Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Internationalized Domain Name Violations!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nnh

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Have just recieved notification from godaddy that one of my IDNs is in violation of new guidelines RFC 5897 determined by Verisign!!!

This domain £s.net was registered in 2006. What can I do about this, and can they force a cancellation??

D

DavyBUK

I think all symbol domains are being removed from being able to be registered or renewed under the new guidelines and yes they can cancel as it will be Verisign removing it from their own registry rather than Godaddy removing anything...

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You are not alone....all symbol domains are now being deleted from the system. This is not a "surprise", they have been destined for deletion from the system for years, and that was pretty publically posted on most IDN forums, even so some still said it wasn't going to happen.

At any rate, below is text of the letter that most registers sent out to let people know this is happening. The "good" LOL....is that you get a partial refund of your reg fees (see bold below). The bad news is if you bought any for big bucks you are out your investment. :sigh2:

QUOTE:
Reference below for the complete message we have received from the com/net registry operator on March 7 -

As you may know, the IETF/IESG has adopted RFC 5891, which applies to Internationalized Domain Names in Application (“IDNA”). Compliance with this new RFC is necessary to ensure the security and stability of registry operations. RFC 5891 affects allowable second level strings in IDN domain names. As such, and in compliance with RFC 5891, Verisign implemented filters to block registration of disallowed strings, and updated our Software Development Kit in early Q1 2011. In addition, Verisign will insure compliance with RFC 5891 by deleting existing domain names and child hosts from the .com and .net databases.

You are hereby given 120 calendar days notice that Verisign will delete the attached registered names from the .com and/or .net databases. The attached names will be deleted on the 121st calendar day after the date of this notice, as measured by United States Eastern Time.

As a courtesy, Verisign will issue a credit to your account with Verisign for any deleted domain names pursuant to this notice, which will be calculated as follows: for each deleted domain name, Verisign will determine the remaining registration period as of the date of this notice and round it up to the nearest year.

Pursuant to Section 2.11 of the .com and .net Registry-Registrar Agreements, registrars are required to comply with (and include in their registrant agreements) an obligation for the registrant to comply with, operational standards, policies, procedures and practices of the registry as established from time to time. As such, you are directed to provide immediate notice (and in no event later than ten (10) calendar days after the date of the instant notice) of these actions to the affected registrants. END QUOTE

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GD's note is a lot less specific, I received 2 of these yesterday.

These don't look like a symbol domains to me: おいしいお米.com and 桐たんす.com
=======================================================================
Dear Customer,

We are contacting you to advise you that the following domain name(s) have been determined
by Verisign to be in violation of new Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) guidelines set forth
in RFC 5897:

XN--N8JAQC7D5989D.COM

Unfortunately, due to the violation, the domain name(s) will be canceled. If applicable, we will
be issuing a refund for the remaining registration period. We appreciate your understanding
and encourage you to review RFC 5897 for further information at the following link:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5891

If you have any questions, please contact us by responding to this message.

Thank you,

Domain Services

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for the real IDN.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The bad news is if you bought any for big bucks you are out your investment. :sigh2:
Well, if it's only the symbol domains that are affected, they were never worth anything. If you bought any at a premium: lol.

GD's note is a lot less specific, I received 2 of these yesterday.

These don't look like a symbol domains to me: おいしいお米.com and 桐たんす.com
Isn't it a mix of Chinese and Japanese or something ? I know that mixing language scripts in IDNs is not allowed.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I've been saying it for years that IDNs are dropping like flies :D

nnh

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you for these replies. So basically we have been ****ed by verisign!! Whats new there!! I don't think I can be arsed to argue this...there is very little investment potential in domain names now anyway! RIP IDN

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you for these replies. So basically we have been ****ed by verisign!! Whats new there!! I don't think I can be arsed to argue this...there is very little investment potential in domain names now anyway! RIP IDN

Send me a list of your IDN via pm along with prices. I'd expect them to be low along with your expectations shown in this thread. Although I'm sure I won't get that pm.

nnh

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Send me a list of your IDN via pm along with prices. I'd expect them to be low along with your expectations shown in this thread. Although I'm sure I won't get that pm.

PMd...

Update from godaddy as I threatened action against this cancellation!!
"notified by Verisign that the enforcement of RFC 5891 has been put on hold and the time frame indicated in our previous communication to you is not currently in effect".

Might I would suggest others threatened with cancellations also threaten action!!

Go Daddy

GoDaddy.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We would like to take this opportunity to clarify the status of domain names associated with Verisign's International Domain Name guideline issue.

Verisign initially notified registrars, including Go Daddy and others, about domain names that Verisign believed were in violation of new International Domain Name guidelines (specifically in RFC 5897: XN--NBK611R.COM).

Verisign requested registrars to communicate the suspected violation, which we did. Subsequently, Verisign decided it may change its viewpoint ... though they have not yet confirmed a final position on whether the domain names are in violation of the guidelines.

Right now, none of domain names are being canceled as Go Daddy and other registrars await word from Verisign. Please know if Verisign determines the domain names are in violation, Go Daddy will be issuing a refund for the remaining registration period.

For more information on this, please email [email protected].

Thank you,
Go Daddy Domain Services

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been saying it for years that IDNs are dropping like flies :D

This guy has "symbol" domains....and you are correct that they are dropping but more like lead balloons.

"Real" IDN.com are making some smart people that got in early some nice ROI. ;)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great for GD to respond to the thread.

Oddly, I have not gotten a single peep out of moniker regarding this. Perhaps those are okay.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Great for GD to respond to the thread.

Oddly, I have not gotten a single peep out of moniker regarding this. Perhaps those are okay.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
PMd...
Might I would suggest others threatened with cancellations also threaten action!!

Threaten what action? The "list" I recieved from you was only the one cancelled domain. Symbol domains have been scheduled for deletion for some time. But you wouldn't have heard it on this forum. They only speak Ascii here.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
They only speak Ascii here.

IDN domains are like peoples that like to wear emu feathers and hold a watermelon while having sex: an extreme minority :D

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IDN domains are like peoples that like to wear emu feathers and hold a watermelon while having sex: an extreme minority :D

While many listened to what you and what others have said over the years. They were the ones hurt through the narrow minded world view presented and don't even realized it. Main keyword IDN domains, and even some brandables make great ROI. But then you wouldn't know would you?

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Your paternalistic style doesn't fly with me, or others.

Nice deflection. Oh, and I couldn't care less. As my give-a-shit meter's broke.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
♪ ♪ ♫ ♫ sing along ♪ ♪ ♫ ♫

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom