, and education.

The .edu is a very trusted brand and mark because of its heavy restrictions. Perhaps .org could have at one time attained such prestigious status had it limited its usage.

The problem arises from the determination of what is and is not legitimate for usage. If .org was limited to only those that had a non-profit status on file, who is to say that one is less (or more) worthy than the other? Something like the United Negro College Fund is just as legitimate (in non-profit status for the registration of) an Aryan nation group who has a non-profit status on the books. Southern Baptist religion vs. the Jamaican religion that worships pot (actually a case in Florida - it is a church).

If it is .med, does this include (or alienate) faith healers, herbologists, folk medicine, tribal medicine, etc simply because they do not fall within a set of standards? each is equally recognized by many millions of people.

Honestly, I feel that very cut-and-dry and simple criteria is best...just like many country codes.

Want a .jp? Live in Japan. Same with .ca - restrictions apply; meet them or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom