Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Internationalized Domain Names (IDN's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

basscaster

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion or advice on these? Will they work, are they just more marketing hype from Verisign, are they worth anything, great investment, waste of money, will/won't work with email servers, etc.

I have a few and I'm wondering if it's a great investment, or great waste.

http://www.idnnow.com/index.jsp

ExpireGuy

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
xbase234 said:
Anyone have an opinion or advice on these? Will they work, are they just more marketing hype from Verisign, are they worth anything, great investment, waste of money, will/won't work with email servers, etc.

I have a few and I'm wondering if it's a great investment, or great waste.

http://www.idnnow.com/index.jsp

Strange. This is my first time hearing about it and from my understanding
"Internet Users >>
Download the free i-Navâ„¢ plug-in. The i-Nav plug-in enables users to navigate the Internet..."
Users need the plug in to navigate to these new "internationalized domain names". Hmmmm.
I'll take the " Just more marketing hype from Verisign " for 300 Alex....(sorry I just watched Jeopardy)

basscaster

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, that's one of my thoughts on this, but there is a legitimate consortium that is promoting the interest of these names throughout world - without the plug-in, and actually configured at the server level. Some say it has legs; others say it will never happen. Just wondering from some of the more knowledgable tech folks here at DNF if this is possible (involves 7-bit, 8-bit, and 16-bit encoding).

madcamel

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Currently, most browsers except for IE, support IDNs natively (no plugin needed).
Next version of IE is supposed to supports IDN natively as well.

dillpupp

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
madcamel said:
Currently, most browsers except for IE, support IDNs natively (no plugin needed).
Next version of IE is supposed to supports IDN natively as well.

I was going to mention that too.In countries where they're actually used,browsers are already optimized.I think IDN's will remain intresting curiosities in the US for at least another year or so,while overseas they'll continue to quietly flourish.Then we'll start seeing larger and larger reported IDN sales on DNJournal (like the two this week) and eventually the rest of America will pay attention.
In a fantastic bit of news for myself and IDN exposure in general,I recieved an email this morning from Sedo saying my domain Diseño.com will be listed in thier Top Domains section.It will be in constant rotation on the Sedo homepage.It's the first domain I've ever owned to be invited into the Top Names section.
I'm not sure,but as far as I know,it's the first IDN to be listed there (not the paid featured column).I think it will begin appearing in rotation next week.I'm thrilled for my domain,I'm thrilled for IDN's.It's been a great week for them.

DomainEngineer

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Well we have over 1500 domains, and couple hundred of them are non-dot-COMs such as .us, .info, (and about 25 are .net, .org, and .biz together).

We have been acquiring domains since about late 1997/early 1998.

Frankly, even though we own about 200 non-dot-COMs, but in my view they will never match the King i.e. the .COM

So getting back to the orignal question in this post, I personally don't think any other kind of domain will ever be able to catch up to the .COM

But if you can get your hands on a great IDN or any other extension (except new.net type extensions), go ahead and get few.

With time they may eventually be worth something.

Regards,

basscaster

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
so it seems likely that there will be browser support for websites based on IDN's, but what about email servers - will they also be able to route email based on IDN's? If not, what will it take to get IDN's up to speed with email servers?

NameWolf

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think at the moment as the plug in support is not that spread, it is a waste of investment. Stick with the COM and other popular extensions.

basscaster

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
IDN's are available in .COM.

nicorlino

I BUY TRAFFIC NAMES!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If anybody has any German generic IDN domains with the tlds .com, .net, .de, .at, .ch please send them to me and include your asking prices.

Best Regards
Nico

rawkinrich

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have loads of IDN's. They will kick in next year, or a little later when MS release the compatible browser.

I also have one on Sedo's Top List :)

Rich

nicorlino

I BUY TRAFFIC NAMES!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
would you mind sending me a list to nicorav (at) yahoo.com with your asking prices?

Best Regards
Nico

rawkinrich

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nico;

I'll send you a list but pricing I'm not 100% sure of, as thier true value will be next year. But see how you go!

Rich

Email sent.

pleasedelete

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I prefer Chinese IDNs... Although the Chinese people currently prefer pinyin domains (using the English language) because they have been using them since the creation of domains, I believe characters will catch on. They are better for advertising, and are easier for non english speakers to relate to.

rawkinrich

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Its the same for any foreign language really, will be good for their local advertising to have their company name in their language.

rawkinrich

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think the 1 word .com's in all language's using IDN will be the most valuable. The german spelling of 'Books' sold for quite a packet earlier this year.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom