Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Internationalized Domain Names (IDN's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

basscaster

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
so browser support has been established, but this question is still open: When (or when) will email servers support IDN's? Even if the browsers support them, email servers must still configured. Any techies know how/when this will or will not occur?

madcamel

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
xbase,
It's not a question of mail servers. They don't need to support IDNs.
The mail clients need to support IDNs, they translate the IDN name to it's ASCII value (ie xn--skx) and the mail server will send the mail to the ASCII domain which is a legit address. Outlook is supposed to support IDNs along with IE. It can support IDN now using the plugin of verisign.

basscaster

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
correction to my post above - when will mail clients be configured? thnx for all of the responses

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I placed first bid, so come on guys, place your bids for
god.gif

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Spoofing and spammers could pose potential problems in the future for many IDNs.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if some computer security software in the future included an option to filter/convert IDNs back to their encoded ascii characters.

And I hate to think of the UDRP mess if and when IDNs become more widely used ... will the IDN or the underlying ascii characters have priority? That's really a matter for the legal forum, but I digress.

Ron

rawkinrich

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
valuenames said:
Spoofing and spammers could pose potential problems in the future for many IDNs.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if some computer security software in the future included an option to filter/convert IDNs back to their encoded ascii characters.

And I hate to think of the UDRP mess if and when IDNs become more widely used ... will the IDN or the underlying ascii characters have priority? That's really a matter for the legal forum, but I digress.

Ron

Agreed - a weird situation, we'll have to see. The most common IDN's (IDN's that mean something) we'll be high trafficked, and the spammers IDN's that mean nothing will just get blocked and reported.

But there will probably be a lot.

Rich

ctc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a few in my language....waiting still IDN is "really" established

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GeneralBill said:
I prefer Chinese IDNs... Although the Chinese people currently prefer pinyin domains (using the English language) because they have been using them since the creation of domains, I believe characters will catch on. They are better for advertising, and are easier for non english speakers to relate to.
I always have reservations about IDN, esp. for non-alphabetic languages e.g. Chinese. Even when the part before the dot is familiar to native speakers, the part after the dot (i.e. TLD) is NOT. That's why when people are used to typing in "www." or ".com" into their browsers, I don't see why they would prefer a mental switch of languages in the middle of the course. My take is that before we have REAL IDN (with internationalized TLDs), these gimmicks are still ... gimmicks. Just my two cents.

basscaster

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I hadn't even thought of the potential for spoofing - it does deepen the conversation a bit.

I find the whole subject of IDN's pretty fascinating from both a linguistic and tech level. The usual dotcom namehunting has been a little boring lately (for me), and this topic caught my eye. I've bought a few interesting IDN's over this time, so it will be interesting to watch it play out.

The IDN commission has an audience with the UN, so the issue will not be going away soon.

Bramiozo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
rawkinrich said:
I have loads of IDN's. They will kick in next year, or a little later when MS release the compatible browser.

I also have one on Sedo's Top List :)

Rich

Which names ?

I didn't know there are IDN's in Sedo's toplist :) , nice to hear.

GeneralBill said:
I prefer Chinese IDNs... Although the Chinese people currently prefer pinyin domains (using the English language) because they have been using them since the creation of domains, I believe characters will catch on. They are better for advertising, and are easier for non english speakers to relate to.

All the Chinese name I tried to reg failed, where do you reg them ?

mrdelayer

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So, all Unicode characters are supported? Wait for someone to get something like hλlf-life2.com or something and get sued by VALVe. That would be funny.

edit: er, the reason for it being funny is that the addition of however many new characters Unicode supports is it allows for copyright infringement. I gave the hλlf-life2 example because the A in Half-Life isn't really an A, it's the lowercase Greek letter 'lambda' (λ).

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GeneralBill said:

I whole heartedly agree, then I should we already have over 1,000 mainly dot coms with a few special dot net.

The IDN market is the next klondike but the rush has not got going yet. We only got into this in February but already have about 2,000 Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic and Hindi.

Some of these domain will be worth >$1M and with three quarters of the Arabic Alphabet and much of the most valuable Japanese Hiragana single characters as dot com, with a good selection of single Chinese Glyphs, I am convinced we are in chase. In fact I am so confident of the value of our portfolio that I am now prepared to share the secrets of IDN registration with whoever has the courage to follow our lead!
What you need are:

1 An IDN converter
2 A good registrar
3 Good online dictionaries that feed back results in unicode. Many of these are free.

The first two can be satisfied at domainsite.com which charges $7.77 for a single full registration and accepts pasted in Unicode characters. The third could be initially satisfied at:

http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/wwwjdic/
http://www.shabdkosh.com/

Further dictionaries can be identified by searching on Google.

Sedo do not support IDN properly at the moment, but whilst the world is waiting for them and Bill Gates to get their act together, you might consider parking at DomainHop.com. (Please note me as referal: DWrixon)

To get your computer to work with Chinese and Japanese characters you need to activate East Asian Language under REGIONAL AND LANGUAGES in your Control Panel. Arabic, Russian and Hindi should already be supported.

To get Internet Explorer to support local characters you will need to download a plugin from Verisign at www.IDNnow.com. Opera and some other browsers already support IDN and some web sites also.

http://www.大力.com/ or http://www.xn--tfr35m.com/

Should you require further information email me [email protected].

Flash

Bramiozo said:
Which names ?

I didn't know there are IDN's in Sedo's toplist :) , nice to hear.

All the Chinese name I tried to reg failed, where do you reg them ?

Domainsite is the best place. Copy the unicode straight out of your online dictionary, paste in and register at $7.77 for a fully functional registration. What more could you ask!

Flash

mrdelayer said:
So, all Unicode characters are supported? Wait for someone to get something like hλlf-life2.com or something and get sued by VALVe. That would be funny.

edit: er, the reason for it being funny is that the addition of however many new characters Unicode supports is it allows for copyright infringement. I gave the hλlf-life2 example because the A in Half-Life isn't really an A, it's the lowercase Greek letter 'lambda' (λ).

Yep! I even picked up •.com as a drop! That should read like the diamond on a pack of cards. Guess DNForum isn't quite up to spead yet!

Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom