Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Invention.com Now At $265,100. On eBay!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
whoever buys this domain will make much more back through product/service sales directly, and i would assume ppc will only be a small part of the equation. you don't buy a domain like this and simply throw up a parking page.

Domain Days 2024

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would put the chance of a successful closing at 10 percent given that many of the top bidders have little history.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe ebay charges a 1-2% fee for reserve met auctions.. don't know if it can be disputed or not on a bidder that ends up not following through. That's a steep fee to pay.

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameYourself said:
I believe ebay charges a 1-2% fee for reserve met auctions.. don't know if it can be disputed or not on a bidder that ends up not following through. That's a steep fee to pay.

You are correct, it is a very steep fee. The fee however can be disputed if the buyer doesn't follow through. It is a pain though.

I don't believe it is a real sale. I'm not going to be so bold as to accuse the seller of having shill bids placed, but that is always a possibility.

I think this very much looked like an effort to pump up interest and expectations for the domain. It's a great domain, no doubt about it, but the real sale will most likely occur in private at a much lower price.

Just my thoughts.

M

mole

It'll be very interesting to see if this sale pulls off at $650,300, or a shill. I wouldn't have valued that name for more than $6,500 :approve:

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
businesses who might have been made aware of the auction recently probably didn't have an ebay account so i can see high profile domains being sold there to those with no or very little history, 95% of the accounts in ebay are individuals who wouldn't be able to purchase such a domain anyhow.

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
namewaiter said:
businesses who might have been made aware of the auction recently probably didn't have an ebay account so i can see high profile domains being sold there to those with no or very little history, 95% of the accounts in ebay are individuals who wouldn't be able to purchase such a domain anyhow.

That's a way of looking at it too.
But most companies would need some real time to consider plunking down $600,000 +. So, Ebay auctions don't really suit commercial companies that well.

And there aren't a whole lot of individual people who are busy buying domains at those prices.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
financialtraffic said:
That's a way of looking at it too.
But most companies would need some real time to consider plunking down $600,000 +. So, Ebay auctions don't really suit commercial companies that well.
Very true. In a corporate environment it may take some time to get approval from all those required. In some cases the marketing director can just discuss it with the CEO and come up with a figure within 10-20 minutes though.

financialtraffic said:
And there aren't a whole lot of individual people who are busy buying domains at those prices.
I feel it would be naive to think that.

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Steen said:
I feel it would be naive to think that.

Sure, you must be in a completely different world where these type of transactions happen a few times a day. Unfortunately most of us here are constrained to reality.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think the owner was doing the shilling since reserve was met and the person who won was the obvious shiller. If they were driving up the price they would have stopped after the reserve was met and wouldn't have been the winner. I also can't imagine the seller letting him bid as long as he did without atleast somehow confirming their existance and ability to pay. If it falls through and they don't pay it's their own fault for not doing so and will cost them loads of cash on a real sale.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
financialtraffic said:
Sure, you must be in a completely different world where these type of transactions happen a few times a day. Unfortunately most of us here are constrained to reality.
I wander around la-la land all day long.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to argue about this.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The domain is a little overprized, in my opinion. But a domain name is always
worth what the buyer is willing to pay, isn't it? Anyway, we should wait and
see whether the sale goes through.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It'll be very interesting to see if this sale pulls off at $650,300, or a shill. I wouldn't have valued that name for more than $6,500 :approve:

It makes that in 1 week on PPC.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameYourself said:
5 weeks according to the ebay ad.
Tihan says:
* Earns $5290 per month from pay-per-click advertising (30-day-average)
So:
Figure your split with the PPC partner, &
your ppc partner's split with the advertising network.

There are many hands in the cookie jar. Your mmv, depending on arrangements and position on the totem pole.

It's quite possible that the domain really earns more than molecricket's appraisal in just one measley week.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
Before 5-13-05, the domain was owned for many years by

Kroll, Michael
171 Stillwell Lane
Syosset, New York 11791
(516) 367-7777 Fax -- (516) 367-7776
[email protected]
he has the .net still. I was looking to apply for a patent in 98, and came accross Kroll's company. That was before I was on the net.

M

mole

MediaHound said:
It's quite possible that the domain really earns more than molecricket's appraisal in just one measley week.

Hey, don't knock the poor. :emba:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom